Author Topic: Buying A Pair Of Colt SAA -VS- Italian Replicas?  (Read 18221 times)

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Buying A Pair Of Colt SAA -VS- Italian Replicas?
« on: September 19, 2019, 11:18:33 PM »
I've been contemplating buying two new, old stock Colt SAA's (45 lc), with consecutive serial numbers 'if possible', but I am taking into consideration the Italian reproductions like from Taylor's And Company.

I was told Colt's are of better quality especially on fit and finish and that they also hold their value greater.

It's price difference that's astounding as two Italian's are less than or equal to the price of one single Colt.

Has anyone has this situation happen to them?  :-\

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Buying A Pair Of Colt SAA -VS- Italian Replicas?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 11:27:10 PM »
Nope...this is a completely unique situation   ;D

none the less  :P  opinions will expound and explicate   ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Smoke Wagon Leather Works
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 06:29:22 AM »
Hey, of you have the money, and it won't put you in the dog house, go Colt. If you don't, go Eyetalian.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:12:40 PM »

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 07:43:08 AM »
I've been contemplating buying two new, old stock Colt SAA's (45 lc), with consecutive serial numbers 'if possible', but I am taking into consideration the Italian reproductions like from Taylor's And Company.

I was told Colt's are of better quality especially on fit and finish and that they also hold their value greater.

It's price difference that's astounding as two Italian's are less than or equal to the price of one single Colt.

Has anyone has this situation happen to them?  :-\

If you can afford it get the Colts, you won't be sorry! They do hold their price and they stand up to rigorous shooting! I have a pair in .357, a third gen and a second gen. I also have a pair of backups that are a Pietta and a Uberti Cattleman.
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:04 AM »
Yep,  I have both , covet AND Shoot the COLTS ,  quite fond of the Ubertis as well

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 10:37:54 AM »

First a CAVEAT:  I am not a fan of Colt.  Hugely over-priced.  Recent quality has sucked.  All the other referenced stuff is none the less true.  A Colt will hold it's value longer.  You probably won't live long enough for it to appreciate enough to be an investment.  They were made to be shot ... so shoot them.

They will need action work.  They are going to be rough and over-sprung.  Lots of stone work, polishing and R&R the OEM springs.

Twer it I.  I'd opt for a pair of Pietta built GW IIs.  Well made.  The only thing they really need right out of the box is a change of Main Spring and whacking off the end of the base pin (two position dealy).  And you get (as you mentioned) two nice new guns for the price of ONE Colt.

Your call Navy 47.  We're a Lighthouse   ;D

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 11:50:10 PM »
Another baffling thing is what they are 'mostly' selling for online, The Blue Book Of Gun Values has these at 100% for $1,895 for an average Colt SAA model.
Yet sellers on a lot but not all websites that have them are selling them for mid to upper $2,000.
They are averaging about $1,000 above the BBOGV price and some are nowhere near 100 % condition. 
How can this be and what does that mean when trying to negotiate on buying a set of them?

Any suggestions as I am going to see a consecutive serial numbered pair tomorrow(attached).  ???

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2019, 02:38:15 AM »
Ah My Good Dispatch -

Firstly, I must predicate my overly verbose opinion with the caveat: I AM A CHEAPSKATE FRUGAL FELLOW.
As a frugal fellow, I am in agreement with our good friend  Mr Lighthouse Coffinmaker,
a pair of "out of the box ready" EMF (made by Pietta) GW IIs can be had for $1000.  For both.
The modern Piettas are very well made, excellent fit & finish, really great actions.

basic Colts, unfired (supposedly) seem to start around $2200 to $2500 online.
They are no longer being made, so Colt fans wax eloquent and bid high.

Colt internal quality is known to have been iffy in the last decade or so. 
Some  specimens feel like the action is full of grit.

It seems one can't depend on The Blue Book Of Gun Values whenever there are fools bidding guns online beyond any reasonable value.
Also the actual "value" of a pair of consecutive serial numbers is questionable - to some folks it adds value, others couldn't care.

Each person needs to figure out how much they are willing to spend, and more importantly how much they can safely blow on these toys without
affecting the domestic tranquility or impeding the repairs of important Stuff.

It's all a game, just as is the shopping, negotiating a price, or waiting for another pair - perhaps better or cheaper... perhaps not.

If buying from a reputable Local Gun Shop, one usually has some recourse ( ask for their policies upfront). With private parties that varies
conisderably more...

hope this helps
Prof Marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2019, 10:55:15 AM »

My Goodness.  Professor Marvel oft waxes so much more Eloquent than the rest of us lesser beings.

I, on the other hand, tend to bluntness.  Colt's SUCK.

Unfortunately, Coltistas will pay almost anything to acquire almost nothing and have driven the prices through the roof.  As have the USFAistas.  At least the USFA guns have the build quality to justify their original MSRP (almost).

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2019, 12:26:32 PM »
Colts may suck, but that is the name most associated with winning the West. "God made Man, Colt made Men equal."

At one time, Walmart was known for great prices on American made products. After Sam Walton died, it went to hell.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 04:38:14 PM »
Well, some may say "Colts suck" and as far as a comparison, I would agree!! (They ain't the "equalizer" they started off as .  .  .  ).  I'd rather ply my "trade" to a couple of Italian copies and show the Coltistas "what they could have" fer a whole lot less!!! Lol!!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 04:48:41 PM »

PLUS ONE too 45Dragoon!!!   ;D

Hi Mike  ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 05:16:14 PM »

Aw Crap.  Here I are again.  I forgot to make/clarify a point (no not on top my head).  Many folks lust after consecutive number guns.  I lust after consecutive number guns.  When ever I order a new pair of Cap Guns to Chop, Channel, French the Headlights etc. etc. etc. (stolen famous movie line) I always ask for consecutive guns.  Literally .. just because.  The Facts mam, Just the Facts (nother stolen famous TV line).

Consecutive numbers is meaningless.  Aside from being consecutive.  Mechanically, consecutive guns are never alike.  Are almost impossible to make "feel" alike.  There is no guarantee nor promise the guns were built up by the same technician (most aren't), on the same line (nope), on the same day (no way) or even in the same week.  There is no mechanical advantage to consecutive numbers.  Most "sets" of "special" guns you see as cased sets from the 19th Century are not consecutive.  A very few are.  SO:

For some reason, many collectors go GaGa over consecutive guns.  Pay stupid money for consecutive.  I don't understand why.  It's meaningless.  Except to some collectors.  In many cases, consecutive guns from USFA weren't the same caliber, same barrel length or even the same style of gun.  Go figure.  If the Consecutiveness of a pair of guns is a part of the asking price .... walk away.  Unless of course, you're a collector.  If a collector, you'll probably injure yourself grabbing for your checkbook.  Good Luck.

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »
Well, I just came back from looking at them, not a single mark on either one of them.

Absolute perfect condition, as new as if they were just shipped from Colt.

I felt like Homer Simpson salivating over a full box of brand new doughnuts.  :o

I mean, just look at that cylinder (attached)...

It was what the shopkeeper said as I was handed one is what stuck in my mind, in a stern voice he said "don't cock the hammer, don't turn the cylinder, don't slide the ejector"...

It dawned on me then, what I was ready to buy right there on the spot, was too good for what I wanted them for.

I thought how could I buy these and then seriously expect to use them, it seemed like a waste and I'd feel so guilty in doing so.

Not to mention the $4,500 -plus tax-, out the door offer they made me cooled my heels in putting any such wear on them.

Nonetheless, I have decided I will place a custom order with Taylor's And Company on Monday for a matching pair I like, in the caliber I want.

I guess it's like anything, you can't know about something until you look into it...  :-\

I'll keep you posted.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 10:17:56 PM »
Well Sir to each their own ?.

I'm not a curator , I have no inclination in that direction , no intention to be the steward of some object  or to save said object for the future profit of a heir.
If I bought it... it will be used as intended , cared for , even coveted , but used it will be ?.

I don't set any "tool " on any pedestal ?

That's not to say , I'm  reckless  either , I have a rare Griswold & Gunnison Confederate revolver, one of about 2500 produced , I know some of it'shistory
It is not nor have I ever shot it , it just beyond to do so safely ?.

COLT will cease to exist ?. bad corporate decisions, POOR union labor , high union demanded wages   , lousy State of manufacture , as in Connecticut !

Colt will go follow the dinosaurs - Winchesters - USFA - Oldsmobile, Pontiac - Excelsior Henderson.... the last nail is set....

Uberti is ALIVE and WELL as is Pietta

Henry Repeating Arms is selling a ton

I'll be sad to see the iconic Colt brand fade into history , I wish Beretta would buy COLT ...as I hear the Colt worshippers collective scream !

I have a Colt.... and Ubertis , and Henrys and they are all shot, and none suck.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2019, 05:34:18 AM »

It was what the shopkeeper said as I was handed one is what stuck in my mind, in a stern voice he said "don't cock the hammer, don't turn the cylinder, don't slide the ejector"...

Sooooo.
Pig in a poke
The action might be smooth as silk and the trigger break like glass
OR it could feel like a sack of gravel inside the works.
You can't even know if the chambers line up proper, or if the bolt timing is off!

I don't buy museum pieces that cant be handled.
so I guess I'll just keep beating the ol, Pietta drum....

good luck on your quest!
yhs
prof (i should get paid for this!) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2019, 02:33:33 PM »
Sooooo.
Pig in a poke
The action might be smooth as silk and the trigger break like glass
OR it could feel like a sack of gravel inside the works.
You can't even know if the chambers line up proper, or if the bolt timing is off!

I don't buy museum pieces that cant be handled.
so I guess I'll just keep beating the ol, Pietta drum....

good luck on your quest!
yhs
prof (i should get paid for this!) marvel

Yea, I took his comments as being testy, if I remember right, everyone in that shop seemed a bit agitated for some reason, maybe it was because it was also a pawn shop.
It's alright, it worked out to my benefit as it made me see clear that having two that I could actually use was the best decision.  ;)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2019, 02:50:39 PM »

:)   A wise decision Padawan.  4500 Bucks for a pair of SAA is ...... Obscene.  Trust me.  A wayward Coltista will actually pay that price.  P. T. Barnum said it best.

Offline Dispatch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 05:51:56 PM »
But my real question is this, like with the philosophical dilemma 'the chicken or the egg', the same applies to the gun... which came first the holster or the gun?  ???
 ;D

Offline Capt Quirk

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 08:02:16 PM »
The first firearms were too big to carry. After years of refinement, holsters came along.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com