Author Topic: 62 Pocket Navy--Problem Solved?  (Read 3235 times)

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
62 Pocket Navy--Problem Solved?
« on: April 27, 2017, 03:10:21 PM »
Over the last year or so I have been trying to get an Uberti Pocket Navy and 49 Pocket to behave. Both guns are new and were experiencing the same problem--hammer blowback. Both would do this even when simply snapping a cap! Was much worse when actually firing a load. Along with the blowback came the fired caps down in the hammer cut out of the frame. This was frustrating to say the least as you got one shot then a tie-up. I had done all the usual recommendations--hammer face was polished, Slix Shot nipples, Rem. #10 caps, action clean up, etc. I suspected the mainspring was weak and ordered two new ones. They were no different than the originals. So I cut one of the new springs roughly in half and mounted it under the original mainspring, in other words 1 1/2 springs. Things inproved slightly so I believed I was on the right track. I moved on to other projects and the Pockets were put on the back burner--but it kept bugging me. So last week I took a much stronger stock Colt SAA mainspring and fitted it to the Pocket Navy. It only took a little trimming at each end and it slipped right in. Hammer pull was heavier of course but not objectionable and trigger pull not too bad. Went to the range today--beautiful weather!--and had much better results. Fired the Pocket Navy 25 times with the usual load which is 15 grs 3F Olde Enysford, .375 round ball, lube on top of ball, Rem#10 caps. Out of the 25 rounds, 23 1/2 went off smoothly without any problems. Round #20 the hammer came back slightly(that's the 1/2) and round #22 had the only partial blowback and resultant cap suck. I suspected the hammer face, being quite dirty at that point may have led to the glitch as I hadn't cleaned it. The remaining 3 rounds went off with no issues.
  So, the stronger mainspring appears to have worked. I can live with the improvement. Over the last few years I have read nothing but complaints about the problems people were experiencing with these Uberti Pocket models. I had several of these guns 20 years ago and did not have these same issues. I can only assume that Uberti is now using a less powerful mainspring for the Pockets. So now I get to try this out on the 49 Pocket in a couple of weeks and hope for the same results. :)
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: 62 Pocket Navy--Problem Solved?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
And what is the diameter of those nipple holes?
Just asking.  ::)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »
Let us know how it goes with the '49 pocket pistols.  I have a pair that has never been fired but one never knows when I might get an itch.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:25:46 PM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
I've always thought that the 1862 pocket Colts were real sharp looking but never got around to getting one and now I'm out of my black powder phase. I once had a 58 repro Remington which turned into a Ruger Old Army. Good luck.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 05:38:20 PM »
Scattered Thumbs, the Slix Shot nipples(along with Tressos) have much smaller diameter holes than stock nipples, whether Uberti or Pietta. Sorry, too small for me to try and measure.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »
Wrong thread. Sorry
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Scattered Thumbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 08:10:14 PM »
Scattered Thumbs, the Slix Shot nipples(along with Tressos) have much smaller diameter holes than stock nipples, whether Uberti or Pietta. Sorry, too small for me to try and measure.

Ok. I thought they might be too large. But if they are smaller than the stock Ubertis it had to be the main spring.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com