Author Topic: 3rd Gen Black Powder Frame Colts  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
3rd Gen Black Powder Frame Colts
« on: May 14, 2016, 08:42:51 PM »
Colt's Custom Shop is now occasionally putting out SAAs featuring black powder frames. This along with the improved fit and finish the 3rd Gen is now displaying and the change from the press fit cylinder pin bushing to the removable bushing, as in the 1st and 2nd generations, made me go looking for a 3rd Generation Colt when previously I would have never considered it. I ended up with a used one (I'm the third owner) but except for a few turn lines on the cylinder this gun was very clean when I got it.

Other than the hammer's unfinished sides, which I intend to get remedied soon, everything about this gun is a delight. On my first outing I shot it along with two USFA single actions and a USFA parts gun. Although they are all good revolvers there is something distinctive about the feel and function of a genuine Colt. When it came to shooting, the gun turned in the best group of the four revolvers, and that despite having the heaviest trigger pull of any of them. I'm going to get that fixed too. As an added bonus, the gun shot to where the sights were looking, which with fixed sights is a big deal to me and always a great relief.

Given a chance (and the time to refill the strong box) I'd be more than willing to get another of these black powder framed 3rd Generation Colts. It really is a fine revolver and very representative of the early SAAs in appearance, but with the added bonus it is brand new and I can shoot it till I run out of ammo! (smile)

Dave

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: 3rd Gen Black Powder Frame Colts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 09:51:29 AM »
Dave, they really are more fun in pairs. ;D

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:48:30 AM »
A pair of Second gens to ogle.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:58:56 PM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 01:24:47 PM »
Pathfinder,

I am red, white & blue with envy. If those are indeed 3rd Gen BP frame Colts, where did you get your hammers CCH'd? They look perfect! Oh, and the stocks aren't bad either. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 02:02:48 PM »
Dave, both hammers came off of EBay. The originals are labeled and stored, along with the original grips. Gutta Percha for the Etched Panel and real ivory for the early 80s gun. The grips on the Etched Panel gun are going to be replaced with a pair like the ones on the other gun. They are from Buffalo Brothers while the two piece are from Altamont.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com