Author Topic: Need 10 gauge BP load information  (Read 7986 times)

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need 10 gauge BP load information
« on: June 09, 2004, 03:15:10 PM »
Howdy ya'll.  Any of you have a 'recipe' for 10 gauge black powder shotgun shell loads.  Any tricks, ideas, expertise, advice, caveats, etc. are most welcome.
OR
Are these commercially available? (probably cost too much, huh?)
SASS #54926
Mississippi Peacemakers,NatchezSixgunners
BOLD #H13
GAF #310; SBSS #1415; SCORRS

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Need 10 gauge BP load information
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2004, 08:28:46 AM »
My advise is, see a dentist to be sure all your fillings are tight because you will be jarring them with that 10ga.   ;D
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 02:28:21 PM »
Get a roll crimper, power drill or drill press, and shotshell vise.   I use fiber wads and shot cards from circle fly.  I use about 100 grs. of 1 fg to 2 fg, but for the moment I can't remember my oz. size of shot.  I do use #7 shot.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:35:29 PM »

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 11:06:35 PM »
Thanks, Shiloh and Tommy.  Now my real dilemma is whether to go ahead with the 10 gauge or 'spring' for an old mule-ear Stevens in 12 gauge.
Thanks, Pards, think I'll sleep on it.
SASS #54926
BOLD #H13

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2004, 09:06:09 AM »
Howdy Paper Chaser,

While yer sleepin' on it, I'm gonna give you my opinion:

Go with the Twelve Bore!!!

Unless yer a good sized pard, that 10 bore will give kick the bejeezus outta you! And componants fer the twelves are both cheaper and easier to find!

Admittedly the 10s are WAY COOL, but in the real world I think you'll be happier with the 12.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 09:33:32 AM »
It's funny that in the era we are trying to recapture the 10 gauge was felt to be the gun for serious work and a 12 was thought to be a light gun for upland game, much as we think of the 20 gauge today. 

Now I must admit that while writeing this I went and looked in one of my books to cite but alas I couldn't find anything to quote so I might be all wet about this but I know I read it in more than one place. ::)

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 09:16:06 PM »
Old time black powder shotguns are pussycats compared to modern nitro-powder ones.  ( more accurate term than smokeless)  After a little searching I found my Barnes Catridge book, (it was in the bathroom).  I wanted to double check and I was even right. 

4 gauge 4" case 3 oz shot max
8 gauge 3-3 1/4" case 2 oz shot
10 gauge 2 7/8" case 1 1/4 oz shot
12 gauge 2 5/8-2 3/4" case 1 1/4 oz shot

The 12 was often used with 1 oz shot for hunting.  The 10 gauge will pattern better with 1 1/4 oz shot than the 12 gauge because of the wider bore and more wadding to cushion the shot. 

When loading with black powder the besr results are most often when you load powder to shot equal on a volume basis.

One could load 1 or 1 1/8 oz shot in a 10 gauge very easily by using a longer wad column.  If the 10 gauge in question has a Damascus barrel on it the choice shoud be easy, go with the 12 gauge if it has drilled steel barrels. 

Damascus steel barrels are made of thousands of welds, in fact they are almost nothing but welding.  I know some folks are shooting them again but I would not. (I know a bit about welding and metalurgy)  They may be safe, but how would you ever be sure?  This is my opinion, others I know have different ones on that.  One thought on this, if your Damascus barreled gun blew up and killed someone or hurt them bad how would you stand up in court when they asked you why you shot it.  Almost every loading manual and box of shells says not to do it.

Judge I rest my case!
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Paper Chaser

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 10:02:26 PM »
 :) Thanks to all you Pards.  Being a 'tall and slim' person I decided the 10 gauge might just be a little much for me; did find an 'old' Stevens 311A'  12 gauge,and I mean old.  Would like to own the Claybrough but ... I think the Stevens will do fine.
P.S. Any of ya'll going to the All BP match in Austin on July 31?
SASS #54926
BOLD #H13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com