Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT - New Leadership  (Read 22123 times)

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
ANNOUNCEMENT - New Leadership
« on: February 19, 2013, 10:00:01 PM »
Hello, All:

When I contacted Marshal Holloway about getting the American Plainsmen Society its own board a couple of years ago, it was only with the intention of seeing if there was enough interest to form a legitimate organization. Obviously, the interest is there. We’re closing in on seventy members right now, and will be holding our first official Plainsmen Encampment in Kansas next month.

I tried to be up front from the beginning about not wanting to be a long-term leader. I knew my work would be increasing soon, and thankfully, it did. But while that’s great news for me, it isn’t helping our organization. Right now I’m working days and most evenings, and I don’t see that easing off for several years. In the meantime, we need a leader who can be more active on the board than I’ve been in recent months. So after waffling back and forth about this, I asked Tsalagidave if he would take over the reins of the American Plainsmen Society. Fortunately, he said yes.

Dave has been an active contributor on this board for quite a while. He’s well versed on our period, and shares the same goals as the rest of us -- an organization a step (or several) above your typical rendezvous, representing the 1840 to 1865 time frame.

I’ll continue to be a moderator, but as of tonight, Dave Rodgers has the reins. I’ll be shifting most of my information over to him in the coming days, and I’m sure he’ll be on here soon to outline what he has in mind.

I’ve really enjoyed getting to know many of you, and I have no intention of dropping out. I just feel the American Plainsmen Society has a lot of potential, and it deserves someone who can take it on to the next level.

Thanks,
Caleb

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT - New Leadership
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:42:14 AM »
Members of the board, I look forward to doing my part in continuing as Caleb has in done to  make this site a strong resource for the valuable research, discussion and friendship that makes this hobby worthwhile.

For those who don’t know me, I have 24 years in the hobby as a living historian, entertainer, shooter, trekker and hunter.  I share Calebs views on where we should take this group along with the fun and camaraderie that comes with it.

To the new member figuring us out, we are quite different from the mainstream SASS /CAS scene. SASS members and other Cowboy Action Shooters have costuming guidelines that cover a wide scope from “themed” and “Hollywood Westerns” to the “Authentic” outfits.  I personally think that SASS in general does a great service in promoting the culture of American gun ownership as well as the American West itself which is cherished and idealized worldwide. Our group also upholds these values but is more focused in pursuing historic accuracy to the period we represent.

Our goal is to uphold a standard of authenticity that is credible enough to present in a classroom as “a good example of how it was”. Some of us are into pushing the authenticity to replicate a bygone era as accurately as physically possible. Others go for the correct look but are not as  detail-obsessed. Either way, I am interested in being a part of helping you enjoy this hobby as well as bring in others to continue this hobby’s existence. There are a few things I was discussing with Caleb that I’d like to see our group focus on:

•   Regional camaraderie- we should seriously consider creating a means of allowing our members to connect with others within their local geography for the purpose of going to events or even honing their outdoor skills together at their own leisure. Forming small groups or messes is a good way to establish a better sense of belonging in a hobby.
•   New gear for newbies- Many of us have good second-hand gear that we are willing to part with at an affordable price for someone starting out. (That’s how I started and I still do it from time to time.)  We can make it available to those who would like to participate but are starting out on a tight budget. We should also develop a mentoring thread that answers the proverbial “dumb” questions that we all have or at least had when starting out.
•   Trail tips- I recommend that we keep a thread open to give helpful advice in regards to homesteading, campaigning and shooting. Along with the tips, we can cite historical documentation regarding its period application. Anytime I have tried this in the past on other sites, everyone came away learning more than they shared.

The people on this site are the proverbial “salt of the earth” types that I enjoy spending time with and I look forward to the many discussions and events yet to come. This is a great site and it is with great expectation that we can play a role in helping people rediscover the rugged individualism of America's dynamic frontier past.

I can't wait to meet you all.

Best regards.

David “Tsalagidave” Rodgers.
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 10:16:28 PM »
Congratulations, Dave!  I look forward to working with you with regards to our fine organization.  As well, I look forward to working with you on our somewhat "irregular" newsletter! LOL!

Best Regards,
Jake,aka Ron Clark
Paige, Texas

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:40:35 AM »

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:44 PM »
Likewise Jake. I will be corresponding with Caleb to ensure that I have what  I need in order to do the task. I've been a bit busy with work and other personal stuff that needed to be taken care of.

I am trying to get out this weekend to fire off a few rounds and take some notes on a few pieces that I have not logged much shooting time on yet.

-Dave

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »
Sounds good, Dave!  Maybe you can take a few photos and write up a small review on some of your "pieces" and I can incorporate then into the next newsletter.

Jake

Offline Jamestown John

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: 91158
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 12:00:13 AM »
Thank you Caleb for the vision and getting this going.
And thank you David for your leadership.

Jamestown John
Jamestown John

STORM #186
American Plainsmen Society #18

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:43:58 PM »
Thanks, Jamestown John.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »
Thanks John,

With spring-summer here, a lot of us will be heading out to various adventures and I'm sure we'll all have some tales to tell. I have done a lot of period sites but not in the period garb and I am trying to correct that.

I have compiled a list that I intend to load this week on how we can better network with one another. Also, since we are a small group, it has proven real tough to put together small events with any real turnout. Instead, we should work on having a camp at the larger events, rendezvous, etc.  In between, if a few pards plan an outing, post it on the site in case any other members happen to be "in the neighborhood".

-Dave

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 11:36:44 AM »
Dave, thanks for "taking the bull by the horns". The direction you propose will certainly benefit us all. As a amateur historian and SASS member I've focused on the 1870's time period but have recently been leaning a bit earlier. This entire CAS City site has been a tremendous resource for which I am greatful. It has opened up new areas of interest and renewed old ones. Best To You,   Navy Six
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 12:57:01 AM »
Thanks Navy Six, I have been really bogged down with work. Now that things are lightening up, I am starting out with a new series of articles regarding frontier life.

-Dave

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 01:48:36 AM »
I know this is a bit old, but I just want to say how excited I am to have Dave take the reins as it were.

Dave's been instrumental, without ever probably knowing it, when it comes to my persona of being a Southwestern Vaquero.  Congrats on the new stress, drama, and responsibility Dave! (old sailors saying when being promoted)
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 01:08:12 AM »
Will, thank you very much for the kind words. There is so much knowledge here to benefit from and I look forward as always to see what every member has to share. In the case of California and the Southwest, I have a few more things to help you with when you have the time.

It was a busy holiday season. Year end and 3 holidays always seems to pass like a whirlwind.  Right now, I am sitting in my Las Vegas hotel room getting ready for the big CES show. Between a heavy workload and all my personal writing projects, its been pretty hectic.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

-Dave

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com