Author Topic: Lee Alox Lube  (Read 1655 times)

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: #810
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lee Alox Lube
« on: August 12, 2021, 10:47:58 AM »
After I resize my cast bullets I use Lee Alox lube with Trail Boss powder and some times use a little to much. Before I reload I count out the number of bullets I will use, and then on a cloth I spray Brichwood Caseys Gun Blaster on a cloth on the bench and wipe the base of each bullet, then let it dry, as I think some powder might stick to the bottom of the bullet after reloaded. Does anyone else do this ,or do I need to worry about it. I have fired rounds before without wiping with no trouble, but just wondering, as I have pulled a few bullets from rounds and found powder sticking to the bottom of the bullet. Iam sure someone will say don't use so much and I realize that, but I just wondered if anyone else does this.
Thanks
Reno

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 584
Re: Lee Alox Lube
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2021, 12:22:14 PM »
After I resize my cast bullets I use Lee Alox lube with Trail Boss powder and some times use a little to much. Before I reload I count out the number of bullets I will use, and then on a cloth I spray Brichwood Caseys Gun Blaster on a cloth on the bench and wipe the base of each bullet, then let it dry, as I think some powder might stick to the bottom of the bullet after reloaded. Does anyone else do this ,or do I need to worry about it. I have fired rounds before without wiping with no trouble, but just wondering, as I have pulled a few bullets from rounds and found powder sticking to the bottom of the bullet. Iam sure someone will say don't use so much and I realize that, but I just wondered if anyone else does this.
Thanks
Reno

I've done it both ways and honestly cannot see that it made any difference one way or the other.

To be honest, I find the alox lube to be somewhat messy. I much prefer sizing and lubing all at once.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2021, 12:56:45 PM »
Thanks Froogal, I used to use my Lyman sizer luber, got tired of changing lubers for every caliber, and kind of like Lee sizers and only shoot mild loads in my handguns when shooting 25 yards or less.
Thanks again,
Reno

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:05:07 AM »

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 03:27:36 PM »
Thanks Froogal, I used to use my Lyman sizer luber, got tired of changing lubers for every caliber, and kind of like Lee sizers and only shoot mild loads in my handguns when shooting 25 yards or less.
Thanks again,
Reno

I don't change the lube. SPG works just fine for everything I shoot.

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 03:42:52 PM »
 For years some of the bullets I cast do not need resizing, and with the ones I use with black powder I pan lube with SPG. Fast and simple.
Reno

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2021, 08:11:35 PM »
I've used liquid Alox on a LOT of cast bullets for at least thirty years.  I've never wiped the base of the bullet and never had any problems with it.  (For what it's worth.)
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2021, 06:27:50 AM »
Thanks to all for your insight.
Reno

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2021, 09:27:13 AM »

:)  Well . . . Hi Guys  ;)

I'm just sitting here trying to figure out WHY anyone would be concerned with powder sticking to the base of reloaded bullets ??  Trust me, manufacturers of commercial ammunition don't wipe the base of bullets before initial loading.  There is also the thought of the really really hot hot fire in the cartridge as the bullet begins it fated journey down the barrel.  Burn baby burn.

Understanding I don't cast my own bullets (anymore).  When I did cast my own bullets, I used one lube for everything.  I don't remember what it was, but I found a really good lube for BP and used that in the luber/sizer for everything.  The bullets came out of the L/Sr and went into a box till loaded.

What they looked like on the base, at the other end of the journey never really caused me any pause.  Nary a thought.  Nor concern.  Not a consideration.  SO:

NO.  I don't, didn't, haven't and won't bother to "lube" the base of the bullet before loading.  Nope, Nada, Nix, nerdy Never.

Play Safe Out There

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 11:06:21 AM »
I have been casting and reloading my own for 50 or more years, and I didn't mean to upset some people, I just wondered if anyone did it, as I had never done it before and had never worried it in all those years. Just a question.
Thanks again for all replys,
Reno

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 12:41:27 PM »
FWIW - I used to use the Lee alox as it comes out of the bottle for some smokeless loads.  But it seemed to take a long time to dry. I now use of 50/50 mix of Johnsons paste wax (JPW)/Lee Alox.  It dries a lot faster and works just as well.  After they've dried a bit, I tip them over to let the base air dry for a few minutes. Its probably not necessary, but I do it anyway.   
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2021, 08:54:15 PM »
I always just let them dry overnight.  I'm usually not in THAT big a rush, unless of course I plan poorly (which does happen on occasion).
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2021, 08:10:59 AM »
On the occasions that I use Alox I will mix it with 90% alcohol if it has been sitting for a while. Lay the bullets in the sun and let them dry. Not much alcohol as little goes a long way.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2021, 10:12:50 AM »

:)  Oh Please Reno  ;)

There is/was no irritation, real or imagined.  Just having a mite of fun with the subject matter.  Apologies if it seemed that way.

Play Safe Out There

Offline reno

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
Coffinmaker, no problem, like I said it was just a question.
Reno

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 07:02:49 AM »
On the occasions that I use Alox I will mix it with 90% alcohol if it has been sitting for a while. Lay the bullets in the sun and let them dry. Not much alcohol as little goes a long way.
wM1

I use mineral spirits to thin out the alox.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2021, 07:18:03 AM »
I use mineral spirits to thin out the alox.
That works fine also.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com