Author Topic: Short rifle question  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Short rifle question
« on: June 30, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »
Just wondering if the short rifle term is a modern thing of if winchester ever advertised or sold them as such outside of a custom order. I mean a 20'' octagon cc rifle forearm sans barrel band. Thanks

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Short rifle question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 11:40:47 AM »
I don't know.  But I am going to guess that they didn't actually use the term "short".  You could order any length barrel you wanted, though.  Similarly, I wonder if they ever used the term "trapper" for the shorter carbines?  Seems like I might have seen that term used somewhere other than modern times, but not sure.

Offline Boone May

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Very Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5904
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2022, 04:49:58 PM »
In the early days of the 1873 longer than standard length barrel rifles (26-30 inch) were somewhat popular.  If a shooter wanted something shorter than the standard 24 inch barrel, they bought a carbine. 
After the turn of the 20th century long barrels went out of favor and shorter barrel 1873's became more common.  According to Madis in his "The Winchester Book" many of these short rifles went south of the border.  Short barrel carbines also became more popular.
The short rifle is not a modern invention but was not popular in the heyday of the American west (roughly 1875-1900)
"There are a few things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:20:40 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com