Author Topic: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.  (Read 86851 times)

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Horseless Carriages and Iron Ponies.
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2009, 07:55:55 AM »
It would be worth a lot of money, especially if it had the 440 Six-Pack option.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »
A friend of mine from the neighborhood had a '70 Challenger with the 340. Kind of a metallic copper or brown with the same color interior and a brown vinyl roof. beautiful looking ride, and sounded wicked. He had it for about three months and rolled it in a corn field..........TOTALLED................Buck ::) :o :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »
I had a friend in college that bought a new 68 Baracuda with the 383 and a 4 speed. It was a screamer.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #103 on: Today at 11:54:22 AM »

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2009, 12:55:27 PM »
The 383 was a darn fine engine. I had one in a Coronet 440, long ago.  In fact, it's one'a my favorites, just below the chevy small block V8's (307/ 327/350) that I've always loved.
Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »
It was a tough engine. The only Mopar I ever owned was a 74 New Yorker coupe with a 440. It ran pretty good for a big car.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2009, 09:16:33 PM »
I had a 71 Newport with a 383. Plenty of power.
I had a 77 Charger with a 400 after that. It was a dog compared ta the 383.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2009, 02:25:35 AM »
In 79, Mopar came out with a Police package Newport. I got issued my 79 in 80. It had a 360 4 barrel. In 80, they went back to the Gran Fury, which also had the 360. The 81 model had a 318 in it, it was a dog. They down-sized the Gran Fury in 82, but kept the 318. It was a dog. We drove them until 84, then I moved to the county. We had either Fords or Chevys.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2009, 10:47:38 AM »
And now an interesting video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CU-k0XmLUk&feature=player_embedded

Look it over, watch it a time or two, first saw it the thing surprised me how bad the 59 was tore up, figured the 09 passengers had a better chance than the un-belted ones in the 59, but expected it to fare better.  Thought about it and remembered something, not a true honest test, but they would need several more 59's to do it fully, see if you can figger out what they did to make it so bad.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2009, 11:19:04 AM »
The crash was offset and not straight headon.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
The crash was offset and not straight headon.

Yep with that x frame (top frame in picture)

the way it was hit, the frame rail works like a big lever.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2009, 01:51:52 PM »
They should try that with an old twin I beam Ford an see what happens.  I think you would see some differnt results.  It'd be like a jackhammer goin through that new car.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2009, 01:58:31 PM »
They should try that with an old twin I beam Ford an see what happens.  I think you would see some differnt results.  It'd be like a jackhammer goin through that new car.

Would not go through it like happened to the 59, modern cars with they're crush zones and the less crushable passenger compartment are very safe and absorb the shock instead of transfering it to thepassengers.  Would far rather be in a wreck in one of them than any car built 30 years ago and more.

Today the car is more disposable as it should be, saves lives and keeps badly rebuilt wrecks off the road.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2009, 02:10:59 PM »
I don't know about them new cars.  I was in heavy trafic in 35 zone an saw what happens when a PT cruiser hits a regular old stationary blue mail box.  Mail box did just fine, PT flung parts all over the road.  If they puts wheels and an engine in US Postal mail boxes I'd buy one.

Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2009, 02:33:35 PM »
I had a friend of mine build a meat smoker out of one of those old mail collection boxes. It was a good one. I don't know what ever happened to it after he passed away.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »
PT flung parts all over the road. 

The idea is not to have human parts all over the road, bet the folks in it walked away.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline J.D. Yellowhammer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Great-great-grandaddy Mack Cullars, 1864, CSA vet.
    • Being constructed as we speak...
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2009, 02:54:03 PM »
I'd rather be in my modern ford f-150. I'm relatively certain it'd take out anything smaller than a small tank.   ;D

Lunarian, n.  An inhabitant of the moon, as distinguished from Lunatic, one whom the moon inhabits. (Ambrose Bierce).  Which one are you?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2009, 03:24:37 PM »
I'd rather be in my modern ford f-150. I'm relatively certain it'd take out anything smaller than a small tank.   ;D

Well yes bigger is always better, but would take that 09 Chevy in a wreck that a much older large vehicle.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2009, 04:20:39 PM »
Hows about a DeSoto?  I'm sure you'll say no.  Deusenberg?  Alot of folks survived wrecks in both of them.

Roland Deschain

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »
Leo, It makes me sick to think about wrecking a Doozie if I had one, not quite as sad if I have a DeSoto.  They made last one in 61.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2009, 05:03:41 PM »
My great grandmother had a Doozie an that thing was a tank.  She used ta take us ta Bob's Big Boy in it fer burgers an real strawberry milkshakes.

Roland Deschain

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com