Author Topic: Sharps Rifle  (Read 23043 times)

Offline Capt, Woodrow F. Call

• Vice President of SWS Norway.
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Grenland Gunslingers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sharps Rifle
« on: January 13, 2006, 09:43:04 AM »
Howdys

I been thinking about bye a Sharps high wall 8), for long range shooting, but i'm not shure what kind of calibre who is the best to use ???,  is there someone out here who can point me in the rigth directions when it comes to calibres. :)
( black powder loads only)

B.R
Smoke.
SWS # 1014
Grenland Gunslingers # 0001
Cowboy Mounted Shooters Norway #005
'The Cowboys' Trail Riding Society of Telemark 2009. # 003
Member of The Chuckwagon society, Sweden.

Offline gw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Sharps Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 10:24:51 AM »
As for an all-around caliber, it's hard to beat the venerable old 45-70. It will work from 0 to 1200+ yards with the correct components(powder, bullet etc.) If you specialize in some type of shooting, say silhouette, or long range(800-1000yds.) there are other calibers you may want to consider. If this is your first black powder rifle, the 45-70 would be my first choice for you.  Hope this is of some help.

GW
NCOWS 1437-Territorial Representative  -Great Lakes Freight and Mining Co.- NCOWS Representative and Delegate to the Executive Board
SASS 5847 Life
NMLRA
NRA Life
MIAMI RIFLE CLUB Life
QUIGLEY SHOOTER Lifer

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 06:30:35 AM »
Listen to GW, he KNOWS of what he speaks.

As a side note: I think the "High Wall" you mention refers only to the 1885 Winchester single shot, not the Sharps.

As for caliber, I agree totally with GW.  Go with 45-70 (aka: 45-70 Govt., 45-70-405, and a few other names.  Sharps calls them 45-70-2 1/2" or something like that: it has to do with the length of the case.)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:58:45 PM »

Offline geo

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 03:15:23 PM »
technical question: what is the break even point on running your own lead? say that the molds, dies, melting pot costs are already absorbed by your budget. cost of lead is extra. dixie gun works wants 33 cents a bullet for a .54 sharps ringtail (shipping included). when does it become cheaper to do your own bullets or buy? thanks in advance. geo.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:25:42 PM »
I do believe the .45-70 is a .45 x 2.1" and the fact that an awful lot of folks have said .45-70 makes me think that there might be something to it.  Pity, I like the idea of a .50-90 (but might not when it comes to shooting it a bunch).

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 09:35:07 PM »
45-70= 2.1
45-90= 2.4
45-100( 110?)=  2.6
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

• Top Active Citizen
    • Grenland Gunslingers
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 07:04:02 AM »
Howdy.

Many thanks for the info, :D

I think i have to try out some few cal's before i desied, 
i have allready tryed out 45-70, some years back ( for hunting), i loved it,
but in a Sharps rifle, from the history point of view, isn't 45-90 to 120 most used calibre...  ???  i'm most in to history when i gone get me this sharps, down to originale cal's and shapes.

B.R
Smokey Lonesome.
SWS # 1014

Offline Guns Garrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 12:16:29 PM »
I'm no expert on buffalo rifle lore, but I believe the "long" .45's (-110, -120, etc.) weren't produced untill rather late in the buffalo era, and then not in Sharps factory rifles.  The most popular early cartridges were the .50-70 (the common military round of the late 1860's up till the introduction of the .45-70) and the .44-77, which I believe was the original Sharps chambering.  The .50-90 was in there too.  There is some debate as to whether the term "Sharps Big Fifty" referred to the .50-90 or the .50-70, but in either case, I'll admit a 600-grain, half-inch chunk of lead is plenty big, no matter how much powder is behind it.
"Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" is good reference book for the various calibers and chamberings available, as well as sights and various Sharps rifle models.
The advice you have received from the others is the same as what I got when I asked - The .45-70 is extremely versatile, whether you want to hunt or target shoot.  Ammunition, reloading tools, components and load data is plentiful and cheap, and available nearly anywhere.  If you later want more bang, you can easily have the chamber lengthened to 45-90 or longer.
"Stand, gentlemen; he served on Samar"

GAF #301

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 02:49:07 PM »
No 45's were produced till 1876.  The 45-2.1, the 45-2.4 the 45-2.6 and the 45-2 7/8 all came about the same time.  the 45-3 1/4 is the 1885 round that Sharps did not produce.

The 44-77 and 50-70 are most likely the most common.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 11:03:52 PM »
While we're on the subject of Sharps rifles.  What is the difference between the Shiloh and the Italian imports (other than price)?  I like the looks of the Piedersoli "Billy Dixon" in either .45-90 or .50-90 (a glutton for punishment perhaps), but was wondering if the Shiloh was so much better, I'd be better off getting that one.

Offline Bounty Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 01:04:02 AM »
I have several Shiloh Sharps rifles.  In my opinion Shiloh makes the best Sharps rifles ever made. 
In another post it was said Sharps did not have a High Wall.  C. Sharps does make a High Wall along with their model 74 and 75 Sharps rifles.

Bounty Bill

• Top Active Citizen
    • Grenland Gunslingers
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 07:28:29 AM »

it's gone be 45-70, 8) if i understand it rigth, was the original calibre in the west. :)

B.R
Smoke
SWS # 1014

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 10:00:50 AM »
Timex - Rolex. That I understand as I still have my Rolex that I bought new in 1968 for $185 and it still works just fine.  The Timex I had new in 1971 for $15 was history a long long time ago.

Offline Bounty Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2006, 10:50:58 AM »
Ed Clintwood & Capt. Call

Take a look at Shiloh Sharps web site    shilohrifle.com    you will not find a better rifle. The people at Shiloh are also the best you will ever deal with.  The price of a Shiloh and the Italian made rifles now days is not that far apart.  What is far apart is the quality, service and resale value. If you look at a Shiloh Sharps, hold it and shoot it you will be sold on what I am talking about.  There are other Sharps that are good but not GREAT. 

Bounty Bill

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2006, 03:30:24 PM »
Well I ordered a Shiloh .45-90 and it'll be done in oh 16-18 MONTHS.  Maybe I'll get an Eyetalian one just to hold me over.

• Top Active Citizen
    • Grenland Gunslingers
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2006, 04:17:08 AM »
Howdy.

It was amazing good video, of making the Shiloh Sharps, you have made my choice Bounty Bill, and the best part is, It is American made,........... can it be better.........NO 8)

Many Thanks.

BR
Capt W F. Call
SWS # 1014

Offline Oregon Bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 154
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2006, 10:59:38 AM »
Ed: I ordered a Shiloh several weeks ago, so I'll be getting mine in the spring of 2007 along with you. My initial order was for an early Hartford with military butt in .50-70. I'll probably change my order before all is said and done to a shotgun butt and some other caliber, But when I initially ordered I wanted to come as close in configuration as possible to what was really used on the early buffalo ranges, as I am interested in the period around 1874 and the summer of the fight at Adobe Walls. So .50-70, .44-77 or .50-90 would be most correct, and the military butt as well.
In the meantime, I have a parts Trapdoor to shoot, and may have Dave Crossno build me a rolling block with the No. 1 smokeless action I have on hand. If I did not have these options, I would be another Pedersoli Sharps in a heartbeat, as their barrels will shoot with anybody's. I would not dream of buying any other of the Italian Sharps.

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »
OB,
I was wondering the web and I found the C. Sharps site and had been thinking of one of the .40 caliber guns.  Gave the man a call and we talked a bit, I wound up ordering a .40-70 straight in a Hi-Wall.  I was told I could have it in a couple-three months.  Now to find a decent long range, range in SE Michigan to shoot it >:(  If anyone out there knows of a range (public) PLEASE let me know, I have googled, checked the NRA web site the best I've found is 300 yard Private club, the directions on their web site sent me to a dead end street.

Offline Bounty Bill

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 02:02:09 PM »
Ed Clintwood,

On another post you said you ordered a Shiloh  Sharps 45/90.  You also say you ordered a C. Sharps High Wall  40/70.  It appears you have two rifles coming, great idea.  Both are good rifles.

Bounty Bill

Offline Ed Clintwood

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 07:03:58 AM »
Bounty Bill,
I got the invoices yesterday.  The Shiloh will be here when it gets here, sometime in 2007, the C. Sharps Hi-Wall will be in 90 days or thereabouts.  It does give me a little more time to get the wife used to what I truly "need" ;D, and being a year apart it's not like I just went out and spent a ton of money all at once ya know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com