Author Topic: got some new boots !  (Read 21947 times)

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: got some new boots !
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 11:02:49 PM »
the finish on them is sort of a dull oil. and the fine dry dirt around hear collects on it like crazy when walking. I am hoping to put a shine on the black ones for inspection at the musters.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

liten

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 04:23:43 AM »
and what time period is that? they look rather modern

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »
They are from Wal mart.  of course they are modern.  But $35 compaired to $250+ for the reinactors quality period correct ones. 
The point is they have a look that is close to period correct.  i have since cut the fake spur straps off both pair I bought.  They are better than any I had before.  My budget for playing cowboy and /or solder is $0 so these just about fit.  I could justify it cause I can were them outside of playing CAS.  I'll never be close to the level that some people are able to achive when it comes to correct period.  but I like to make an effort.  That's why I don't show up in tennis shooes and a t-shirt.
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:49:27 PM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 11:05:50 AM »
They are from Wal mart.  of course they are modern.  But $35 compaired to $250+ for the reinactors quality period correct ones. 
The point is they have a look that is close to period correct.  i have since cut the fake spur straps off both pair I bought.  They are better than any I had before.  My budget for playing cowboy and /or solder is $0 so these just about fit.  I could justify it cause I can were them outside of playing CAS.  I'll never be close to the level that some people are able to achive when it comes to correct period.  but I like to make an effort.  That's why I don't show up in tennis shooes and a t-shirt.

With out the straps they are very close and at 5 feet no one would know for sure.  Ignore linten, he seems to be very critical and claims a lot, but when asked to show pictures he seems to go away till the thread dies down, I decied he is an internet troll a long time ago, we don't even know where he lives. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 12:00:16 PM »
Yep, I got a feelin' that he ain't from the USA and the closest that he's been to the West is watchin' it on TV or the Movies.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »
Yep, I got a feelin' that he ain't from the USA and the closest that he's been to the West is watchin' it on TV or the Movies.

Could only think of one line at the time I read this:  "He ain't right in the head", now if I could remember the movie.

Haymaker I am with you.  Them realistic boots would use up my yearly budget for playing.  I just try to make as much of my own possibles as I can and then buy what I have too that "looks" sort of close to period.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »
The biggest problem with those boots is they are not exactly as issued to the army, but private purchase was common.  The rubber soles would have been rare but not unknown so I don't see what problem our troll has with them except to be an arse. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2011, 02:43:56 PM »
I think it boils down to the fact that his parents told him he could grow up to be anything he wanted to be. So he grew up to be an a$$hole.  ;D
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
I think it boils down to the fact that his parents told him he could grow up to be anything he wanted to be. So he grew up to be an a$$hole.  ;D

No, those thing better known as rectums are useful. ;)  linten seems to just have negative things to say about anything and is not willing to show the slightest bit of credentuals, I would really like to see him in some of these uniforms he says he has.  Got a guy like that at work, tells us he has stuff he don't. ::)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 03:33:58 PM »
"Been There  Done That"!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 05:46:28 PM »

The important thing is that you show up to play!  I'm on a budget myself, and while I love to see museum quality uniforms, I generally don't have the money to go that route.  I just try to get stuff that looks about "right" from a little distance, if you're not an expert.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
I found these gaiters on line, don't know if they are correct but looked like something that could be used for costuming they need some strap replacement. The price seemed right and from 5 feet

Mathew 5.9

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
Haymaker, I am in real need of a new pair of boots myself, so am going to walls and mart tomorrow to check into these.  Any problem while cutting off those straps?
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

liten

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 09:11:40 PM »
haymaker is selling his , what size are you ;D

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 10:19:32 PM »
Haymaker and Two Walks, I know what you mean about trying to look the best you can, but on a budget. I'm sure my outfit would be gratly enhanced by getting a period correct pair of 1892 boots, but at nearly $200, it's be a chopice of having boots and staying home, or a$25 pair of black sort of dress/work shoes from Wally World and going out to shoot more. Leggins cover up most of the "non PC details, fortunately.

I may have to check out some of these at WM, See if I can get some that won't kill my feet by the end of the day....

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2011, 10:24:33 PM »
haymaker is selling his , what size are you ;D

You ain't even half funny any more.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:43 PM »
Someday I may have the gold coin for  a nice 1880 vintage out fit but not in this decade.  The straps cut off clean on the $35 boots, and I think that they will fit nicely with the level of PC of the rest of my outfit.  Those of you who know me know I am in this for fun and I apprieciate you support.  I do applaud the level of authenticity that some of you have reached with living history.
It gives the rest of us a goal.  

Keep your powder dry! ;D
Bow View Haymaker

SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 11:08:25 PM »
I am going to El Paso this weekend.  Fly out 09:30 friday.  Will stop at CA Boots and see what fits my foot.  The old metal shoe sizer at Sportsman's Wearhouse says between 10 and 10.5 B.  Most boots are way to wide, offer no support and end up with really sore feet at the end of the day.  Hope I am a standard size so I dont have to pay extra for custom fitted.

Will let you know how things turn out.  In the mean time 9.5 regular navy boon dockers work ok for a close to period shoe.  Get them for $50 out of a chicago army navy store (on-line)

Stopped in at CABoots.  Off the rack 8.5 Es seem to work.  Started off as knee high with the over knee flap.  About 5 min latter they were 14 inch Infantry boots as he called them, closer to artillery but real close to period correct.
Stock boots are $110 less expensive than custom.

Did have him measure feet to replicated a pair of Nacona's the 40 lbs have made too small.  No telling how long it will take to get them but smooth leather black boots seem to be a thing of the past.  Will let you know how those turn out when I get them.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

liten

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 04:57:46 AM »
hay gud price 110, just be careful  and  get the square  military heel , most of C A boots i have seen tend to be the  angle heel  like cowboy boots

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 06:07:48 AM »
The Shooter's Boots at The Fort are a good value as well. Del and Terry in The Old West dept. will fix You up.  They run about 135. in either brown or black. The sizes run up to 14, for us folks with a good understanding.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com