Author Topic: Vaquero vs. Cattleman  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Will Dearborn

• "Ramrod, wreckage, and ruin..."
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Vaquero vs. Cattleman
« on: December 07, 2007, 05:50:48 PM »
Howdy.

I bought a NMV a while back in .38/357.  Changed the springs in it.  Deepened and wideened the rear sight.  Shot about 400 rounds through it.  Have a dreadful time prying it out of my father's hand when he comes over.  (I think he really somes to visit the Vaq, not me some days.)  I'm very pleased with it.

But, like steak and Cadillacs... sometimes you want to try something different.

SO...  I went and got an 1873 Cattleman in .45.  It's a nice looking gun.  I like the shorter 4 3/4 barrel.  I even like the matte finsih, although not period and such.  It's a gun I don't mind taking out in the rain and mud and snow and things.  I WANT it to look used and well worn.  And I wanted a .45.  I find I prefer it to a .38.  Anyway....

It shoots great and does what it's supposed to.  BUt...

I really think the Ruger has spoiled me for all others.  The hammer feels like I'd do better to hook it up to a missouri mule to pull it back.  THe rear sight is skin to peering through a keyhole plugged with cobwebs.  Trigger is heavy.  Now...  I know all of this (or most) is correctable...  but there's just something about that Ruger.

Don't get me wrong... that Cattleman is a good gun and I like it.  BUt it'll never match that Ruger.

Long days and pleasant nights,
Will

"First comes smiles; then comes lies.  Last is gunfire."
                                                -Roland of Gilead
V.P., Waverly Arts Council
Chairman, Gen. Jo Shelby's Iron Brigade Assn.
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467
Private, 7th and 30th Cons. Missouri Inf.  "Irish Brigade"

Online Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Vaquero vs. Cattleman
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:40:57 AM »
Ya can't beat a Ruger.  ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 06:00:59 PM »
I'll second that Slim!!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:59:53 PM »

Offline Jersey Jones

• Gun for Hire
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:47:44 AM »
Having not much experience shooting these revolvers, I did have the opportunity to hold each one in my hand. The most enticing thing about the Cattleman was the price tag. I didn’t care for the flat finish or the general sharpness of the frame.  I opted for the used Vaquero old model, fits nice in my hand and just looks oh so purty but cost me one and a quarter more.

Sounds like I made the correct choice.   8)

-Jake

UPDATE:
Out buying a box of cartridges this morning and took a peek at another Cattleman. This one had the blued and case hardened finished, it was much nicer than the one I handled on Saturday.
“Well, we come for justice not vengeance. Now, them is two different things.” - Boss Spearman.
RATS #398

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 06:32:33 PM »
Yeah.  Nothing beats the Vaquero.  I took the billboard off mine today.  I also took the opportunity to knock some of the shine off the barrel.  Some of yas may not approve of that... but to me the stainless model shined a bit too much and showed every fingerprint, smudge, a tiniest scratch.  I dulled the shine after taking the billboard off and, personally, I prefer the new look.  It's a nice contrast to the shiny frame.  If the wife ever buys a camera, I'll show you what I mean.  (I spend all my money on guns and Civil War uniform parts and acc.  *shrug* )

I have this disease, see...  I am unable to leave anything I own alone.  It's gotta be personalized and individual.  Heh.

Will
                                                -Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

Offline Will Blastem

• Top Active Citizen
  • You stage 'em...Will Blastem
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 02:31:28 PM »
Yeah.  Nothing beats the Vaquero.  I took the billboard off mine today.  I also took the opportunity to knock some of the shine off the barrel.  Some of yas may not approve of that... but to me the stainless model shined a bit too much and showed every fingerprint, smudge, a tiniest scratch.  I dulled the shine after taking the billboard off and, personally, I prefer the new look.  It's a nice contrast to the shiny frame.  If the wife ever buys a camera, I'll show you what I mean.  (I spend all my money on guns and Civil War uniform parts and acc.  *shrug* )

I have this disease, see...  I am unable to leave anything I own alone.  It's gotta be personalized and individual.  Heh.

Will

Howdy, Will...how'd ya remove he Ruger "bible"...and what did ya do to remove some of the shine? I've been wanting to do that to mine.
You Stage 'em, Will Blastem
KC's Corral at Black Creek
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
Hiram's Rangers #25
RATS #314
Vietnam  Ist Air Cav 67-68

Offline Four Eyed Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Welcome to Deadwood
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 04:24:51 PM »
Got em both, like em both but for different reasons. ;D I use the NMV (2) for black, but I never miss with the Cattleman either. The action is better on the NMV's ::) but he sights are better on the Cattleman :P all of them can use an action job. :-X
Four Eyed Floyd
SASS #75002
RATS #391
BOSS #186
STORM #311
Scioto Territory Desperadoes

Offline Will Dearborn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Faugh an Ballagh
    • My Place on myspace
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 10:56:11 AM »
Okay...

I broke the Vaq down at far as humanly possible (since I deepened the rear sight and widened it, too...  I had to get all the filings out of the action.)  FOr that I used a set of chainsaw honing files.  And went SLOW and EASY and checked many things many times.  If you try sight work...  I won't be responsible for what happens.

For the billboard and the barrel, I used a wide, flat metal file.  Remove the ejector rod housing... and BE CAREFUL OF THE HOLE FOR THE SCREW.  Before I took it off, I marked where it sat with a pencil... don't file below that line.  Bad medicine.....

Then I filed carefully until the stamping of the billboard was no more than fine scratches.  Put the file down.  You're done with it.  Then I took 220 grit sandpaper and did the rest by hand.  It not only takes the the rest of the words off, but it removes the deeper gouges of the file.  When the words were all gone, I lightly hit the rest of the barrel with the sandpaper until it matched where it was removed.  (For this part I did sand where the ejector rod housing sits... but not much.  Just enough to make the whole barrel uniform in appearance.  PAy particular attention to the area where the barrel meets the frame and around the front sight.  (I left the sides and faces of the sight blade alone.  I wasn't trying to adjust POA).

Put the sandpaper away.  Now take a medium grit steel wool.  Polish the whole barrel with it until the fine scratches left by the sandpaper merge into a dull sheen.  WHen you think it's good, switch to a fine steel wool, and polish it all again.

NOw... your beauty will be covered with steel filings, grit from sandpaper, and hair from steel wool... take a deep breath and wash it with hot water.  Bore, too.  BLow all the water out of all the holes, nooks and crannies.  Make sure the hole for the screw in the ejector housing is CLEAN.  If not, use a cotton swab and be gentle.  (Or a water pick or a bit of water under pressure... or compressed air, etc.)  WIpe it down, oil as usual, reassemble.

Good luck.

Will
                                                -Roland of Gilead
SASS #75873
RATS #359
SBSS #2032
SCORRS
GAF #467

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 02:44:26 PM »
Howdy Will  :D

Nice post , you were very clear on how to do this , all we need now is a picture of your finished gun , look forward to seeing it. 8)

Happy New Years  ;D

Ten Wolves ;) ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline The Connemara Kid

• Citizen
    • www.mikesearson.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »
I just did this on my 4 5/8" Stainless Vaquero!

Thanks for posting this!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com