Author Topic: Ruger Old Army....  (Read 16875 times)

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Old Army....
« on: July 21, 2006, 10:07:35 AM »
It`s got to be percussion! And I was qurious about the Ruger Old Army...?  Any one using it here?
The 5,5" barrel got to be good for CAS?
Honour is like a an island, steep and without a shore.
Once you leave you can newer return.!

General Johan Von Ewald, Danish/Norwegian Army Until 1813

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Ruger Old Army....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 05:24:47 PM »
Howdy Pard in Norway!
Yes, the best quality percussion (Cap and Ball or C&B) is the ROA (Ruger Old Army).  It's not as historically accurate as the Italian colt and remington C&B copies, but is stronger and more reliable.  Many of the best CAS C&B shooters here in the US use them.  (The stainless steel model with the 5 1/2 barrel, fixed sights, is the best looking and handling in my opinion!) 

Is it difficult to get cartridge firearms there?  By the way, a conversion cylinder is also made for the ROA which allows 45 LC BP(or smokeless) cartidges to be fired in the ROA. (Remember "Pale Rider" with Clint Eastwood and how he just switched cylinders out in the final gunfight?!)

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:06:09 AM »
It is not difficult to get cartridge firearms in Norway. You have to have a permit for everything, but once you get the first one it is not much to it. It is a limit on 25 arms before you have to install an alarm.

I actually was the first one to own a RD conversion sylinder in my country. Unfortunatley I sold it!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:35:48 PM »

Offline Judge Jake McCord

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 10:53:02 AM »
Howdy Pard in Norway!
Yes, the best quality percussion (Cap and Ball or C&B) is the ROA (Ruger Old Army).  By the way, a conversion cylinder is also made for the ROA which allows 45 LC BP(or smokeless) cartidges to be fired in the ROA. (Remember "Pale Rider" with Clint Eastwood and how he just switched cylinders out in the final gunfight?!)

Sacramento, that is MOST interesting! I am new to CAS, fond of Rugers, and having read your message, am now thinking that a pair of ROA .45's with conversion cylinders might be the ultimate do-everything pair of CAS pistols!  ;)

Do you (anyone) believe this is a good choice?

Can therse conversion cylinders be obtained from the Ruger company?

Judge Jake
Make haste, slowly.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 12:20:48 PM »
Howdy Pard!
If you desire to shoot both C&B and cartridge, yes, ROAs with conversion cylinders would allow both.  Conversion cylinders are made by R&D; one can get them from Taylor's.  (Another company called Kirst also makes a conversion cylinder for the ROA, but I have no experience with that model.)  Neither are cheap (neither is the ROA!). 
The conversion cylinders are rated for BP or cowboy level smokeless loads only.  Remember, conversion cylinders were a middle step on the way to true cartridge guns; reloads on the clock will slow you down tremendously compared to someone shooting a regular cartridge gun like a '73 peacemaker clone or Ruger Vaquero.  If you are very competitive in the cartridge catagories, this is probably not a good idea .  (ROAs in the C&B catagories are very competitive.)

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 04:47:22 PM »
ROAs and converters are fun. I have a pair of the Kirsts. I probably only shoot them a couple times a year, but it is fun to change the pace a bit. Winter when your fingers are cold is when I usually give up C&B and shoot either the converters or mostly regular Ruger RVs.
Sacramento, it looks to me like if you signed up for the Brimstone match on Labor Day, then we will hook up. I'll be looking for you and IB. I'll be trying not to make an ass of myself shooting C&B gunfighter class. This ought to be good. ;D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »
Howdy Howdy!
No, me and IB aren't signed up for the BP match on that weekend.  We are signed up for the John Wayne Shoot, and giving serious thought to returning to High Sierra next spring.  Will you be at either? 

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 06:49:50 PM »
Howdy Howdy!
No, me and IB aren't signed up for the BP match on that weekend.  We are signed up for the John Wayne Shoot, and giving serious thought to returning to High Sierra next spring.  Will you be at either? 
Now ya got me interested! Please explain [in detail] just what is the John Wayne Shoot?  i.e. rules, regulations, firearms used, targets etc. the whole kit and caboodle please.  8)
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 08:40:06 PM »
Howdy Cyrille!
Here's a link to info on it!
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37854

All the scenarios come from John Wayne films.  I hear they also have two Texas Star targets!  This will be my first time attending; looking foward to the cooler weather, too!

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 09:38:49 PM »
Howdy Sacramento, yup I signed on for the John Wayne. Two biggies, two weeks in a row, that might be a first for me.
I shot High Sierra this year, but it is still way to early to think about next years, but I have always loved that match, becuase it is unlike any other CAS match to me.
Ya know they are now shooting the new Cowboy Town out at Sac Valley. They have the berms up and they have resurrected the Calif Rangers stage props. If they have an annual, then I will try to make that. Arroyo Cantua at Van Vleck was a hoot, even if you did have to watch where you stepped.  ;D
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Cyrille

• Top Active Citizen
  • "To sing, to laugh, to dream, cock my hat, or gun"
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2006, 10:33:19 PM »
Howdy Cyrille!
Here's a link to info on it!
http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37854

All the scenarios come from John Wayne films.  I hear they also have two Texas Star targets!  This will be my first time attending; looking foward to the cooler weather, too!

Looks like I'm too late fur thisyear But I'll keep ya n mind fer next provided we survive this hurricane season!
CYRILLE...  R.A.T. #242
"Never apologize Mr.; it's a sign of weakness."
Capt. Nathan Brittles {John Wayne} in "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon."

"A gun is  just a tool. No better and no worse than any other tool----- Think of it always in that way. A gun is as good--- and as bad--- as the man who carries it. Remember that."
                                                   Shane

Offline fourfingersofdeath

• The Old Loquacious one's loquacious signature:
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dang! Caught shooting a 357!
    • Mick's photobucket!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 12:44:36 AM »
You would be able to get the Fienwerkbau Spencer and whatever clone over there cheaper than us, it is a fine gun apparently, Fienwerkbau don't make any duds. Mick

Try this link, goofy pistol, but they shoot like a house on fire apparently,

http://www.feinwerkbau.de/ceasy/modules/cms/usage.main.php5?cPageId=18
All my cowboy gun's calibres start with a 4! It's gotta be big bore and whomp some!

BOLD No: 782
RATS No: 307
STORM No:267

www.boldlawdawgs.com

Offline Snapshot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Aim Small - Miss Small
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 05:27:52 AM »
Howdy fourfingersofdeath.

I alreaddy have the Finwerk Roger & Spencer, and as you stated it shoots like a house of fire.
Actualy I am going to shoot it on sunday, together with a new Flintlock Rifle. If I can get the Rifle ready that is!
I modified the grips on the R&S they where to wide at the bottom....
24grns. FFFg and a dash of polenta, six o clock hold at 25 yards it shoots dead center.
But it is particular when it comes to grip and trigger scweese, you got to do it 100% right and then you will be rewarded!

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 10:03:17 AM »
Howdy Pards,

I shoot a brace of ROAs.  Old ones with brass backstraps and squareback trigger guards.  These are VERY smooth guns.  I shoot them both C&B and with 45 cal cartridges via Kirs Konverter cylinders.  If you ever think of going with the cartridge conversions I highly reccommend the Kirst Konverters.  They are very well built in every respect.

FWIW, I now have a new bullet mold available that casts the creation of El Paso Pete.  It's the EPP-UG.  The UG stands for Ultra Gamer.  Pete's words, not mine.  The bullet emulates the round ball but has a huge lube grove.  I lube size them before the match and find no need for any other lube/cookie/wads/over bullet smear.  That makes 'em quick to load.  I load my cylinders on a cylinder loading stand on my gun cart and do the capping at the loading table.

This fine bullet also works great in the new Cowboy 45 Special brass from Adirondak Jack.  With only 1.3cc of FFFg Holy Black I'm getting 850 fps over my Ohler 33 graph.  That's no whimp load.  It's very accurate and at that velocity, the most distant targets are still easy.  It takes the knock downs with ease and authority.

I love my ROAs and I love shooting 'em Gunfighter with either C&B or Cartridges.  I like the way they fill my hands.  I like the way they cock.  I like the smooth light triggers.  They're easy to clean up and maintain.

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 07:21:27 PM »
Hi,

I am buying a pair of 5.5 " ROAs and am somewhat interested in the conversion cylinders ... but I own a couple of Schofieds that I shoot .45 Schofield ammo through.

I would want to keep everything simple by shooting the Schofield ammo in the ROA conversion cylinders ... has anyone ever tried this?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 09:00:32 PM »
The conversion cylinders are made for .45 Colt.  So, anything shorter based on the same case will work, i.e., .45 Schofield and .45 Special.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 09:03:35 PM »
Well met, Pettifogger,

The reason that I ask is that I have been told that there is a slight rim difference between the two shells ... I believe that the Schofield is just a hair larger and won't fit in some .45 Colt weapons ... particularly rifles ... unless the area for the rim is enlarged a tad ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Jbar4Ranch

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 08:34:39 AM »
I've had nine ROA's, including a pair of 5 1/2"ers, but I've found I much prefer the 7 1/2" barrel. I shot a clean Frontiersman state match with 'em in July - two days, twelve stages, and nary a miss. They could have timed me with a sun dial on that last stage! ;D
I've never understood cartridge conversions; I buy C&B guns to shoot, well, cap & ball.

Offline fatelvis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »
Im selling a SS 5.5" OA right now, check it out:      http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=145142924

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 10:34:30 PM »
Hi Fatelvis,

I have two SS 5 1/2" ROAs already ... but thanks!

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com