Author Topic: Using Cap and Ball for SASS matches?????  (Read 11367 times)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
Using Cap and Ball for SASS matches?????
« on: January 01, 2006, 09:30:13 AM »
I am curious, I haven't seen anyone at the matches I have been to using C&B's...Is it feasiable?  Short of carring 10 extra cylinders preloaded to the match. Do most just keep loading the same cylinder, seems one maybe at the loading tables all day. I would like to start shooting black, but not sure I want to use my Rugers, and buying the types of pistals I prefer, and having them converted seems spendy.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Tensleep

• Damned Ol' Ranger
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dealer in Bullets and Gun Butter
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Using Cap and Ball for SASS matches?????
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 09:39:34 AM »
I have been using my Rugers now for about a year shooting both smokeless and black, nary a problem, but ti your question.

Doc McCandless uses C&Bs to shoot in lots of matches. And yes, he does have a set of pre-loaded cylinders for each stage. Doc says that it gives him more time to help with the posse and also to visit with pards.

The folks that I have seen using C&Bs, other than Doc, do spend a lot of time cleaning and loading between stages.
Masonic Cowboy Shootist
America's 1st Grey Sash Cowboy, GSC 006
SASS 5756 Life, Regulator
Dooley Gang, Virginia Chapter
Just a poor dumb cowboy, tryin' to do my best.
"If I could roll back tha years, back when I was young and limber..."

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 11:28:56 AM »
Bros tellin' ya straight.  It takes more time than a cartridge gun.  Thing is, there's a certain 'sumthin' special 'bout shootin' one.  Heh, heh.  Maybe it's a hot hunk of cap landin' twix the palm of yer hand 'n the grip.

Plannin' on takin' my '58 to the next shoot it BC.  Was shootin' it summer past but it got too hot out to mess with it.  Sign up on my posse 'n ya kin watch if ya want.  Hell, ya kin shoot it if ya want......
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:49:00 AM »

Offline El Paso Pete

• Big Lube Boolit Shooter, shootin BP since 1958
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Life, NRA Patron, RATS #1, Warthog
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 12:11:40 PM »
Get a hold of BroDave http://www.brodavesguns.com/cb_loader.html and get one the loadin tools he's sellin.  I can load a ROA in just over 1 minute with it.
El Paso Pete   SASS #55577L  RATS #1
Mules,  Whiskey,  Diamonds,  Nails,  Gold Mines,  Fly Swatters,  Barbed Wire,  Oil Wells,  Runnin Irons.
Governments Run, Revolutions Started, Uprising Quelled, Bridges Destroyed, Saloons Emptied, Whiskey Bonded, Taxes Collected, Gold Mines Salted

EL PASO PETE’S MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
Simply return the unused portion of the product and
El Paso Pete will refund the unused portion of your money.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »
Them things is nice, Pete.  Got a pard that used one.  He's back with the new fangled fade powder now.

I just got so much junk in my cart already kindah hate ta stick sumthin' else in there.

Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 05:12:26 PM »
Thanks Arcey I am  planning on shooting there again this month.

Pete I wished I would have thought that up.
Mathew 5.9

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 05:45:38 PM »
Rooster,

I suppose whether you see any C&B action depends on who you are shooting with and when.

In the several clubs I shoot with, most of thsoe who shoot the Frontiersman category also tend to shoot other categories as the mood strikes, generally in one of the Frontier Cartridge categories.

I personally don't like shooting Frontiersman except in the Fall and Spring when its a bit cooler and the humidity is down.  I find that dripping sweat into the cylinders along with the powder doesn't help the ignition much.  In the cooler months that isn't a problem.  Sometimes its so humid the powder turns to sludge almost as you pour it out.  Not fun nor conducive toward a clean match.

I have a pard that uses multiple pre-loaded cylinders but I prefer to use three or four pistols.  I load them up at the reloading table after I've shot, which allows me to help out on the posse chores while doing my reloads - which as was observed, tends to take a bit more time than just pushing in some new cartridges.  If for any reason I get hung up, I've got at least one pistol ready to go so only have to reload one quickly.  However, our posses tend to run large, about 20 people, so finding sufficient time to reload usually isn't a problem.

The biggest problem I've seen is that a few shooters don't seem to like C&B shooters.  Don't know why, and fortunately those shooters tend to be in the great minority. 

You might want to consider starting off shooting one C&B with one cartridge pistol initially to get the feel of reloading at the match, then the next time use two C&B pistols. 

Personally, I'd like to see more Frontiersmen at the matches.  I actually like shooting them more than the cartridge guns.

Offline Qball

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006, 06:51:43 PM »
I shoot frontiersman with two -58 Remington clones and i made my own loading tool.
Never timed my reloads but as soon as im of the unloading table its of to the loading table
to fil'er up once more, and lot's of time to do my dutys as marshal or deputy.
No i only use one cylinder pr gun.
WartHog
SCORRS
SootLord
STORM

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006, 07:23:59 PM »
>>The biggest problem I've seen is that a few shooters don't seem to like C&B shooters.  Don't know why, and fortunately those shooters tend to be in the great minority.<<

That's sad.  Glad there ain't many 'round ya.

As likely as not, I'll have someone who doesn't know how the things work follow me to the table to watch the loading.  I enjoy showing 'em how 'n always hope they'll get interested enough to buy one of their own.   They're inexpensive and a whole pile of fun.....

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2006, 08:14:42 PM »
I myself like to shoot C&B and I do, at every big event I shoot. A few years ago I made a New Years resolution to shoot them for an entire year and I came real close to doing that too.
The longer you shoot them the more tricks you pick up to speed things up. I shoot mostly just Rugers these days and with Goex Pinnacle. I have extended rams for them and I don't use wads, or lubes and I can shoot a main match over two days with no cleaning. I do lube the pins front and back of the cylinder, but never have to resort to actually taking them apart. BJT who shoots 777 has about the same results with his ROAs.
Once you get up to speed, it really takes very little time to load up 10 rounds for the next stage.

I don't know why more folks don't shoot C&B. I guess it isn't for everyone. In my area you see a lot of folks shoot plainsman events, but shoot cartridge for main events. They just prefer cartridge I guess.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006, 08:38:47 PM »
Does anyone here use Walker Colts for CAS?  Just curious cause I am thinking of trying them.
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006, 08:40:01 PM »
I'm goin' to be shootn' the DD/ROA boolit in my ROAs this comming season.  I kin load 'em near as fast as I kin load cartridge revolvers.  I simply put five lube/sized bullets in one of my vials per pistol and load quick as can be.  And, yup, I've got the vials in stock.

Shootn' C&B is simply a matter of plannin' ahead.  Beyond that, know yer equipment and keep yer powder dry. . .

DD-DLoS
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 08:45:45 PM »
Arcey,

I don't mean to imply we have a lot of negative criticism where I shoot, just that sometimes there is one or two shooters on the posse who ain't too fond of BP and can sometimes be rather vocal about the smoke or the smell.  I tend to further irritate them by grinning and laughing a lot while shooting.

On the whole, most folks like seeing the BP shooters, especially the C&B shooters, and even more so when someone limbers up a pair of Walkers or Dragoons.  They know it takes a bit of work to enjoy the true mystique of shooting percussion pistols.  Some will come over to watch me reload and ask questions - and I try to be encouraging in the hopes they'll give it a try.  I usually get even more favorable comments when I shoot my C&B pistols with my Spencer.  

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006, 09:01:43 PM »
I shoot Cap and Ball at all matches. Most times about 4 times per month. I use one of the Bro Dave things for my Remington's and when I shoot the ROA's. Don't like to take the Colts apart at a match.

I can load fast enough  to help with RO ing or spotting. So I feel that I do my part on the posse. Does it take me longer to load??
Yes it does but I have been at it long enough to still help out.

I have noticed a scowl or two but usually from someone that don't even like BP LOL Their LOSS.

Shoot yer Cap and Ball guns and have FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mason
If there is anything I can help you with send me an E-Mule

Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Lars

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006, 09:03:14 PM »
I used a pair of Remington New Model Armies when I first started CAS. They were as reliable and accurate as the cartridge revolvers. The only times I had a missfire was my own fault and that only happened once each  before the problem was fixed. It was nice not to have to load ammo for them after a shoot!!

It took me some months after I switched to Ruger Vaqueros before I could shoot the Ruger Vaqueros as well as the Remington New Model Armies.

After I got sorta organized I had no problem loading both C&Bs AND having time for doing posse chores. I still shoot them now and then. Those not familier with C&Bs always seem amazed at how well they shoot.

A well regulated and slicked up C&B revolver gives up very little to any cartridge revolver as regards reliability, accuracy or speed of fire -- especially reliability and accuracy. That revolver can be one of the Colt-style or a Remington New Model Army. Most reliable are Rogers and Spencers and Ruger Old  Armies -- however, there are folks that can make even these C&Bs malfunction.

I too have sometimes had genuine complaints from folks with alergies, expecially if I shot Goex, less such if Pyrodex and absolutely none with 777. Actually, the group I currently shoot with like the smell of 777 and Swiss (really hard to tell the difference).

Some folks do complain about the smoke but, generally that is more in jest than serious. Much, much more common is folks that greatly enjoy watching someone shoot BP rapidly and accurately. They also like the solid hits that standard BP loads, cartridge or 44 C&B, loaded to muzzle velocities from the late 1800s, give. We have NO PROBLEMS with knockdowns or "long range" (meaning only 100 or so yards), or "little" targets.

Lars

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 09:27:40 PM »
Bristow Kid
I have a pair of 3rd model Dragoons tha tI have just got ready for a match. Yes I will be shooting them at Matches.

Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 09:42:44 PM »
Thanks Arcey I am  planning on shooting there again this month.

Shooting C&B also interests me so I may tag along as well.
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Williewheelgun

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 09:54:53 PM »
I have eight cylinders for my /58 Remmies.  I load them prior to a match (not capped of course) and re-load them at the lunch break.  I can load about as fast as any cartridge shooter as I only swap cylinders and cap at the loading table.

Willie

Offline Bristow Kid

• I've got a touch of hangover beuracrate. Don't push me
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Matthew(Matt) Bohach
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 11:06:29 PM »
Thats legal to have all your spare cylinders loaded before a match as long as they are not capped?
Prayer Posse
SCORRS
NCOWS #2540
Grand Army of the Frontier #437
Department of the Missouri
PWDFR #149
RATS #233
SASS #68717
WARTHOG

Offline US Scout

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006, 07:09:17 AM »
Cylinders are not considered loaded until they are capped.

Which means, that at the unloading table, all you need to is verify that none of the cones are still capped - you don't have to look in the chambers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com