Author Topic: .44 Magnum Cylinder Throats  (Read 831 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
.44 Magnum Cylinder Throats
« on: August 15, 2022, 03:11:13 PM »
Gentlemen,  I just got a .44 Mag with .426 cylinder throats, and I'm getting some leading.  I'd prefer .429 or .430.  Any of the smiths on here do that work?  Any recommendations?  Thanks!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Dakota Ike

• NCOWS Member
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 74
Re: .44 Magnum Cylinder Throats
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 03:55:35 PM »
On the castboolits forum there is a member , DougGuy, that can take your cylinder throats to the size you want.  Although I have not had any work performed by him, he would be my first choice for any cylinder that work I needed.  I don’t recall ever hearing anything negative about his work.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 05:09:23 PM »
 :)  D. Ike  ;)

Well, your cylinder throats are way undersize.  :(  However, before you engage anyone to ream the throats, you first need to "slug" you bore.  Very important to know the grove diameter of your barrel.  Then you need to source bullets a thousandth larger then that diameter.  Your Throats should then be the same diameter as the intended bullets.

Most of today's .44 barrels are .429.  That is pretty much the industry standard.  Calls for bullets of .430 and throats of .430.  Slug the bore first to be certain.

People are Hazardous to Yer Health.  Avoid 'em

PS:  Fix'd it.  I hate OTTO KEREKT 

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:55:05 AM »

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 01:49:36 PM »
Is this an Old Model Vaquero cylinder?  We had that problem with the OMV's in .44-40 originally, but I wasn't aware of it in the .44 Mangle-em's. Are you intending to shoot jacketed bullets? In that case, you should have the throats reamed out to groove diameter of the barrel. With my .44-40 OMV's and the .425" throats, I have just been shoting .429-.430" hard cast bullets ONLY (BHN 12-17). I get great accuracy and virtually no leading. The way that works, is the bullet compress going through the throats, but the compressive strength of the alloy is such and the dwell time in the throats is such that the bullets re-expand in the forcing cone.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 04:15:30 PM »
It's actually a Smith & Wesson 629-3.  (Definitely non-CAS.)  It doesn't lead nearly as badly as a 629-1 I had with .432 throats, but I'm going to have it adjusted to .430.  That way I'll be able to use the same bullets in my .44 Ruger, as well.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com