Author Topic: The boy scout motto...  (Read 887 times)

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • NCOWS #: 4017
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 72
The boy scout motto...
« on: July 23, 2022, 02:12:46 PM »
"Be prepared".
When your sole purpose for going to the range is to chronograph some loads, one should verify that the battery in the chronograph is not dead.  :D
Problem rectified for a return trip tomorrow.
"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: The boy scout motto...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2022, 02:43:55 PM »
Until I got past the first comma in your message, I thought you were going to say that you forgot to take the chronograph!  Although I guess the result was the same.  :)

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2022, 02:46:38 PM »
Oh come on, Abilene! I'm not THAT dumb! ;D ;D
"Around Dodge City and in the territories out west, there's only one way to handle the killers and the spoilers, and that's with a U.S. Marshall and the smell of...Gunsmoke!"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:28:12 AM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 07:06:55 PM »
Sometime back in the late 70's myself and several other of my fellow law enforcement officers went to some old sand pits called the 8-Mile Pits due to the fact they were 8 miles west of our town. Was going to do some shooting. One of the firearms I took along was my 45 caliber Thompson Center percussion rifle as several including the Chief wanted to see one shot. Got to the pit, set some waterfilled milk jugs at varying distances and loaded up the TC rifle. Had three pairs of eyes watching the loading process and when I went to cap the nipple, AHHHHH---forgot the percussion caps. Got alot of static for it, didn't feel like making the 16 mile round trip to fetch caps, just fired other guns.

Several weeks later went back to 'show how it's done' but made sure I had caps that time. Set water filled jugs out that time also, loaded the TC, and advised I was going to shoot one of the ones approx 100 yds out. My Chief advised I wasn't going to hit that thing at that range with that rifle (The TC). Advised him to watch. Took aim, set the double trigger, squeezed the front trigger and Blam. The milk jug exploded. Heard SOB in the back ground. All were impressed. Everyone wanted to shoot the TC half dozen or so times.  Still hear about it forgetting the caps the first time now and then even though it's been forty some years ago.  :-[ :P ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 08:07:27 AM »

AH WELL YEA,

Somewhat embarrassing to step up to shoot a CAS stage and suddenly find you failed to charge one cylinder.  Shooting Gunfighter no less.  Won't mention whom that actually happened to.  Protecting the Guilty ya know.

People are Still Contagious.  Avoid 'em

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 09:43:45 AM »
Oh you'll have that. So busy getting all the little things together and sometimes forget the most important ones. I once hiked through the woods to get to my deer stand to realize I left the magazine to my rifle and ammo in the truck. A worse than that went goose hunting once, got the decoys all out in the field and ready to hunker down and realized I left my shotgun at home. Luckily I know a couple others that have forgot their guns or ammo so I don't feel like the only dumb one.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 10:12:29 AM »
Well, I'll own up... ::)

They even had a Winter Range stage written up to highlight the " bonehead faux pas"

Some years ago... I was getting already for SASS State event...
 I decided to pack the jeep the night before, cart check ! guns check ! ammo check

The plan was getting an early start, get up get dressed, hit the road, grab an Egg McMuffin and coffee at Micky D's on the way. ! Planned for an easy stressful drive.

So, come the morning, I jumped in the truck and hit the Micky's which was about 4 miles from the range.

IT WAS THERE, I realized I was in my TRUCK, the TJ was still in the garage at home DUH !

"All Hat and no cattle"... Guns, ammo, cart were right where I put then in the JEEP !

Well, so much for a no stressful drive, on the plus side Winter Range though it funny enough to write a stage, and I did get some Winter Range Swag to remember it by  ::)

By the by.... the hour drive there and an hour back home, then back 1hr. to the range = mmmm

NOPE I chalked it up to experience, never did shoot the Match.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Virgil Lantey

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • 3-7-77
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2022, 07:03:06 PM »
Sounds like many of us have a similar story!
The end of my story is sad. I've had it up to my eyeballs with my local range, the only range in my immediate vicinity. I plan to attend the next board meeting to voice my disgust but I know it will fall on deaf ears. The next nearest shooting facility (which is outstanding) is about an hour drive but they may be getting my membership. It's that or going out onto BLM land. Not ideal, but I could make it work.
I envy you who have a nice facility in which to shoot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com