Author Topic: Wanted Punitive Raid/ Mexican Revolution  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Wanted Punitive Raid/ Mexican Revolution
« on: July 07, 2022, 07:17:31 AM »
As you may know, I curate a not-for-profit military museum in Kissimmee, Florida.

We just added a Liberty Ship lifeboat to our WW1 -WW2 Maritime exhibits.
It's added  length, has open up additional wall space on the opposite side, where the Spanish American &
the entrance to WW1 exhibits.
With the gracious contributions of Taccosa Joe Ray, I had extended the Spa-Am Exhibit.

I'd like to add 1916-17 Punitive Raid/ Mexican Revolution as prelude to the new to be add WW1 Trench
experience diorama.

I currently have one early original Duck uniform coat Circa 1912 (previously in WW1), I'd like to build around.
I am reaching out to what you all might have, Photos, artifacts, horse equip. books, Accouterments, uniforms (replica or original) bandoleers, even weapons (working of not)
What have you?   
 If you might care to donate, or loan, I will Glady send you a Donation or loan form. and Credit
" from the collection of ..... " or " Donated By ....." is displayed with each artifact in the exhibt.

I know its along shot, but does not hurt to ask, even Ideas or suggestions are appreciated

Thanks Major 2

By the by... if you happen to be in the area, come by, mention you saw it on CAS City and be my guest
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Re: Wanted Punitive Raid/ Mexican Revolution
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 08:00:15 AM »
I like the life boat!  Where did that come from?  I doubt if there a very many of those around anymore.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 08:12:27 AM »
Love it. My dad and father in law both worked in the Baltimore shipyards during the war building Liberty Ships. I’m sure there’s some kind of shipyard archive in Baltimore you could contact if you haven't already. I don’t have anything from the shipyards, do have some stuff from the Great Baltimore Fire in 1904. Cant wait to see your cool museum Major. Planning for a fall trip down south.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:09:33 AM »

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »
Ed you will be more than welcome, you too Ned should you head this way :)
Equally so anyone from Cas City :)

The Liberty Ship lifeboat came from the Jacksonville Merchant Marine Museum.
It was donated to our care, as Covid was the death nell to the building that housed their exhibits.
They lost their lease.

We received a goodly number of additional items as well ...Uniforms, personal items. some very cool Ship models (including a museum quality Arizona, and a 6' long Iowa Class Battleship all now on display)

I just got home a few munities ago, I installed some walls to cordon off the Navy/Maritime area.

What I need is 1918-1917 Punitive expedition exhibit material and or addition Span-Am

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 04:48:28 PM »
Major, I _might_ have some web gear of the appropriate vintage.  Want me to check next trip to the old place?

Any chance you've got a reel-to-reel player?
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 05:04:20 PM »
That would be fantastic...no reel to reel though

Offline smoke

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 07:28:13 AM »
I've still got a Cav. uniform if you want it.
GAF#379

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 03:07:54 PM »
You bet PM me  :)

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 04:59:20 PM »
Good afternoon, Major.

I can't help you with the Punitive Expedition but there was a pre-cursor event that occurred on April 21, 1914 and would extend into November, 1914:  The Occupation of Vera Cruz.

This event was triggered by an attempt to circumvent a U.S. arms embargo.  Mexico was deep in the sorrows of a very violent revolution.  Two civilians (who may or may no have been assisted by Imperial German authorities) purchased for the Huerta Government some 100,000 Winchester rifles.  To avoid the U.S. arms embargo imposed by President Wilson, these weapons were shipped from the U.S. to Germany, where they were loaded onto a German merchant vessel and dispatched to Vera Cruz, Mexico.  To prevent delivery of same to the Huerta forces, the USN was ordered by President Wilson to occupy the Port of Vera Cruz, which they did on 21 APR 1914.  The occupying force consisted of about 500 Marines and 300 Sailors.  The occupation was opposed and a two day fight ensued.  Additional forces were landed.  The Mexican forces were at a serious disadvantage and were subdued, but not without cost.  A defensive perimeter was set up around town and Mexican forces quickly established siege lines.  On or about 1 May the U.S. Army started landing a relief force and BGEN Frederick Funston assumed command.  A lot of diplomatic maneuvering was taking place and Gen. Huerta was caught in a "two front war."  Eventually he was forced out of office.  The Army would remain in Vera Cruz until November, 2014.

This incident is significant to the U.S. as it was the first large scale landing of U.S. forces in a foreign country in the 20th Century.  The lessons of the Spanish American War had been learned, and the deadly confusion of that operation was avoided.  It would be the last major amphibious operation where armed Sailors would be landed with Marines in numbers.  It was the first deployment of U.S. military aircraft in a combat role, with Navy six floatplanes being deployed and used for reconnaissance.  These aircraft would also be the first U.S. military aircraft to engage in air strikes upon a foreign enemy.  (This is actually a rather remarkable story in itself; I'll save that for another time.  ;) ).  It showed the quick response of the Army in deploying substantial numbers of combat troops on short notice.  All in all, it was a remarkable operation.  And is virtually unknown outside of some very small circles.

I do not have any artifacts, but do have a series of photos I've collected over time.  If you would like, I'll send them to you.

Respectfully,

SQQ

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 05:12:28 PM »
We use Vera Cruz as the inspiration for the Era of Expansion match a few years ago.  We may have to do that again in 2023!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 06:22:29 PM »
Indeed Sir, and thanks

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2022, 07:07:27 PM »
That would be fantastic...no reel to reel though
I'll see what I can find.  Back in the reel-to-reel days, I interviewed a veteran of the Revolution (Carrancista, IIRC).  I might still be able to locate the tape, but I was very young and dumb, and probably didn't ask good questions. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2022, 07:49:45 PM »
That is TOO cool, and thank for your help  :)

I had the opportunity, to sit with a Tuskegee pilot he was so interesting to talk to.
He was recorded, and a 97 he is still kicking and giving interviews.

Another, honor was to meet and talk with Mr. Bill Roberts (Capt. Willian F.  Roberts)
555 Bombardment Group, who flew Marauders. He past away just a Month and 1/2 after I met him.

ROBERTS,
WILLIAM FRANKLIN
William Franklin Roberts, 97, died on August 11, 2019 in Gainesville, Georgia.
Born February 16, 1922 in Jacksonville Florida, William served as a B-26 Marauder pilot with the 386th Bomb Group, 555th Bomb Squadron during World War II. He flew 50 combat missions and was in Paris on VE-Day.
Mr. Roberts was a graduate of both the University of Florida and UCLA as well as a Charter Life Member of the University of Florida's National Alumni Association and Grand Guard. William worked at Northrop Corp and the Aerospace Corporation in Southern California as well as GE in Philadelphia. He provided technical assistance for the first communications satellite and for developmental stages of the space shuttle. Earth Day in 1970 inspired William to found Sigma Treatment Systems. He patented pollution control systems for ships at sea and traveled the world, giving lectures and promoting his company.
William's active retirement included a purposeful emphasis on creative ventures to balance his largely technical career. He often said, 'I feel like I have lived several lives, and they were all good.'
William was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Constance Charron Roberts, in May, 2014.
He is survived by four sons; eight grandchildren; two great grandchildren; many special nieces and second cousins, plus numerous other relatives and friends of all ages in many locations.
On August 29th at 2:00PM a Memorial Service will be held for William at Lanier Village Estates, a retirement community in Gainesville, GA.
A later interment, with full military rites will be at the
Florida National Cemetery in Jacksonville. This will be a joint interment for William and Constance.

Offline S. Quentin Quale, Esq.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
Good afternoon, Sir!

Took me some time to find my "bits and pieces" but here they are.

The main directory is all the photos I have at hand.  I may have more.  If I find some I'll send them on.  I do an impression based upon the photograph of LCDR Keating, which is included.  Trying not to be too "farby," but the shoulder boards are wrong and the saddle is wrong.  The bridle and halter are genuine 1909 style, even if the bit is not.

A subdirectory has maps of Vera Cruz from that time.

I have not been able to locate any photos of the aircraft of that time.  Next time we head to Pensacola I'm going to call the NAVAIR Museum ahead of time and see what I can find from them.

This time period is important and very controversial because of the American actions in Mexico and Wilson's open support of one or more of the "presidential pretenders."

Thank you for the work that you have done, here.  :)

SQQ

a/k/a Bill Kambic, Kingston, TN

P.S.  "Houston, we have problem."  Due to site limits I can't just send you a directory.  I've got to post individual photos, not more than four at a time and with other limits.  If you have an e-mail address we can use please send it to me and I'll reply with the directory attached.  Sorry for the delay!  :(

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 07:00:21 PM »
PM sent, with gratitude

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2022, 07:09:16 AM »
Here you go

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2022, 07:32:45 AM »
I have assembled a small exhibit I'll be adding to it as objects are aquired.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com