Author Topic: Short Brass ?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Short Brass ?
« on: May 05, 2022, 09:37:37 PM »
 Does anyone here trim their brass for their 40-60 WCF, (whatever the Mfg.), too 1.762 when loading a 200gn. cast bullet?
 The reason for asking,,,,,,,,, i bought 60 rounds today, 43rds. loaded,17rds. had been fired.
 It is all new 45-70 R P brass, ea. box tagged, 40-60,200gn., (cast), hardness test shows to be about 15-18 BHN, (some over), but they only mic'd at .401-.403, they are short, look like pistol bullets. I pulled some of the bullets (to see which powder they, he, used), ?????
 I pulled all of them (powder for flower food), finally found a lite stamp on the end of a box, "MIDWAY 05-08", feller said (guy i got'm from), man they been here for years.

I trim my 40-60 brass @ 1.875-1.880, using 403168 (Lyman), 215gn. Rain'n out, just making conversation.

coffee's ready,  Hootmix.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Short Brass ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2022, 09:08:46 AM »
Do they function?

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2022, 09:58:40 AM »
 Matt, I did keep one loaded rd., the powder (?) that came out of the others had black some black grains in it (could have been wet), a few of the bullets i pulled out by hand, all were seated below the driving band & no crimp. This led me to believe he (they) was 1st. time loaders. If it sounds like i'm over cautious, "I am". Don't think they would have fed from the mag. tube w/o some of the bullets backing down into the cases, i single loaded a couple of rds. to see if they were sized properly.
 We pay's our money we take our chances, bought sight un-seen. Will probably use for 240gn. bullets or ??

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:21:52 AM »

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2022, 02:09:23 PM »
Slamfire,

You did the right thing by taking them apart and using the brass and lead but throwing out the powder.  I do not use others reloads, just too iffy.

See link below -- to a good example of what can happen when 'desire' overrides prudence.

PS That brass seems too short for any proper chamber.  I know people will cut brass back to cycle longer bullets but this seems way to short from the 1.89"COL.
Black River Smith

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2022, 03:36:07 PM »
BRS, thank you, seeing that fine 92 all broke up, brought a tear to my eyes. Glad to hear the shooter was not badly hurt.
 I did weigh the powder in the rds. average @ about 19gns. + -, it was really fine pencil lead looking, not anything i'm familiar with, it also had some black pieces in it, so out it came (dumped). As far as the bullets, into the pot, too hard for my taste. Primers look like CCI, red w/ a gray dot in the center, ???.
 I barely trust myself.

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2022, 08:42:41 AM »
a big 'yup' on all above ;) The length of the brass seems to indicate the trimmer of said cases didn't understand toggle link actions very well.

Offline KenH

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 07:34:31 AM »
 I barely trust myself.
Boy is that a good statement - sounds like my thinking....  check, then double check, then wonder "did I check that"?

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 07:49:07 PM »
Big HEY Ken H, good to hear from ya'. I think i can use them for 240-245gn. cast, Lyman 403169 or equal .

BRS, sent you a PM!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com