Author Topic: Condiment  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Condiment
« on: September 01, 2021, 11:04:36 AM »
It has really been quiet here.    Hopefully everyone is doing some good cooking.     

It was a royal pain during shutdown, how quickly canning supplies flew off shelves.    It cut me back on what I do a lot of.    I make my own mustard.   So, I have been to two Grand Musters (you should really shoot one of those) and here is some grand mustard.   Really easy.   
This is a basic Dijon.   i will put some variations at the bottom.

Ingredients
1 ½ cup of white wine (I used Chardonnay as I believe the grapes are from the same region (Burgundy) as Dijon)
2/3 cup champagne or white wine vinegar
1 cup water (more as needed)
1 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup mustard seeds
¼ cup dry mustard

~tablespoon of crushed garlic (I actually mix it with the salt and crush to a paste)
1 teaspoon salt

Bring the first five ingredients to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature and strain. Add remaining ingredients and cover. Let sit at ambient temperature for 24 to 48 hours. I use a big plastic container and recycle it afterwards, as that will always have that flavor/smell.

Add mixture (in batches, unless you have an industrial blender) to a blender and blend to desired consistency, adding water as needed. Place in a pot and bring (very thick) mixture to a “boil” and simmer for 10 minutes. Add water to get a decent consistency.

I can by having sterilized jars and lids ready. When it has simmered for 10 minutes, carefully transfer to the jars (moving quickly), filling to within an 1/2 of an inch of the top, cap and invert the jar on the counter. When all are done (if last jar is not completely filled, just put that one in the fridge and use it first) and the last one is inverted, wait 5 minutes and turn all the jars upright. As they cool, they will seal, any that do not (have never had that happen) can go to the fridge to be first on the buns.
Do not eat or open for 10 days.   it will be harsh for the first week, letting it sit 10 days allows flavors to mellow and meld.   Once 10 days have passed, it is good mustard.

Variations
For a more yellow mustard, add a teaspoon of tumeric to the mix when liquid is added to the mustard seeds.
For a little spicier version, use a 50-50 mix of yellow and brown mustard seed.  you can kick that higher by replacing two tablespoons of seeds with black mustard seed.
Add 2 tablespoons of prepared horseradish before blending it to kick it up a notch as well.

Grill brats (the sausage, not petulent children, judge was real clear on that distinction!) and enjoy.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: Condiment
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:55:21 AM »
Excellent, Paul!

Love the label, too.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com