Author Topic: 66 ejection direction  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
66 ejection direction
« on: August 21, 2021, 09:10:14 AM »
Howdy Cowboys,
My new (to me) 66 carbine ejects most shells straight back into my forehead. Is there a way to get the thing to eject more to the (right) side or straight up more?

Rev. Chase

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4669
Re: 66 ejection direction
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 02:47:49 PM »
My good Reverend, not trying to be a wiseguy here, but how wide is the brim of your hat? A narrower brim such as a bowler might keep it from bouncing into you.
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 06:54:03 PM »
Howdy,

I was practicing with A-Zoom snap caps. Someone suggested that empties might react differently. They did. Went more straight up and didn't hit me.

I rarely wear my bowler, but may have to put it in the rotation more regularly.

Rev. Chase

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:10:14 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 09:17:40 AM »

:)  Well . . Hi Reverend   ;)

By golly it's ME again   ::)   Yepper, heavy practice rounds will whack ya right inna forehead.  Reliably.  Instead of those 'Zooms, try it with self made dummies with 148Gr round nose in the cases.  Give your forehead LUMPS it will.  Don't ask how I know this fact  ::)

Next suggestion up for bids.  Make up a home-brew snap cap made from an actual case with the primer pocket filled with RTV or some such.  Then file a section of the case rim completely off.  Chamber that round so the the flat part is under the extractor and dry fire away.  Just don't forget it's there before a match.  Pop it out with a rod.  Don't ask how I know about THAT fact either  :o

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 09:33:25 AM »
Thanx Coffin,

Good advise. My real concern was if there was going to be a problem at the range. I tried empty cases and the problem diminished. I'll have to wait for some range time to confirm that I don't have a problem. I don't mind the snap caps hitting me in the forehead for the purposes of checking function in my basement (aside from having to pick of the ejected caps. I think I'm out of the woods here.

Rev. Chase

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com