Author Topic: Western style revolver holster for IPSC?  (Read 3077 times)

Offline G Bulldog Grainisland III

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Western style revolver holster for IPSC?
« on: February 22, 2019, 02:28:22 AM »
Howdy,

I'm seriously considering to partake in IPSC revolver class. I'm trying to identify western style holsters that would fullfil them rules and still look cool instead of space gun holders.
So leather would be preferred, but I could live with kydex, well maybe.
I don't want a thumb break 'cause I'm worried that it'll mess up my draw. Obviously I'm not gunning for top spots since I'm putting style in front of performance, but there you go ;)

Since I'm certain some of you guys do shoot six guns in IPSC i was wondering what type of holsters do you use?

TIA,
-Bulldog

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Western style revolver holster for IPSC?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 08:09:12 AM »
If you are in CAS, you are already in IPSC.  The only difference is that in CAS/IPSC you wear cowboy boots.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 09:21:54 AM »
I’ve got to slightly disagree with you Mr. Buff, if you shoot SASS Wild Bunch you are in CAS/IPSC. But if you shoot WB whilst shooting a 1911 or 1911a1 one handed, wearing a 1912 summer uniform, a Mills belt, flap holster, flap pouches and a DI hat you are correctly shooting Wild Bunch/ no ipsc. IMHO [There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.]
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:27:05 AM »

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »
I'm betting the Law Dog was referring to the oft repeated complaint that SASS has turned into IPSC in cowboy boots.

As for answering the OP's question, many older style loop holsters cover the trigger/trigger guard which is a requirement in both IPSC, ICOR, and IDPA. What I'm not sure an old style loop holster would be up to is the retention requirement of those games. It's been 10-12 years since I last shot in a match so I'm not up to date one the requirements but at one time your holster had to retain the gun pretty well for safety reasons.

Dave

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
I don’t think SASS has become ipsc but WB certainly has. But to the OP’s query, first thing is that I wouldn’t shoot my ‘six guns’ in ipsc but I have shot my 625 S&W DA in a few ipsc style matches. Just about any cowboy holster will work if its big enough for your gun’s barrels under lug and front sight. A slim jim style probably wouldn’t work. And it might need to be modded to clear your gun’s adjustable rear sight. Here is my 45 acp 625 and a 45 New Service in my cowboy/military half flap holsters, kinda plain vanilla but they work for me. A good holster maker can buiild any style holster to fit any make revolver with as much retention as wanted. You run into retention issues with these minimal plastic holsters that ipsc speed demons use, a shooter using a revolver in a autos game wearing leather should be fine. I do like the idea of a half flap or strap to retain the gun when not actually on the line to retain the gun when sitting or picking up brass, etc.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline G Bulldog Grainisland III

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:14:51 AM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your replies and views.
Baltimore Ed's picture is pretty much on line with what I was thinking. The only prob being the half flap. In my rule of the necks them rules are to be obeyed and that would mean closed half flap. That would make my draw measurable by calender I'm afraid :(

In any case it seems that a solution might be available

-Bulldog

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:58:44 PM »
I’ve got to slightly disagree with you Mr. Buff, if you shoot SASS Wild Bunch you are in CAS/IPSC. But if you shoot WB whilst shooting a 1911 or 1911a1 one handed, wearing a 1912 summer uniform, a Mills belt, flap holster, flap pouches and a DI hat you are correctly shooting Wild Bunch/ no ipsc. IMHO [There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.]

What I'm saying is that CAS, not counting WB, has become an event where you unload all of your bullets as fast as you can at targets that you can hit spitting at.  This year, to make it a little more interesting for me, I will be shooting the rifle targets with the handguns, rifle on rifle and shotgun on shotgun...duelist, of course.  Even Buster Scruggs shoots duelist. :)  The worst that they can give me for a score is a "P".
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 08:44:33 PM »
Good shooting Mr Buff. I’ve got to agree with you about the too close targets and gamers, guess thats why I’ve always shot duelist and shot real .45’s. I know it’s a fantasy gun game but as my clubs president has stated ‘speed is fine but accuracy is final.’
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com