Author Topic: re: Winchester may reintroduce '73 .... topic  (Read 34675 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
re: Winchester may reintroduce '73 .... topic
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »
Wha' hoppen .... ? Did I miss something?

I thought we had a pretty good discussion going.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
Re: re: Winchester may reintroduce '73 .... topic
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 11:43:08 AM »
It got RUDE .... seems a warning was not enough
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:39:06 PM »
All those pages of civil discussion and all it takes is one fool to ruin it for everyone.  ::)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:24:41 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »
Anyhoo, back on the topic ....

Lately on Canadian GunNutz there have been several good buys on original '73's. They got for what you'd pay for a new Uberti repro. Some may require a little work, but they'd make a good platform.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:01:12 PM »
Anyhoo, back on the topic ....

Lately on Canadian GunNutz there have been several good buys on original '73's. They got for what you'd pay for a new Uberti repro. Some may require a little work, but they'd make a good platform.

There is a frame on Gunbroker right now for 53.00.  Mighty tempting.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Wes Tancred

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »
As the originator of the topic, I request that the thread be restored to the 1873 forum. Surely there aren’t any “cowboys” so fragile that they can’t stand to see some disagreement or rancour? There is a vast world out there, and this is a part of it. It is no use pretending otherwise; and it is a disservice to cowboys, children, and even hothouse flowers, to try to shield them from reality. Overbearing moderation is stifling the life and value out of too many forums.

The Winchester May Reintroduce the 1873 thread is loaded with useful information, and it concerns what many would consider to be a historic event in the world of classic firearms. I checked it daily for news. If the thread can not be reinstated intact, then at least prune away the rancorous messages and re-post it.

Thank you,

Wes Tancred

Offline rdstrain49

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 08:32:39 AM »
I'm not generally a fan of the forum police, but in this case, well done Major 2

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »
I agree with Wes. The thread was fine until the last few posts from the one knucklehead.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
Yessir a year ago word on the street was that WINCHESTER is going to reintroduce the model 1873, and by golly they did. It was a grand success even tho the cartridge they first used wasn't thought to be the best offering.
 Fast forward to today, and WINCHESTER has not only reintroduced the model 1873, but they have several variations. Myself I'm disappointed they did not bring it in 32 and 38wcf, maybe next year.
http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/category.asp?family=027C

EDIT
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline KirkD

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:29:56 AM »
I sure hope the plans are to bring it out in 32-20 and 38-40. Next comes the Model 1876 (I hope). I think a run of Model 1876 carbines would be the cat's meow.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 09:35:20 AM »
Now that's just exactly the type of post that should get someone a time out followed by clicking on the moderate post button when the time out expires..
 Winchester is still in business always was , and they brought out the 1873 again. Deal with it.

That's funny coming from the guy that got the thread shut down with your childish name calling and insults. And tell me, what's the difference between "made in Japan by Miroku" and "made in Italy by Uberti"? I don't get all worked up over ten letters.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 09:37:03 AM »
I sure hope the plans are to bring it out in 32-20 and 38-40. Next comes the Model 1876 (I hope). I think a run of Model 1876 carbines would be the cat's meow.

Kirk I would about bet as slow as the sales on the imitation 76's are Winchester probably isn't going to do that one. But as we've seen over the past year, the demand for a real model 1873, and the success the other reintroduced models were, we will have new 73's around for a few more years.

Offline MJN77

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »
Why on earth do you think it means anything to me at all? Why is it such a huge deal to you? You act like this is the holy grail. It's just another replica gun. I think you need to take a valium or a stiff drink and relax. It's just a gun. Although you are entertaining. ::)

To deny that Winchester isn't making anything is.... (you can fill in the blank)

I fully agree with you, Winchester isn't making anything. Miroku is.  ;D You have a good day now. I have other things to do. Who wants to bet this thread gets deleted too?  ;)

Offline Wes Tancred

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 10:31:47 AM »
Although I personally am not bothered by vehement debate, or even heated exchanges of insults, there is no question that the latter are prone to getting forum threads locked or deleted. I wish that the two gentlemen who disagree as to what constitutes a true Winchester rifle would have learnt from what happened to my thread, and refrained from instantly repeating the same antics here, grossly undermining my appeal for the reinstatement of the topic and discussion. The proper thing would have been to start a new thread on the topic of newly manufactured Winchester rifles. Perhaps it is still not too late to do just that. It's a valid and potentially interesting topic, if discussed and debated in a scholarly manner.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:25 AM »
I really don't dispute it being CALLED a Winchester, after we call Browning rifles made by Miroku Brownings.

I just disagreed the comment that they will be worth some EXTREME value in the future. Production numbers will have an effect on that, the more successful the gun sells the less collectable it will be. Time will tell on that and until then Ranch13 and I will have to agree to disagree.

My Browning A-Bolts are marked with tasteful little marking on the barrel that reads Browning, Morgan Utah, Made in Japan/Miroku. Why wasn't this Winchester marked tastefully like the Browning instead of big old ugly generic block letters all over it?  

So my disappointment with the gun itself is that they had the chance but failed to make a gun that represents the iconic 1873 Winchester. Within 10 feet this 'real Winchester' cant be used to depict an original 1873, for what many people use these new guns for that matters. Plus the factory short stroke.

I never said it's not a good gun, Miroku makes good guns, no questioning that. For just an out of the box shooter the Miroku may be the better choice.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »
Wes,

Starting another thread...That is an excellent idea.
My best,
Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »
One of the reasons for non-historic roll stamps is to forestall the 'antique weapons' fakery business. Not that it still couldn't be done, but it would require more effort.

My wife and I each have a B-92 and I've got the '86 model. Do I give a ratz azz that it isn't a "Winchester"? I'm playing a fantasy game that requires real and/or replica firearms of a certain era. I enjoy their quality and ruggedness.

There isn't much historic about the Ruger line of SA's, or the SAA clones that use frame mounted firing pins either. This whole "It ain't authentic" brouhaha is such a specious proposition as to be laughable. Don't like the gun - don't buy it! Shoot originals. Done deal.

I drive to shoots in an air-conditioned 4x4, towing a deluxe tin tee-pee with 2-way fridge, propane stove, etc. I stand on the line with my "Frontiersman" cap & ball revolvers alongside 'IPSC Cowboys' with loads that would be marginal for taking rabbits, not as effective as a HV .22 LR.

So, can we get back to an adult level of discussion without throwing sand in each other's faces? Other than that, why don't the protagonists arrange to meet face to face and do a "last man standing" show down. I'd buy a ticket.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »
Cliff the "extreme" value thing comes from , the color case hardened version that is/was only available by special order at the Shot Show. The number of those rifles were very limited in quantity and were snapped up in an instant by no doubt a very small number of Winchester distributors. As FCR stated most of those will probably never be fired. Given what we know about gun collectors , in the future when once again Winchester does not offer the model 73 in their line up, those limited number rifles in unfired condition will be bringing extreme value...

But in the end PJ said it here, others stated it on the other thread if you don't like the rifle for what ever reason, don't buy the darn thing, but let those of us that have a good deal of interest in purchasing a Winchester marked new production rifle discuss it..Because so far the Winchester marked rifles of other models we have purchased are darn fine firearms.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »
Wes Tancred

Please feel free to start another thread,  Sadly the other needed "well" moderating...
Seems a lively conversation can not be intrusted to those who resort to slurs & name calling.

I'm currently traveling on business and find I must use a Computer in the Biz center of my Hotel... aparantly my own has something of glitch with the Hilton Wifi...

So... until I can apply the proper  EDIT to the 1st. thread and weed out the poor judgement, it will remain in limbo.

Now then, I'm about a thin thread from locking this one  >:(  

If one can not post without getting his " Knickers in Knot " over semantics,  well then a chill pill is in order !  

I'm intrusted to keep the piece & sweep out the place  ..make no mistake I'm watching !
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 01:52:38 PM »
On that Winchester link I notice that they are making the short rifle in .45 LC. They appear to be making the case hardened short rifle in three calibers but boo-boo'd on their editing.  Is that one available in .45 as well?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com