Author Topic: Marlin 1894c vs Ubert 1873  (Read 17059 times)

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Marlin 1894c vs Ubert 1873
« on: July 28, 2013, 07:54:29 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm still doing research into which levergun I want for CAS.

After contacting a few gunshops I've found a new Marlin 1894C for AU$895 and a new Uberti 1873 Special Sporting Short for AU$1680. Both are 20" barrels and 357mag.

I know the Uberti is the nirvana of leverguns but do you think it's worth twice the price of the Marlin? Granted the Uberti looks gorgeous with the pistol grip, checkering and casehardened receiver. The salesman thinks the new Marlins are as good in quality as before their problems so that gives me a little confidence.

I've spoken to a few CAS shooters and they think only choose either the Uberti or Marlin. I've also shot both leverguns and being new to them I couldn't really tell much difference. I know the Marlin cannot be slicked up as much as the Uberti as it can't be shortstroked. I've read somewhere the Marlins can't be fired when tilted over due to the design and are very OAL sensitive. Since I'll be using 38 spl not 357 mag is this a problem? The only time I can think of firing when tilted over is if I'm in a hurry.

I'll only be using it for CAS it it counts for anything?

So do you guys think the Uberti is worth twice the money as the Marlin?

Thanks.

Offline El Coyote

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Marlin 1894c vs Ubert 1873
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 08:14:00 PM »
Well I would stay away from a new Marlin, since Remington took over production I have not heard many good things about Marlin lever guns. Now if it is a new in box model made before Marlin was sold then there is nothing to worry about.

The price your local shop is asking for the Uberti seems to be a bit on the high side. There is a NIB one on gunbroker right now with 0 bids and it is listed at $1,089. I have a Uberti 1873 and I love it. It looks wonderful and has been great for starting out, but I have a slight hang up on American made products so I recently purchased a Marlin 1895 that has already had the Widdermatic action job. I will be happy to let you know what I think of the Marlin once it gets in, hopefully sometime this week.

Good luck in your search!

Offline Frank V

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:41:13 PM »
I have never shot a replica '73 I've  shot a couple original '73s. I've shot the 94 Marlin quite a bit. The Marlin is a good sound weapon & I would buy a new one if I could look it over carefully for fit & finish. The new Marlins are a lot better now than 4 years ago. I've looked at a lot of them to see, & have seen a huge improvement. I have heard the '73 action is more reliable for fast shooting due to the straight feeding of ctgs. I'm not sure of that because the Marlins I've shot have been awfully reliable.
    My big question would be about strength. The '73 was designed for black powder & the .357 operates at considerable higher pressure. It is also locked into battery by a toggle system that isn't the strongest. I know metal is better now, but the design is the weak link not the metal. The Colt SAA is made of modern steels not too, but wise people don't hot rod it, well not for long.
  The Marlin was also designed during the BP era, but it's original design allowed the use of smokeless without too many changes. The Win mod 92 is another example of this.

If it were me, as much as I admire the '73 I think I'd stay with one in say the .38-40 or .44-40 & stay away from high pressure loadings. I'd choose the Marlin if it were going to be in .357.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!

S.W. Montana

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:00:14 PM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:50 AM »
I work for a company where we teach clients the basics of CAS type guns then put'm through CAS type stages. We use several '73 copies and one Marlin. None have given us any real problems, they are all shot with .38 Spl loads. Some weeks a gun is shot as much as the average CAS Shooter will shot in 6 months. The '73 is Boss. It's a myth that they fall to pieces with 'hot' loads. Remember that you're using a pistol round, not .45-70 or.50-90 or other such heavy rounds.  If you stick to factory loads or loads that stay within the standard working pressure of those loads you will not tear the gun up. If it'll reassure you, call Uberti. I've talked to some of the family, they build their stuff to work and work well.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:34:25 AM »
Stay away from any of the new Remington Marlins, the top Marlin gunsmiths claim they are pure junk. A good slicked up Marlin will out run a stock 73. A short stroked slicked up 73 will out run a slick Marlin. However there are some top shooters that can operate their slick Marlins jest as fast as most slick 73s. Go to some matches and try out both to see what feels best to you, try before you buy. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »
As i said in my OP, I have tried both and they both feel the same to shoot.

I ended up calling the gunshop run by Savage Sam's dad and they had bad things to say about the marlins, even the new ones. In fact the gunsmith refuses to work on them,

Now I'm just as confused.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
As i said in my OP, I have tried both and they both feel the same to shoot.

I ended up calling the gunshop run by Savage Sam's dad and they had bad things to say about the marlins, even the new ones. In fact the gunsmith refuses to work on them,

No chance at a nice Rossi 1892?  Thos eseems to be dependable, easy on the wallet, attractive, etc.  I do not own one, but I hear good things about their accuracy as well. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 10:42:46 PM »
No chance at a nice Rossi 1892?  Thos eseems to be dependable, easy on the wallet, attractive, etc.  I do not own one, but I hear good things about their accuracy as well. 

No one recommends the Rossi down here in Australia although I did spot a few at matches. Having worked the action it feels very clunky compared to the Uberti/Marlin. In fact no one recommends the Winchester 92/94 or any of their clones.

Offline Frank V

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
[quote author=TheOtherLeft

Go over to www.marlinowners.com
Give a look to what those who own & like the Marlins are saying.
I think you'll find the new (within the last two years) are very different Marlins from the early Remington Marlins.
They aren't up to the quality of the original, but they are not junk either. I have examined a lot of them because I really like Marlins. I've found the quality to be a lot higher than a few years ago.
Personally I wouldn't be afraid to buy one after looking it over carefully.
Good luck on your search.
Let us know what you decide.

S.W. Montana

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 09:58:42 PM »
Thanks for the advice so far.

Having read through a lot of posts on the Marlin Owners Forum it seems there are still some QC issues with the new marlins. Yes the QC has increased a lot since late 2012 but they are still not as good as the pre-Remlins.

My mind is swaying back to the Ubertis due to piece of mind.

Offline Frank V

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 01:31:47 PM »
I think the new Marlins are a lot better now.
I'd still look one over very hard, what I'm saying is the ones I've looked at in the last year & I've looked at a lot of them on the rack, I don't think I'd buy one sight unseen, but the newer ones are not all that bad. ;)

S.W. Montana

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:24:25 PM »
For the 2nd time, my wife has won our club's annual rifle speed & accuracy side match with her older Marlin .357 carbine.

Target was the usual SASS steel Cowboy shot off hand at 100 yds.

That left a lot of .44's, .45's and assorted Ubertis in her dust, including my Browning '92 .44 with .44 Spl. loads.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
For the 2nd time, my wife has won our club's annual rifle speed & accuracy side match with her older Marlin .357 carbine.

I'm not doubting the older (pre-Remlin) Marlins. It's the newer ones I'm wary of.

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 11:28:55 PM »
I've owned Marlin 94s in 38 (2) 45 (2) 44-40, relined to 38-40 and rebarreled to 38-40. also briefly picked up a 32 magnum. I have highest regard for these work horse rifles. My hands down favorite for sighting and fantastic balance is a 24 inch 45 Colt.
That said, I did get one Uberti 73 in 38-40. After handling several, I found for Cas I preferred the little round barreled carbine. It just handles better, for me, the shorter lighter barrel shifts the nose heavy attitude back to center neutrality I personally liked.
For authenticity, if that is important, the Uberti will look better. For plain shooting with no problems, ease of cleaning, sheer strength and safety, go Marlin. With a scope and the proper load of Hornaday XTP bullets, my 24 inch .357 Marlin Cowboy cuts near inch groups.
If you are willing to shell out $1600 for a Uberti, why not go to the auctions and buy a Marlin made gun on auction.
I have no knowledge of Remington made lever problems. I don't know if this is real or just people resisting change and anticipating the worst...like I often do. Seems like even a Rem made Marlin could be properly slicked up and any weakness addressed by a good cowboy gunsmith. Check out Long Hunter's web site.
Also if you can find one, why not consider one of the new Winchester .357 73 rifles made by Miroku. Miroku makes fine guns. My Japan made 1885 Browning Traditional Hunter in 38-55 was superbly accurate and well made. I won several long range side matches with it.
The new Winchesters list for $1300 in the short rifle. American Rifleman just gave a good review.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
Hey Fred - scroll over to the '73 forum and mention the new Miroku/Winchester (Mirochester?) ...... have your ear plugs handy .... ;>)
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Frank V

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, 10:02:20 AM »
I have a friend who had a Marlin 94 .44WCF, he likes Black Powder. He mounted a scope on his rifle to work up his load, which when he settled on one, was shooting 1" groups @100yds. He then pulled the scope off & went back to irons. That was one nice shooting rifle & cleanup was a snap too the way a Marlin will come apart, clean from the breech not muzzle.

S.W. Montana

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
Two of the best rifle shooters for speed and accuracy that I know shoot Marlin rifles, one in 44-40, the other .45 Colt. Both with BP. If you beat them, you've had a good day.
They never have a bobble and the clean up is done easily compared to other lever guns. Both use water for that and I cringe every time I see it!

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
Hey Fred - scroll over to the '73 forum and mention the new Miroku/Winchester (Mirochester?) ...... have your ear plugs handy .... ;>)
Ya know PJ, The kind of day I've had, I dont know that I'd be good company for other people's opinions. I find a lot of stuff on these blogs unsupported by actual experience and a lot of bare ass naked opinion.
I think I'll stay home today.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 08:02:21 PM »
Actually, Fred, I find just the opposite.

Ask an intelligent question in a civil manner and you get a lot of good stuff from people who have "been there - done that".

"Learn from the mistakes and experience of others. You won't live long enough to learn it all from your own."

Offline Fredcdobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2013, 09:45:40 PM »
Actually, Fred, I find just the opposite.

Ask an intelligent question in a civil manner and you get a lot of good stuff from people who have "been there - done that".

"Learn from the mistakes and experience of others. You won't live long enough to learn it all from your own."
Yup. I share what I know and learn too. j

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com