Author Topic: 38spl vs 45LC  (Read 46174 times)

Offline Bart Solo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 38spl vs 45LC
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
I have a set of 38s and 45s.  They are all set up to run fast.  I haven't noticed much difference when it comes to speed.  I mostly use the 38s because they are cheaper to reload.   That means I get to shoot more for less.   I would rather shoot than admire a gun.   :)

By the way if you want to be really authentic, go .44-40.  Lots and lots of cowboys went that route. Pistol and rifle ammunition was interchangable.  Not many rifles made in .45 Colt before the modern era. 

Offline willcarter

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 11:59:58 PM »
Shooting .45 LC is a hoot. I enjoy shooting that caliber, especially from a shooting buddy's S&W Mountain Gun.

For practicality and keeping down costs, the .38 is much cheaper.

I don't actually own any .45 LC firearms, while I do have five in .38 special. I like to plink and informally target shoot with it, use it for Cowboy Action shootin' (Marlin and Cimarron SA) and it is what I carry for CCW (S&W). You should find the components are less expensive too, if you reload.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2014, 10:05:15 AM »
I have a set of 38s and 45s.  They are all set up to run fast.  I haven't noticed much difference when it comes to speed.  I mostly use the 38s because they are cheaper to reload. 

I think having a set of .38s to shoot because of this is a darned good reason to shoot .38, especially lately.  As for your nother point, I did just buy a .44-40 1873 (Ubertoni). 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:14:47 PM »

Offline Bibbyman

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 99098
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »

Here is my matching serial number set (exceptnone has an L and other R) Cattleman in 45 Colt, 5.5 barrels.

Offline Will Lynchem

• Top Active Citizen
  • New York City? Get a rope!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
I don't dance, I have no idea what Tofu is, I just helped my nephew open a new brewery in June Lake Ca, and if my steak is cooked by putting it on a plate and walking it through a warm room,  lm happy!  As for myself,along with many of the Worlds top shooters, (which I'm not)! We use the 38 / 357s. IMHO, if you have that many 38 cases and bullets, then stick with them. You will need every penny of that $3000.00 to buy new guns and have at least some action work done. Either way, good luck and happy / safe shooting!  W.L. ;D
I call that bold talk for a one eyed fat man!!! 
NRA / Dirty Rats # 703 /  SASS # 99703

Offline jimbobborg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 11:19:48 AM »
Wow, this thread was started exactly two years ago!  I believe Stew decided on .45 Colt as his caliber of choice. 

Offline Anvil Al

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
I make and sell Cowboy bullets. That is all I do. It is my living. And can tell you.
That I easily sell 15-20 thousand .38's for every 1 thousand .45's. And most of those buy both and
are just getting the .45's for Wild Bunch. And those that are buying for regular cowboy matches
are looking for the lightest grain .45 bullet they can get.
Just remember. The targets are dead already. We don't need to kill them again. And for those that
think shooting a bigger caliber somehow makes them more manly. Well. They have other
problems. 8)

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2014, 02:36:10 PM »
Or MAYBE they just like to shoot a bigger caliber.  ::) wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 02:53:47 PM »
Or, maybe, just maybe, they like shooting the cartridge calibers that were most commonly available to them within the time period?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
Or, maybe, just maybe, they like shooting the cartridge calibers that were most commonly available to them within the time period?
My best,
 Blair

This is it for me.  I own a .38 and shoot it, but it is loaded with .38 Long Colt cartridges firing black powder. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Kelby

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »
What a fun topic to read. Being new to CAS I needed to also decide the issue and for me cost was an important decision. I wanted good guns that I could afford to shoot. Ended up getting Ruger New Vaqueros in .38/.357  So far I am very happy.  ;D
SASS # 75129

“If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy; if the world were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I wake up each morning torn between a desire to save the world and a desire to savor the world. This makes it very hard to plan the day.” — E. B. White

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »
What a fun topic to read. Being new to CAS I needed to also decide the issue and for me cost was an important decision. I wanted good guns that I could afford to shoot. Ended up getting Ruger New Vaqueros in .38/.357  So far I am very happy.  ;D

Cannot go wrong with that choice in my opinion.  Hope you are always having fun mate.
- Cole Younger

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2014, 09:45:45 AM »
Why is it that the people who shoot warthog loads bad mouth the "gamers". And in 14 years, I am trying to remember where and when the gamers have written about heavy/stout loads. A gamer is not illegal. They might wear tricked out leather, tricked out guns, and light loads but they are legal. BTW, the Wild Bunch calls Cowboy Action Shooting a "fantasy game".
Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
 Since we couldn't be there (1800-1900's) to help make history,then what's wrong with our trying to keep it alive in our hearts and minds. Those in the past bought and shot what was aviable to them,,me too. ( Love a good debate,,,,, don't ya'll).

Hootmix.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2014, 02:35:16 PM »
Slamfire,

Just from my prospective, and mine only, I believe you are correct in your thoughts and approach.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »
Why is it that the people who shoot warthog loads bad mouth the "gamers". And in 14 years, I am trying to remember where and when the gamers have written about heavy/stout loads. A gamer is not illegal. They might wear tricked out leather, tricked out guns, and light loads but they are legal. BTW, the Wild Bunch calls Cowboy Action Shooting a "fantasy game".

I just looked thru this thread and did not find any "warthog load" shooters badmouthing "gamers". On the same note I have had gamers thank me when I was done shooting so their "ears could take a rest". By the way my loads could be a lot stouter than they are. CAS is a fantasy game. What is wrong with that? By your own admission they "might wear tricked out leather, tricked out guns, and light loads." I don't have a problem with that but it is not reality. It seems to me you are the one badmouthing other people. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »
Again, just my opinion,
I feel it has to do with the variety of disciplines, Cas/Was has to offer within their respective scenarios.
Each of these are offering too much!
Too much for what was available during the time period.
Who stops it?
Where does it stop?

My suggestion is to use the History to correct the issues.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2014, 05:27:54 PM »
  YUP!!! cowboys on the range shot one size ,,,,store keepers& gamblers another,,,they all helped make what we'r trying to do ,,,so lets thank them & enjoy it.

Hootmix.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2014, 05:46:32 PM »
I only see manufactured issues. I like shooting BP, WB and a couple of days a week I drive the four miles to the range where I will shoot  my S&W MP 15 or my Walkers or my Beretta .380. I also shoot a couple of different 45/70's. I love to shoot 1911's and recently started shooting WB. At least one day a week we shoot 600+yds with Mosins. I have an issue with individuals who group types of shooters into blanket statements. ie:" Why is it the people who shoot warthog loads bad mouth the "gamers"." & "BTW, the Wild Bunch calls Cowboy Action Shooting a  "fantasy game"."  I really don't believe anyone interested in the shooting sports should making inflammatory statements about other shooters. I have shot "Warthog", I have also shot "poof ting". I would rather shoot Warthog. I guess part of it is that when I finish a stage or a day at the range I have enjoyed myself. I have seen quite a few and shot with quite a few people that if they had a bad stage they were miserable SOB's to be around. I hope I'm never that way. I shoot because I enjoy it. wM1

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »
I shootboth, I even have a loading strip that is 45 on one side and 38 the other side. on my shotgun beld I lave 38 rds on one side and 45 on the other. why be held pack.

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com