Author Topic: Romano Maynard Rifles  (Read 4807 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Romano Maynard Rifles
« on: February 13, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »
Hi,

As soon as the shekels are saved, I am thinking of putting my name in the ring for one of Larry Romano's Maynards (a 1st model in .50 Cal).

Does anyone already own one of these, and do you have any words of wisdom regarding ownership and/or reloading issues?

Please feel free to email me or PM me with your experiences .... I really need advice ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
Re: Romano Maynard Rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »
This has been up a while.  I wish I could help.  That's a cool rifle to have, pard.

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
After posting, I visited his site.  Wow!

I like the later versions and IF I were going to get one, I believe I'd get one of the later versions (bottom of the page) in 38-55.  But the rifles from the (un)Civil War are awesome, too.

Since you showed the picture of one of his Type I rifles, I assume that's what you want ... and in which caliber would you prefer?

VERY cool rifles!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:11:08 AM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
Steel Horse,

I would want the 1st Model, 'cause my NCOWS personna would be that of my great grandfather, who MIGHT/COULD have bartered into one (they were actually issued to the 1st Mississippi  Cavalry), and it seems that the Confederates lacked the capability of making cartridge weapons that used primers ... which for both reasons leaves the 1st Model in .50 cal. I understand, for instance that they could not reload Spencer ammo, which mens that that they only could get ammo for them through 'battlefield donations' ... IF the unit they fought had been issued Spencers (or Sharpes). A dicey situation I don't think a normal soldier would rely on ... like carrying a Kalishnakov in Afghanistan and relying on ammo from 5% of the enemy fallen troops

It will probably be next spring before I could even find the money for a down payment, which is much like buying a used car ... and then it will be another $1K when the weapon is done and ready to be shipped ... but I have thought this through, and the only options for a 2nd Fla. Cavalry would be a some kind of muzzleloader, probably a shotgun or rifle ... and muzzleloaders are not my favorite thing ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 09:47:47 AM »
Good luck to ya, pard!

I'll have to stay in the "Wishful Thinking" stage for the foreseeable future.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 10:12:06 AM »
Steel Horse.

It will sit in the 'intentful [if that is a word] wishful thinking' until I hold it in my hot little hands ... what with the increase in property taxes, the increase in Tricare and such, I am going on faith that I may own one ... *S* ... and have no plan to own it ... just know that I will ...

TTFN,

NCOWS #3403

Offline Alphawolf45

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 05:47:57 AM »
  There are hobby gunsmith machinists who build their own guns, spend months crafting a single rifle... Aggravates me that only few of those guys are devoting their considerable efforts to replicating the old guns...The Maynard could be built from the simple drawing in Frank DeHaas book  "More Single Shot Rifles And Actions" ...For everybody else who hasn't a full machineshop to play in and months of free time those prices for Larry Romano's Maynards are more than reasonable for a limited production, essentially hand built American made  rifle..Is there an organized shooting event that you would shoot such a firearm in?

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »
As an NCOWS member with a Confederate 2nd Cavalry personna, a '58 Remington (with an extra cylinder) and a Maynard would work .... not very competitive compared to a '73 Winchester clone, but if I was interested in competitiveness I would not have considered a Confederate personna ...

Then again, a .40-or-bigger caliber would fit into a buffalo side match .... without a Soule's Style rear site, I would guess that the competitiveness would still be not very great...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com