Author Topic: Issue with mounting and using Lee auto-disk measure???  (Read 3913 times)

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Issue with mounting and using Lee auto-disk measure???
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
OK, I've got to be missing something here.  I got a Lee pro auto disk powder measure a while back and never installed it.  I'm in the middle of loading a bunch of 44 colts and thought maybe it'd speed up my loading process.  I can't figure out how to get it to work.  I understand the principle, but if I have my expander die adjusted to where it will expand the case mouth, it kicks the charging disk to far out of the drop tube and lever comes out of the disk.  If I back the expander die out to where it works rite, I don't expand my case mouth.

What am I missing here?  There's nothing in the directions, only thing I can see that would work is a separate expander die used just for charging cases.  That would work on my turret press since it's a 4 holer, but not on my 3 hole pro 1000.

??? ???
Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Issue with mounting and using Lee auto-disk measure???
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 01:14:40 AM »
I load my 45 Schofield cases on a Lee Turret 4 hole press. I use
1. sizer,decapper
2.Expander
3.Auto disc
4.Seater ,crimp

I do as you say use a separate die to expand , all I do with the auto disc is fill. Which is fine as you say on the Turret 4 hole press.

The Schofield cases were giving me fits as they would not fill on the auto disc stage till I had to remove the auto disc riser feature that I was useing on the auto disc .

Would that be causing you problems with the 44 cases.?
Maybe all I do is confuse you? Sorry
d.
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 03:34:53 AM »
The way it's designed, it's the Pro, not the standard, is when you lift the cartridge into the expander to expand the case mouth you also raise the actuator on the auto disk.  You unscrew the aluminum powder funnel piece on the powder through expander and screw the auto disk into it.  Supposed to make expanding the case and charging it automatic.  Not working so well.  Now if the auto disk had a stop that would keep the charging disk from moving past the drop tube and popping out it would be OK.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:38:11 PM »

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 272
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:54:14 AM »
If you have not already, You may have to install the Lee Auto Disk Riser http://leeprecision.com/auto-disk-riser.html

You can also call Lee Precision and ask for Customer Service (262-673-3075). They have been very helpful to me in the past.

Among the several calibers I reload with the Lee Pro Auto Disc Measure on a Lee classic Turret press are .45 Schofield and .44 Colt.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Charlie Bowdre

• PISTOLARO .
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Charlie Bowdre
  • SASS #: 87747
  • GAF #: 502
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
Lee will give a hand. Don't know anything about the pro 1000. On my Turret press I had to remove my Auto Disc Riser to get the 45 Schofield to trip the switch to dump powder. The Auto Disc and Turret combination is a good pair . I only load small batches of Schofield so it is easier to use this set up rather then change over the 650 XL.

Enjoy
dutchy
"I'm too old to go soldiering any more , too stiff in the joints to ride point and too dam fat to wrestle drunks Any day they don't pat you on the face with a shovel is a good one"

BOLD 887 
Bvt.Major  Chaplain  GAF  502 
STORM 271 
SASS 87747
CHINOOK COUNTRY

Offline will52100

• Top Active Citizen
    • Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
Thanks, the riser looks like what I need.

I'll give them a call, thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com