Author Topic: The cost of Freedom - and no greater love...  (Read 4444 times)

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The cost of Freedom - and no greater love...
« on: July 05, 2010, 11:23:35 PM »
I regret to report that Marine CPL Larry D. Harris, of Colorado, was KIA during a hours-long firefight.   :'(  According to an interview with his mother and step-father (a former Marine), a fellow Marine was hit during the firefight.  CPL Harris went out and carried his buddy to safety, but then tripped the wire on an IED.  No word on the condition of the marine he tried to help. They say he has been awarded the Purple Heart, Combat Action Badge and National Defense Service Medal.  Seems to me he ought to get something more!

"And when he reaches Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, 'One more Marine reporting, sir! I've served my time in Hell!'"

RIP, Marine!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Willie Dixon

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SSS #245 STORM #362 SCORRS C&BWarthog
    • my Pinterest, specifically cowboy related board
  • Liked:
Re: The cost of Freedom - and no greater love...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 06:17:11 AM »
RIP Marine CPL Harris

I am fortunate enough to have made it back, but I've lost plenty of friends.  May his service never be forgotten and may Our Nation be grateful.
At 25, you need to follow dreams or you'll regret it later. 

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »
All Colorado flags are at half-staff today in his honor, as his funeral is conducted.  According to one report, the Marine that CPL Harris was carrying did make it, at least as far as is known.

Semper Fi! (from an old USAF REMF)
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:26:14 AM »

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 04:43:41 PM »
Semper Fi!
from a Semper Pi! ;)

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 05:15:48 PM »
My heart ges out to the family for their loss. I am a Ride Captain for the Patriot Guard and it is hard to attend these services but the families need the support.
 If you are near the area, contact the Colorado Patriot Guard and lend a hand. Its the best way I know of to honor this young mans sacrifice and insure the family are not distracted by outside agitators.
 You can contact thye patriot Guard Riders at www.patriotguard.org ,and you can also leave messages for the family of the fallen hero that will given to the family at a later date.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:32:48 PM »
Mr. Nix,

do you know of anything similar in Arizona?  I used to be part of the USCG's Honor Guard, I know what's it's like.  And I know it's necessary.

thanks

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 09:32:26 PM »
I have learned that the hardest thing to do is not to go to war but rather to send your son. Luckily mine came home. I'm sorry to hear that this son didn't.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Don Nix

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:14:18 AM »
The Patriot Guard is nation wide.  just do a search for Patriot Guard and you'll find links to all states. Unfortunately the national site is down to to an attack but you should be able to search for Ariz. Patriot Guard  and get the info.
 All though it was originall y formed  from motorcyclist,it is open to non riders (and there are many many who drive  cars and trucks.
 the only reqirement is a desire to pay tribute to the service men and women of thei nation who have given so much.
 remember that all gave some ,and some gave all.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
I am also in the Patriot Guard, it's in about all the states I think. Fortunately, I have only had one service in my area since I joined. If you don't ride, standing in the Flag lines is always a welcome contribution too.

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 12:29:37 AM »
Sounds great, thank you very much.
I was medically discharged, and before I took my "early retirement" they offered me to stay as an instructor.  As Mr. Franklin said, it'd be really hard for me to actually send those boys off, and me not be able to go with them.  Not sure if just standing on the sides going to school is any easier, but it's the path I've chosen.  The Patriot Guard sounds like a great way for me to help assist in any way I'm still capable.

thank you

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 08:37:13 AM »
Sad story. And one to anger.

There is to be a burial of a soldier, Pfc. Edwin Wood, today 7/17/2010, in Omaha. Killed by a bomb in Afghanistan.

We have the idiot Roper family coming up from Topeka, KS to protest. Newspaper story reveals these protesters plan to desecrate the flag during the protest,- stomp on it or some such. (The pre-teen Roper son got in trouble for this duty at the last soldier's funeral this family protested. Evidently now they have "gotten permission" to include desecration of the flag as a part of their protest.)

The Patriot Guard, among others, will be here to help shield the soldier's family and supporters.

I hope the real lesson in democracy, freedom and civics learned is that the sacrifice of this soldier is what paid for this family's right to be rude and ugly!

RCJ  
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 09:28:28 AM »
Sad story. And one to anger.

There is to be a burial of a soldier, Pfc. Edwin Wood, today 7/17/2010, in Omaha. Killed by a bomb in Afghanistan.

We have the idiot Roper family coming up from Topeka, KS to protest. Newspaper story reveals these protesters plan to desecrate the flag during the protest,- stomp on it or some such. (The pre-teen Roper son got in trouble for this duty at the last soldier's funeral this family protested. Evidently now they have "gotten permission" to include desecration of the flag as a part of their protest.)

The Patriot Guard, among others, will be here to help shield the soldier's family and supporters.

I hope the real lesson in democracy, freedom and civics learned is that the sacrifice of this soldier is what paid for this family's right to be rude and ugly!

RCJ  

If they attempt to disrupt the actual funeral ceremonies, they should be restrained by the police.  If the police will not cooperate then maybe a cordon of the honor guard can cordon them off a minimal respectful distance from the family.  If they desecrate the National Colors, that, unfortunately is their right (paid for in blood by the young soldier and others  :'( ), but I believe the way to show what we think of them would be to line up in front of them, and then turn your backs to them! 

RIP, comrade dear.  God is neigh!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:06:13 PM »
Trailrider you are a very smart man...I for one, have just never been able to turn the other cheek... Prayers out to both of these families
Mathew 5.9

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:17 PM »
Trailrider you are a very smart man...I for one, have just never been able to turn the other cheek... Prayers out to both of these families

These people have no respect for themselves or anyone else.  It would be too confrontational and cause more of a disturbance, but I would politely inquire, if they hate this country so much, if they have passports, and if not, to offer to pay for their obtaining them to any country they'd like, including the PRC. You know what would happen to them there. Unfortunately, there is no reasoning with such garbage! 

Frankly, I'd turn both cheeks! And what's between 'em!  But that would be lowering ourself (and our trowsers) to their level, not to mention, uh, ah...exposing oneself to a charge of indecent exposure or at least disorderly conduct!

Amen! to your prayers for the families!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Willie Dixon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 02:01:08 AM »
Earlier this week, a ROTC Cadet was walking by in uniform.   Some bastard decided to call him "baby killer" and spit on his uniform!  Before the cadet could respond, I walked up, placed a hand on his shoulder and replied "look, you have a future, mine is already past.  Let me."  As I turned around the POS hippy-boy ran! 

It's amazing what some people choose for thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com