Author Topic: It's Derby time...Place yer bets  (Read 193999 times)

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: It's Derby time...Place yer bets
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »
Arcey, What about the spliter?   LR, That looks like my old steer ropin' horse.

He's set up for Bull doggin'....he's low to the ground
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
LR, That would make it somewhat easier.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2008, 09:41:57 AM »
Needed to take a shim outta the front left

Arcey, What about the spliter? 

No adjustments now.

Jockeys gonna whine ‘bout the set up no matter whutcha do. Wait ‘n see how the track changes.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Advertising

« Reply #123 on: Today at 03:35:05 AM »

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »
  LOL
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2008, 01:19:10 PM »
"We were JUNK when we unloaded off the trailer".
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2008, 07:39:35 AM »
  Read this last evening didn't have time to pass it on

June 25, 2008, 3:44PM
Big Brown trainer Dutrow faces doping penalty

Associated Press

NEW YORK — Rick Dutrow is in trouble again.

The outspoken trainer of Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner Big Brown is facing a 15-day suspension by Kentucky racing officials after another horse he trains exceeded the allowable limit for a drug that enables horses to breathe easier during a race.

Two separate drug tests on 8-year-old gelding Salute the Count revealed the horse had twice the allowable limit of Clenbuterol in his system after finishing second in the Aegon Turf Sprint at Churchill Downs on May 2, said John Veitch, chief state steward of the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority.

Clenbuterol, considered a Class B drug by the KHRA, is often used by humans who suffer from asthma. The drug, which Veitch said contains some steroidal properties but is not considered a steroid, is sometimes used by trainers because of it's ability to increase a horse's lung capacity.

'It's a respiratory enhancer,'' Veitch said. 'It's become quite popular in racing medication because it's used to train on.''

The drug is not permitted in racing, but is regulated by the states through the use of a threshold concentration said Scot Waterman, executive director of the Racing Medication and Testing Consortium. Trainers are recommended to avoid giving a dosage to a horse 72-96 hours before heading to the starting gate, though the threshold level varies from state to state.

Dutrow waived his right to a hearing but plans to file a written appeal, which he must do within the next 10 days. There's no timetable when Dutrow's appeal will be heard, Veitch said.

Dutrow said he sometimes uses the drug in other horses and was previously reprimanded by the New York State Racing and Wagering Board for a similar infraction several years ago.

'I really haven't had any problems with it,'' Dutrow said in a phone interview.

The first positive test was conducted by a lab at Iowa State University. Dutrow requested a second test, which was conducted by a lab at Louisiana State University. That test also came back positive.

Dutrow raced four horses during Churchill Downs' spring meet, the last on May 17. He does not currently have any horses at the track.

As part of the penalty, Salute the Count owners Michael Dubb and Robert Joscelyn must return $24,521 in purse money. On June 15, the horse finished second to First Defence in the Jaipur Stakes at Belmont Park. Drug test results from that race are not yet available said Dan Toomey with the New York State Racing & Wagering Board.

The penalty is the first for Dutrow in Kentucky, though hardly the first time he's run into trouble. He spoke openly about his checkered past during Big Brown's run at the Triple Crown. He's been cited dozens of times over the years for everything from repeated medication violations to his own drug use.

The news of the possible suspension comes just days after IEAH Stables, co-owners of Big Brown, stepped forward and said it would take all of its horses off steroids entirely and shy away from trainers who continue to use the drugs to maintain their horses.

'If they don't want to play by the rules, then they don't get to train with us,'' Michael Iavarone, co-president of IEAH, told The Associated Press in an interview Monday.

Iavarone did not return a phone call or an e-mail on Wednesday seeking comment.

Dutrow is currently competing at Aqueduct while keeping an eye on Big Brown, who has been resting since a shocking last-place finish in the Belmont Stakes on June 7.

Several pictures have surfaced in recent days indicating Big Brown ran almost the entire 1½-mile race with the shoe on his right rear foot dislodged after he collided with Guadacanal shortly after leaving the starting gate.

Iavarone said he believes the shoe problem may have contributed to Big Brown's poor showing in the Belmont, though Dutrow isn't so sure. Big Brown also ran with an acrylic patch on his left front hoof to protect a quarter crack, an injury that kept him off the track for several days leading up to the race.

'I don't know, it's kind of a puzzle to me,'' Dutrow said. 'I just don't get the whole thing. It looks like when you look at the pictures, it could have bothered him, but I should have seen it and the rider (Kent Desormeaux) didn't feel it.''

Desormeaux managed to put Big Brown in perfect stalking position on the backstretch, only to ease him as they made the turn because the jockey felt the big bay colt wasn't right. An extensive post-race examination turned up nothing out of the ordinary.

'The pictures don't lie, but neither does the horse,'' he said.

Big Brown's next scheduled race is the Haskell Invitational at Monmouth Park on Aug. 3.

Looks like he's been removing the restrictor plates

BTW I use the Buterol

Mathew 5.9

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2008, 09:31:29 AM »
Just don't throw a boot, lR ;D ::) :o 8)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: June 26, 2008, 09:48:03 AM »
Roo, I coulda swore that was Ballistol ya had ::)

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Arcey

• Underlord of Soot
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »
Yanno, with all the readin’ comes out on dopin’, human ‘n otherwise in sports, makes ya wonder how much they miss. They ain’t catchin’ ‘em all.
Honorary Life Member of the Pungo Posse. Badge #1. An honor bestowed by the posse. Couldn’t be more proud or humbled.

All I did was name it ‘n get it started. The posse made it great. A debt I can never repay. Thank you, mi amigos.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: June 26, 2008, 02:36:14 PM »
It's only the tip of the iceberg.

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2008, 07:41:15 AM »
If I got the gist of Terry Bradshaw...it was Ok in the 70's

Leo the Ballistol left traces in my Urine Test and to switch for my own consumption to some less traceable.  I don't clean guns now the night before I have to take the exam
Mathew 5.9

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2008, 09:52:29 AM »
LR, I use Gun Scrubber and BreakFree.  The only thing is that my pee smells like BANANAS!

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2008, 10:29:13 AM »
That will attract the Uberti gorillas. :o :o :o
"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
I guess I had better watch where I "GO"!

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2008, 01:35:58 PM »
I guess I had better watch where I "GO"!

:D ;D
     There's a new commercial on out here where two guys are supposedly puttin on an outdoorsman type program.  One fella says ta the camera, "fish eat bugs, so rubbing a fish on ya acts as a perfect mesquito repellant" and proceeds ta do so.  His pard looks at him an says, "yeah, but what about the bears" :o

Leo
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2008, 05:19:51 PM »
I just hope I don't smell like gorilla GLUE!

Offline litl rooster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2009, 03:35:50 PM »
   Nice sunny Spring day ....Time to dust the OTB window off...Soon the Rose will be bloom'n

So whileTrinity is down in Texas scoutin some midget racers out...I found a local favorite.

http://www.fauquier.com/news/2009/mar/31/local-horse-headed-kentucky-derby/

young horse now has a lifetime earnins over 1/2 mil   pretty impressive

Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2009, 03:50:04 PM »
Not a chance there litle roo, I'm gonna put my money on that one from Crete Newbrassky, the one they call Alpo's Choice." ;D
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2009, 03:52:04 PM »
One of Moose's friends and her husband own race horses. They had some horses in the Derby a few years ago.  One horse, in particilar, named  "50 Stars", a gray horse won the Lone Star Futirity here at Lone Star Park.  It didn't do very good in the Derby. The guy that owned the horses is Bob Zollars.

Offline Ozark Tracker

• Top Active Citizen
  • my granddad on his mule around 1907
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »
noticed they been advertisin  Arkansas Derby next Sat.  they always have a good en or 2 come from there.
We done it for Dixie,  nothing else

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com