Author Topic: I surely do miss  (Read 2039 times)

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I surely do miss
« on: December 09, 2019, 04:16:44 PM »
Reading the contributions here! been a bit since new material was written.

:'(
Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
Re: I surely do miss
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »
There have been a couple threads about CAS and Civil War/Indian War re-enacting dying off. The thin participation here may reflect some of that. The interest in and study of history is virtually dead in the public school system and the last few generations can't get their heads out of their smart phones long enough to do something as "lame" as playing cowboy or soldier. When the baby boomers are gone I think these activities will go with them.

My $.02 worth,
Dave

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 03:27:33 PM »
...The interest in and study of history is virtually dead in the public school system and the last few generations can't get their heads out of their smart phones long enough to do something as "lame" as playing cowboy or soldier.....
Dave

That is a fact!

Since the school systems have been forced into "testing mode" to meet some insane Washington DC based mandate,
the teachers have been forced into "teach to pass the test" instead of teaching a rich and interesting cirriculum.

then there's the fact that far too many seem to prefer the snippets in "facebook" rather than a proper conversation on a forum
(I have seen way too many folks abandon forums in favor of faceyspace) and even more would rather be passively fed
a badly made youtub video.

I cannot abide 95% of the youtube vids! they are are bad as watching a "stream-of-consiousness beatnick poem" .

the authors are unwilling or unable to write a decent, cogent script or edit their product.
they fumble their way thru the entire mess, branching off into almost on topic tangents.
they insist on putting their ugly faces and corpses into the video when they are in fact irrelevant to the topic.
and they spend 10 to 20 minutes "explaining" something that could be achieved in a single cogent paragraph
accompanied by a half-dozen well-composed and in focus photos.

The best of the lot are exemplified by "forgotten Weapons" and even those drag on to the point that I fast forward to
get to the only part I care about.

GOod gawd Almighty, I miss the well-written magazine articles of old, where the author actually did proper
reasearch and verified his "facts".....

yhs
prof (old library phart) marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:49:13 AM »

Offline medic15al

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 06:43:42 PM »
Indeed sir. I'm GenX, born in 1970. I spent 1978 up to now reading Jack O'Connor, Bob Milek, Skeeter Skelton, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, ETC....

Journalism of today is pathetic in general compared to these writers. One Video Blogger I really enjoy is Duelist1954, Mike Beleviue. He has the right technical, history, and shooting balance in his presentations.

Pacem in corde meo, Mors de guns

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 09:55:48 PM »
    Them good'ol days is past an gone ,                   This quote : is part of a poem a feller penned  over 70 some yrs. ago , it has always
    Time and the world and change goes on.                               stuck with me .
    And you can't do the things like ya' use to do,
    When cattle was plenty and folks was few.

Merry Christmas Ya'll ,

coffee's ready ,, Cowboy aka: Hootmix.

Offline RobMancebo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 04:14:04 PM »
Sorry about that folks.  I frequently refer people to the site (anyone purchasing 1800s-style guns) but I was knocked down by a heart attack some years back and I just haven't had the abundant energy I used to to write.   If folks miss the stories, I can put some more together.  Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com