Author Topic: Aircraft  (Read 761841 times)

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Aircraft
« Reply #2560 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:11 PM »
Agreed. I think the FM-2 had a higher horse power engine than the original F-4's as well. The FM-2's were well suited to ops off the jeep carriers ::)

Isn't that a neat legacy, those little carriers?  Ever been to NAS Pensacola?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2561 on: January 28, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »
The seasoned Japanese pilots were killed off in the major battles of Coral Sea and Midway, By the end of 43 and the first part of 44, all that were left were young and inexperienced in obsolete and poorly made newer planes. The Kamakizes were out of desperation, to destroy as many naval ships as possible, by crashing into ships. The young pilots were told that it was honor to die for the Emperor.

And we Americans was happy to oblige them sons of Nippon.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2562 on: January 28, 2015, 01:07:42 PM »
I was at the Naval air Museum  on the 75th Anniversary of Naval aviation. I really enjoyed the tour, unfortunately there many aircraft that were outside and deteriorating in the salt air. My wife has a girlfriend that is a daughter of one of the original "Black Sheep". Over the years, I have been able to tour several of the Military Air Museums in the US.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #2563 on: Today at 12:21:45 PM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2563 on: January 28, 2015, 01:12:15 PM »
The Great Marianas Turkey shoot was a good example of the superiority of the Amarican pilots over the Japanese pilots in the latter stages of the War. After the Battle of Midway, the Japanese Naval aviation ceased to be much of a factor.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2564 on: January 28, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »
Hard to fly like an eagle when you're swimming with the fishes. The cream of Japan's aviators went down with those four carriers at Midway.The rest got ground up at Guadalcanal. After that, their carriers aviators were hardly trained like ours were. By the Turkey shoot, they were basically sitting ducks ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2565 on: January 28, 2015, 02:59:35 PM »
Hard to fly like an eagle when you're swimming with the fishes. The cream of Japan's aviators went down with those four carriers at Midway.The rest got ground up at Guadalcanal. After that, their carriers aviators were hardly trained like ours were. By the Turkey shoot, they were basically sitting ducks ::)

Yeah, I don't recall precisely but it seems to me that the rigid Japanese training program was like 2-3 years and they had no concept of rotating skilled pilots back to training positions unless the guy was shot to hell.  The US had a decent ace, they made him a trainer.  We had the numbers, and more importantly, a fluid way of thinking that was far more practical. 

I was always intrigued by Lindbergh's teaching of the P-38 pilots in long range flying so they could shoot down Yamamato. 
- Cole Younger

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2566 on: January 29, 2015, 05:43:23 AM »
There are rumors that he did actually fly some ops while doing it. Some say he actually shot one down ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2567 on: January 30, 2015, 02:28:03 AM »
Lindbergh was a controversial man in his later years. "The Spirit of St. Louis" is one of my favorite movies. Lindbergh was truly "The Lone Eagle".

Offline Lord Eoin MacKenzie

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2568 on: November 24, 2020, 08:01:44 AM »
  I got to fly in a Navy DC-3 Goony bird assigned to Midway Island in the middle 1970s.  It was a beat up bird from hitting the local Goony birds.  Dents in the nose and leading edges of the wings.   They flew it to Hawaii, etc.  Noisy old bitch, but still working.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com