Author Topic: Starline 56-50 brass on sale...  (Read 6800 times)

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Starline 56-50 brass on sale...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 07:44:12 PM »
Hello, Tex:

Short answer involves STARLINE creating their case primarily for Armisport/Chiappa models with the Lane extractor.  That case usually has a nominal rim OD of .630" compared to the original rimfire case rim nominal OD of .650".  The 1860 ORIGINAL has the BLADE extractor.

If STARLINE is used in original 1860's, the blade may ride over the smaller rim diameter during ejection. 
Many here report STARLINE fine in original 1860's with minor extraction issues. 

The "Spencer Often Requested Info" (SORI) section above will help you.  Good idea to read it.  Lots lessons there.

Regards,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 11:39:28 AM »
You can use the Starline 56-50 brass in an original with no problems if you bump up the bas a little. This can be accomplished by using a washer with a hole slightly larger than the case diameter and squashing the base slightly in a vice. The cartridges I receive with my first Spencer were modified like this by the previous owner. I have used these cases in all of my Spencer's and never had an extraction problem. I've fired these cases 40+ times each and only lost two to loading accidents when I was learning how to use my press.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:53:26 PM »

Offline 1911tex

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 02:40:32 PM »
THANK YOU FOLKS...terrific forum!

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »
Now THAT's fascinating, MGM:

That is another example of why THIS forum is so worthwhile.

Have to ask if that seat-of-the-pants fellow is around.  Bet he's figured out lots of ingenious ways to adapt things!
That one is worth a case of beer.

Just so I understand, it seems that the process involves pressing the washer on one side of the jaws and case RIM a bit wider with the other jaw to increase/swage the RIM diameter larger.  Correct, please?

If so, what did the STARLINE rims become?  Tx.

Sure beats adapting 50-70 brass or using custom cases.

All the best,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 08:35:11 AM »
Kevin,
  Unfortunately he is no longer around. Your description of the method is correct. I'll have to measure the cases when I get home this afternoon.
   Mike.

Offline Dave Fox

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
In the "for what it's worth" department, Starline works slick in my 56-.50 m.1865 carbine.

Offline 1911tex

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 12:23:30 PM »
Dave thank you for your answer; no problem with the blade extractor pushing out the empties? 

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 05:42:21 PM »
Here are the pictures Kevin.
  The rim size on the 56-50 cases has been bumped up to .645 ish inch. The Starline 50-70 rims are about .635 inch.
  I don't know how many times the 56-50 cartridges were fires by the original owner , but I have fired them 40+ times using 8.5 to 9.5gr of Unique and a few times with 3f black powder. Never any sights of case damage even on guns with the sliver of barrel missing where the extractor cutout was made. I only neck size just enough for the bullet not to fall into the case. I do apply a fairly heaven crimp though.
 I would suspect that for black powder use the 56-50 cartridges would be better as you can get more powder in them as the base of the 50-70 cartridges are choked down.
  I had my heavy rifle out at a shoot last month were we were shooting the NRA lever action silhouette setup. 40 rounds in 5 shot stages. I'm a bench rest shooter normally, but did manage third not that that's saying much. Anyway that was the most rounds I have fired from the magazine. I was surprised that I didn't have to force the lever at all. Loading was smooth and effortless even holding the rifle level. Absolutely no hang ups at all.
 Mike

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 04:28:54 PM »
Thanks, MGM:

Big help for us. 
Have to note the visibly thinner rim on the altered case and wonder if that changes accuracy, please?
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline mgmradio

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 08:22:57 AM »
Kevin,
  The thinner cases are the 56-50 cases. There is no difference in accuracy between the two. For Black Powder shooters the capacity would be greater by a few grains on them though.
  Mike

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »
Hello:

My measurements of the rim THICKNESS (not diameter) of a limited number of STARLINE 56-50 case lots indicates a range of .0570" - .0685". 

The thickness of my RMC's and modified 50-70's are nominally .067".

If this is still so, then selecting the thicker STARLINES  would help preserve rim thickness. 

Regards,
El Supremo/Kevin Tinny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com