Author Topic: Help me with my conversion education  (Read 2366 times)

Offline HANCOCK

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help me with my conversion education
« on: May 20, 2006, 10:28:19 PM »
My knowledge of Colt Conversions so far is limited to reading cowboy type forums, and the book "Metalic Cartridge Conversions" by Dennis Adler. This is a great book , with wonderful photography , as you guys probably already know. But the question that I have about this book is , about the 2 Colt conversions on the cover. (and also inside on page 156). The text describes them as Richard-Mason conversions, but my understanding from reading in the book , is that a Richard-Mason conversion on the 1860 Army would have a "solid lug " barrel rather than the original "s" curve barrel like in the picture.
My understanding from the reading , is that the pictured  1860 would actually be a type 2 conversion since it has that barrel , and a conversion ring without a sight, but with the sight on the hammer.
Please set me straight.

Thanks in advance
HANCOCK

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: Help me with my conversion education
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 09:24:56 PM »
The 1860 as pictured would be called a Richards Second Model.  You are correct in your evaluation.

The term Richard-Mason was used by the manufactures/suppliers years ago because the conversions as produced where not totally authentic and used different "manufacturing tricks" to get to the end product.  If you study enough pictures of originals and the repros you will understand my meaning.  Turn to page 158 look at slot cut in ejector housing.  Cut through the bottom edge, not original and threads show at the end.  Note no rebate on cylinder and Richards style recoil pad/gate and it is a .38 on a '61 but not True R-M conversion of 1861.  The one on page 156 is correct for conversion of '62 pocket to .38 by the R-M technique.

Those guns by Millington on page 156 are accurate conversions.  He does great work.

PS.  Not an expert but have studied conversion for ~25 years.  Shows and books and some private.  Hope this helps
Black River Smith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com