Author Topic: ASM 60 Conversion Grips?  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Goody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ASM 60 Conversion Grips?
« on: June 12, 2006, 08:49:13 AM »
Picked up a pair of 38sp 1860 conversions made by ASM a couple of weeks ago. They of course have Army grip frames, but I can't seem to find anyone who lists grips specifically for the ASM. I put Navy frames off a couple of 51 BP's I had laying around, but they seem real nose heavy, even though the previous owner had chopped them down to 5 1/2. Unfortunately he also narrowed the grip panels to where there is not much left, so I need some replacemnets. Has anyone bought grips that didn't need a lot of fitting to go on these? If so where did they come from?

Thanks

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 45
Re: ASM 60 Conversion Grips?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 09:24:53 AM »
Check www.gripmaker.com and talk to Larry Little.
Regards Bootsie
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 05:24:43 PM »
They are nose heavy due to the extra steel ( difference in the bore 38 vs 44 )
Armi San Marco's owner , was a son in law to Aldo Uberti... and some Uberti parts back then were on his shelves.

I ..myself, prefer the Army grips....
I have USPFA made 60 Army conversion in 38, It is according to USFA a circa 1993 Shot Show prototype.
I also have two 2nd Gen. Colt 1860 BP. The USPFA is I suspect, as the 2nd Gen's are , of Uberti origin.

I've owned one of these 60's almost 30 years, and it just went through transformation with an R&D Cyl. and Ivory content grips.
Being of Uberti origin, I opted to try the one piece kit grip for the Uberti.
They fit ...the Left perfectly, the Right just a smidgen small at the fore to aft, but not enough to worry about....

ALL that, just to say try grips to fit a Uberti....  Pietta will be to short top to bottom.
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:32:28 PM »

Offline Goody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 10:35:58 AM »
Thanks Major, I was gonna try that eventually if I couldn't find purpose made ones for ASM. I have 3 or 4 60's made by Uberti, and 2 each ASM and Pietta.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 427
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 06:49:15 PM »
I well understand 1860'itis

Aside form the mentioned 2nd Gen's &  USPFA Richards & Mason, I have two originals 1860's, a fluted Uberti , and a 72 Opentop Army grip of course... and a Type II on order ( expected in Aug. )

I've had several other Uberti's ( one of which when in trade for the USPFA ) ,only one ASM, never had a Pietta Army though.

To me, they are the epitome of the revolver evolution art , and handle the best for me....
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com