Author Topic: Did I break my '51 Navy conversion?  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Will Sellit

• NCOWS Member
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Did I break my '51 Navy conversion?
« on: May 18, 2006, 08:19:26 AM »
I received my '51 Colt 2nd generation Colt R&D conversion that I bought from an indiviidual yesterday. After shooting a few rounds through it I removed the barrel and cylinder to clean it and when I tried to put the cylinder back on the bolt was up and I could not of course get the cylinder back on. I do not remember now if it was at full cock or not but anyway I got the bolt down and assembled it, but now the bolt will not rise.
What the heck did I do to it and is there something simple that needs to be done to correct this.
Something else I noticed when shooting it. I loaded 5 rounds and was checking for accuracy and lost count of how many I shot and when I dry fired it on the empty chamber the firing pin stuck in the forward position and I had to use a thin knife blade to push it back. Is this normal or should the pin be looser than that?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Did I break my '51 Navy conversion?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 09:47:23 AM »
Sounds like ya' mighta forced the bolt spring when re-assembling it, Pard.  It might have broken or gotten your pistol out of timing with the cylinder...you'll havta disassemble it complete to know for sure.  The firing pin staying out on your dry fire sounds as if the internal sping is broken and won't "retract" the firing pin in your R& D.  Without a little  more info or some pics - I'm afraid that's all the help I can be.

I would highly suggest you take it to your gunsmith and have 'em check it out.

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 08:22:58 AM »
If the bolt won't come back up there's only a couple things it could be. The bolt/trigger spring bokr, not uncommon. Or the trigger sear(top) or hammer notch is worn or broken. Bolt legs may have slipped past the cam on the hammer or the right leg broke. All easy to check or replace. Just take it down and have a look.
Best a luck! Hope this helped.
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:13:30 AM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 04:52:25 PM »
FWIW:  The documentation that came with my R&D Richards Conversion stated:

"DO NOT DISASSEMBLE FIREARM, other than the barrel and cylinder.  If you pull the hand out of the bottom of the frirearm, you will collapse the hand spring, which will make the firearm inoperative.  If you feel you must clean the inside of he action, we suggest you do not completely disassemble the firearm."

Go figure..... ;)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Smokin Gun

• "I Smoke Black Powder!"/ "Prefer an 1858 Remington"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Preferred Shootin' Iron 1858 Rem
    • Black Powder Revolver Forum
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 11:25:41 PM »
My '51 Navy Uberti hand spring broke, decrimped it from the hand made a new one from shim stock. crimped it best I could and soldered it in. Works great, keeps a clickin' and keeps on tickin'...
Mosby's Rangers
43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
SASS# 19634
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com