CAS TOPICS > Gunsmithing

Change front sight on Colt 1860 Army

(1/2) > >>

ROAnutz:
I'm looking for a Gunsmith to change the front sight on my Colt 1860 Army. The one it has is so low, 1/10th of an in off the barrel, as to not only be invisible but to put its point of aim somewhere near the orbit of Mars.

I have another brass front sight from a Uberti 1872 Open Top that is about the same profile but is about twice as tall, about 0.20 off the barrel. The problem is, I can't get anyone to install it. I have watched the videos about doing it yourself and that is not for me. I'd rather pay someone than take the chance.

willy:
Had the same problem with a 51 navy,, used a dremel to lower the ears on the hammer,,also made the rear sight picture square,,and filed the sides of the cone front sight giving me a sighr picture of a square post and square notch rear sight,,It took a bit of time of shooting and tweaking the sight to get it to shoot to point of aim,,But now it has taken the place of my S&w model 17 for my small game handgun.

kwilliams1876:
You can have a dovetail sight installed, many originals seem to have this alteration.
kw

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:) Hey Anutz  ;)

It certainly sounds like you have a typical Uberti 1860.  Front sight almost as tall as a dead flea.  Unfortunately, I'm retired.  HOWEVER:

I would recommend you contact 45 Dragoon (Mike Bracket) at Goons's Gunworks.  It is actually a simple job and you may only need to send him the Barrel.

45 Dragoon:

--- Quote from: Coffinmaker on March 08, 2024, 07:30:28 AM --- :) Hey Anutz  ;)

It certainly sounds like you have a typical Uberti 1860.  Front sight almost as tall as a dead flea.  Unfortunately, I'm retired.  HOWEVER:

I would recommend you contact 45 Dragoon (Mike Bracket) at Goons's Gunworks.  It is actually a simple job and you may only need to send him the Barrel.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Mike !  I just today finally got to test newly installed front sights on both my '60's  in 45acp. I replaced them with '72 Open-top front sights  and they both now shoot to point of aim. 

ROAnutz, I'd be happy to help you out, PM me a phone number and a good time to call.

Thuther Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version