CAS TOPICS > CAS FAQ

Out of the box CAS guns - not good enough?

<< < (10/11) > >>

maarty:
Shoot them out of the box, no slicking or short stroking.

They didn't do it in the old days so we shouldn't either. I love hearing people talking about short stroking their rifles and saying "If they could have done it back then they would have" my reply is always "Well hell, mount a laser on there as well cause if they could have done that they would have"

Two-Step:
Does steak sauce make a steak good or does it cover the inadequacies of the chef and taste of poorly prepared meat?
You can sprinkle powdered sugar on a turd and call it a donut. But, at the end of the day it is still a POS.
To a point, modifications can make any gun better. But no amount of customizing will make a crap gun great.

I am not in the business of promoting certain brand names but I will tell you that some manufacturers are better than others. I also know that just because a gun is more expensive than others, does not make it better. In some cases, the high price one pays is for the name of the manufacturer on the gun, not for the quality of the gun.

In general, Rugers are thought by many, to be the best all around 6-shooter to have. But, as good as they may be, you will quickly notice that there are plenty of ways to improve them.... which is true for any gun, no matter who's name is stamped on it.
Is it good enough? Yes.
Could it be better? Yes

rickk:
The New Vaqueros are the best Ruger SA ever made. I have quite a few Rugers, and while they are all good, they all tolerated a bit of polishing and spring changing here and there to make them better.

I bought a couple of New Vaqueros last year. Having been down this road with Ruger SA's before, I was all set to slick them up. All the normal places that can stand some help were already helped by the factory. I didn't mess with them, I just started shooting them.

Shotgun, I got a couple of Double Trigger Stoeger Supreme coach guns (S.S. receivers). I polished the chambers and put in aftermarket firing pins (never had a trouble with the original pins however).  The reason I have two of them is sort of a long story. I would suggest that unless you do your research first, stick with the double trigger.  I also replaced the factory screw-in chokes with a set of aftermarket stainless I.C. chokes so that both barrels would pattern the same.

Rifle, wanted a .45 to match the revolvers. I looked for a Rossi 92... couldn't find one (long back order at the time). I looked for a Marlin in 45..couldn't find one. Factory told me they dropped that caliber when they moved out of CT.  Wound up with an HRA Big Boy.  I had some feeding issues with it that the factory fixed no charge, no grief. It works flawlessly now and I didn't have to pay anything to slick it up.

So, the only one I spent any after-out-of-the-box money on was the shotgun - maybe $200 in parts and  the chamber hone to do two shotguns.  No gunsmith need to do any of the work... it is all pretty simple.

Rick

Advertising:

Griff:
Forgive me, but I'm sure you meant to say
--- Quote from: rickk on February 22, 2012, 10:18:14 AM ---The New Vaqueros are the best Ruger SA ever made....
Rick
--- End quote ---
Except for the 3-screw Blackhawks!  ;D ;D ;D

Daniel Nighteyes:

--- Quote from: cpt dan blodgett on December 15, 2011, 03:29:53 PM ---I was able to polish my [SxS shotgun] chambers enough that the shells now shuck easily makes no difference if slick sided Win AA or Ribbed Federals.   Used a long cleaning jag and about 3 inch wide swath of green scotch bright pad bought in packets from Sams or Walmart (cut across short axis)  Chucked it up in my drill press, was difficult to get into chambers intially.  Turned on the drill press and raised and lowered the barrels slowly until they got warm.  Shut off drill press and changed to other barrel.  Repeated process numerous times.  Periodically reassembled shotgun and checked shucking with fired shells.  Chambers start to get pretty shiney.  Quit when I thought it was ok.

Fired a match and found still did not shuck reliably but much better than before.

Cleaned gun and honed somemore.  Ended up doing about 30 - 45 seconds per barrel with a little headlight renewal polishing compound.  Work great now.
--- End quote ---

Something that worked for me on a brand-new SxS that already had halfway decent chambers -- an oversized bore mop chucked into an electric drill using the end of an old cleaning rod.  Liberally coat the bore mop with Colgate Toothpaste (the old fashioned, plain-white kind).

Turn on the drill motor, work the bore mop repeatedly up and down the chamber.  Alternate chambers.  Remove. Clean out all the toothpaste and oil the shotgun appropriately.  Shoot a match.

For me, one application was enough to make the chambers able to shuck out the empties slicker'n -- um -- never mind.  I repeat it every now and then, just to keep the naturally-forming residue under some kind of control.

Plain ol' Colgate Toothpaste is just about the finest cleaning/rubbing/honing compound there is, and heck knows its cheap enough...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version