Author Topic: GAF, sort of.. US Army Model of 1917 S&W .45ACP  (Read 717 times)

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
GAF, sort of.. US Army Model of 1917 S&W .45ACP
« on: August 18, 2022, 01:04:00 PM »
Still working part time at a local gun shop and a decent S&W 1917 .45 ACP came in.  Original, except missing lanyard ring (though a friend has an original for me).  The finish is 50% is or better, and the timing is dead nuts on. Probably not shot much as the bore is bright and rifling is crisp.

It has the US property markings on the bottom of the grip frame, and it has the smooth walnut grips, one of which has a well worn WW2 Civil Defense emblem on it.  That is intriguing, as 1917s were drawn from storage to be re-issued, especially at home, in WW II.

I'll post pics of it the next time I go to work, though I did take a picture of the grip with the  the Civil Defense logo when I had the grip off,  as I have the revolver stripped down and giving it a thorough cleaning.

I did some research.  During WW2, some US Police Departments had Civil Defense Auxiliary Police. (see attached badges). This was because of concerns about saboteurs and sabotage.  Possibly this revolver might have been used by one of these department's CD auxiliary police.

I have read somewhere that during WW II, some 1917s were issued to Defense plant guards, as well a CONUS Military Police.  I think it is a reasonable assumption that they were also issued to the CD Auxiliary Police.  The Federal Government would issue what was available in stores, leaving production for front line weapons.

This from an article that cited Ian Hogg and Bruce Canfield:

"...most of the revolvers were re-issued to stateside security forces and military policemen, but 20,993 of them were issued overseas to "specialty troops such as tankers and artillery personnel" throughout the course of U.S. involvement in lWorld War II." 

I would think the Civil Defense Auxiliary Police would be included in those security forces.

This makes me fairly certain that this was my 1917's last duty assignment.

Here's the pistol: 

Note that the grip is slightly smaller grip.  I went to work today and stuck the grips back on. I did not notice before that the CD grip Is slightly undersized. It is not as small as a 38 Victory model because I checked it against the right side panel of a couple Victory models grips. Seems to be half way in between the two. The left side grip with a rack number fits perfectly. Pics to come.   

It seems probably that the grip is a replacement at some point. Whether is was done at arsenal, arms room, or user, is impossible to say. I bought the gun, though, not the story!  It is still a cool piece of history.

Bottom and serial number:

Barrel Markings

The other left hand panel with rack number:  Better fit:

It will be a shooter, but I am making an nice grouping around it.  I already load .45 ACP for my 1911A1, and I have full and half moon clips,    Here's pics of the 1909 holster for the 1917  I got.  It is missing the plug in the end (at least IIRC, the 1909 has a plug), but it is actually pretty decent for $90.  It will go well with the original 1912 Mills belt I got.  Someday, I'll replace the repop lanyard and ammo pouch I also have, with originals.

TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: GAF, sort of.. US Army Model of 1917 S&W .45ACP
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2022, 03:05:38 PM »
The New Service was introduced in 1898, and thus is a GAF legal sidearm when paired with an appropriate rifle. Use Auto rim brass for the Victorian match.  Clips ok for era of expansion.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Tuolumne Lawman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Grass Valley, CA in the Sierra Nevada Mountains
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2022, 07:20:14 PM »
I have to say, second only to my Anderson Custom 1860 .44 Colt conversions, the 1917 is the coolest revolver I own.  The "full moon" clips I have make it as fast to reload as an auto loader!  Not as correct as half moon, but really slick.  Interestingly enough, In my research I found drawings of a WW I period full moon clip.
TUOLUMNE LAWMAN
CO. F, 12th Illinois Cavalry  SASS # 6127 Life * Spencer Shooting Society #43 * Motherlode Shootist Society #1 * River City Regulators

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:20:37 PM »

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 08:44:17 PM »
Whoops!  I have Colt on the brain, 1st saw this on my phone.  The S&W N frame dates to 1908, thus cannot be used for the Victorian match, but can be used in the Era of Expansion GAF match.

Patents for full moon clips go back well before WW!.  A full moon clip was first proposed to the US Army, but they decided on the half moon clips as they carry easier in the issue web gear.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 09:17:38 PM »
I've been following TL posts on the S&W Forum and we've PM'ed back in forth.

I posted mine before, here it tiz again... these are so cool to shoot.
I roll my own 45 ACP reloads and for my Webley I have Auto Rims.

I picked up a "Man the Line" holster because 'original' sellers were well north of $100, and the conditions were eh !  :-\
Course I had to give the holster a bit of age, to look right.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2022, 12:16:58 AM »
Few years back I scored a pretty nice Brazilian S&W 1917  45 DA. I like mine yours is very nice.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 01:07:38 AM »
Cpt., Brazilian contract 1917/1937's are very cool in their own right.  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com