Author Topic: WOWZERS !!!  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
WOWZERS !!!
« on: July 21, 2022, 08:04:13 AM »

:)  Fellow Conversion Addicts  ;)

I just learned (Tuesday) of a new and SUPER interesting development at/bye/for Kirst Konverter.

Being one of the Loons who persist in building Conversions, I was particularly excited to learn Walt Kirst has now included/released a Pietta 1860 cylinder chambered 45 ACP!!!  Horray and Jallalula!!  Absolutely gonna be the Beez Kneez.

For those of us who shoot our conversions in 45 flavor, we will have another available cartridge to choose from AND, the ACP chambering should be quite compatible with Cowboy 45 Special cartridges AND eliminating the long jump from case mouth to throat in a 45 Colt cylinder.  WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!  I have two coming my way as I prepare this missive.

People are Contagious.  Avoid 'em

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: WOWZERS !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 08:47:32 AM »
He has them for Uberti 1860s as well as Pietta and Uberti Remingtons, too. Yes, it's nice to see options when ordering. I look forward to hearing how you like them. Especially if you can use them with the C45S cases. I'd think the head spacing might be a might tight on those unless Walt has accounted for that.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 09:11:24 AM »
I'm not a gun mechanic so forgive what may be ignorance on my part. How does a cylinder chambered for a rimless cartridge (45 ACP) handle a rimmed cartridge like the 45 Cowboy thingee? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dave

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:16:26 PM »

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 09:30:34 AM »
  Yes!! These will be a very nice addition to the Kirst line of products. 
These new 45acp cyls work very well, so far I've sent 100 rounds down range with half being factory 230gr.FMJ and half being 230gr.LRN reloads.
I was privileged to test these new cylinders for Walt and they do not disappoint!!!

Since I've not shot any of the "cowboy 45 specials", it'll be interesting to see if they will work as well. I'm sure Mike .  . I mean the C.M. will give us a report!!

Mike (thuther one!!)
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 09:32:18 AM »
Not being an expert on this, I would think that the extractor rim on the APC case could be left sticking out far enough without any problems. If that's the situation, there may be enough space for a rimmed cartridge. The original M1917 Colt pistols were made for the case to stick up enough for the retainer clips to have space. That allows enough room for a rimmed case to be used. I have tried C45S cartridges in an M1917 and they work fine.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »
Oh, the 45acp cyls are 5 shot and spacing is the same as for 45C. The chambers are just like other acp SA cyls.  The 45acp headspaces on the case mouth (just like in a semi) so there's room for the 45special rims. I'm just not sure if there's room for the crimp to unroll for the "specials ".

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 02:49:00 PM »
Oh, the 45acp cyls are 5 shot and spacing is the same as for 45C. The chambers are just like other acp SA cyls.  The 45acp headspaces on the case mouth (just like in a semi) so there's room for the 45special rims. I'm just not sure if there's room for the crimp to unroll for the "specials ".

Mike
Since the case length on the C45S is the same as a 45 ACP, there shouldn't be any problems. You can crimp them with either a 45 ACP closing die or a modified 45 colt closing die.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 03:46:07 PM »
Since the case length on the C45S is the same as a 45 ACP, there shouldn't be any problems. You can crimp them with either a 45 ACP closing die or a modified 45 colt closing die.

All the more gooder!!!  Always good to have options!!

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2022, 04:36:22 PM »
All the more gooder!!!  Always good to have options!!

Mike
You bet! Basically the C45S is like a 45 Auto Rim but with a 45 Colt rim on it. Oh, yeah, you can also use the 45 Auto Rim roll crimp die.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2022, 07:51:41 PM »

:)  All Right All Ready !!!! ;)

My Brandy Knew Two Me Kirst Pietta 1860 45 ACP cylinders arrived on the afternoon Stage.  Straight to the work bench.  OK, Not been to the range.  However > > > >
The Cowboy 45 Special drops in and Head Spaces Perfectly.  There is room for the crimp to open as well so looks to be a Win-Win.

Dave T  ;)

45 ACP head spaces on the case mouth, which is NOT roll crimped.  Taper Crimp only allowing the round to Head Space.  In a Cylinder, the chamber is cut in such a manner, the case rim sits a bit proud of cylinder breach face, or about where a rimmed cartridge sits when head spacing on the rim.  With this new cylinder from Walt Kirst, one had the option to run 45 ACP cases or C45S cases.  Win-Win.  The cylinder will also run 45 Squirt cartridges but that is another thread.  But does make it a Win-Win-Win.

Da Other Mike

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2022, 07:56:00 PM »
That's great news CM!!
I'll have to look into some new brass !!!

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline cheatin charlie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2022, 06:20:13 AM »
With the head of the ACP sitting proud of the cylinder that makes it easy to see if the hammer is down on an empty chamber at the loading table.  So that makes it win,win,win,win.  ;D

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2022, 06:41:09 AM »

:)  ABSOLUTELY  ;)

Stolen famous movie line  ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com