CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Heeled Bullets - please don't call me lazy...

(1/3) > >>

Snake Oil:
I have done some quick searching and have found a lot of different threads, but all are lacking a couple pieces I would like to see in simplicity...

I am looking to do 38 long colt heeled bullets... aiming for more period correct... I have an s&w 1899 in 38 military and two 1858 with Taylors conversion cylinders...

I have a hollow based mold from mp molds... outstanding mold, touchy and cull rate is unfavorable.  I am loading those up currently to test, but am finding I may not be very successful.

I have found Old West Bullet Molds
(https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop/ols/products/38-colt-mould-and-crimp-die-set)
I saw on another thread liquid alox as a lube option.

I'm curious if you get a conical mold and pan lube and then seat the bullet and then resize the whole case similar to the process listed by duelist1954 on YouTube would that crimp the brass into the lead and then give you an internal lubed bullet.  Is this an oversimplification or am I overthinking this?  I have read several threads that all seem to state the same thing over and over, so the lazy side of me came out to see if someone would respond to my query.

If this method works, then a cheap lee conical die is way cheaper than a custom mold.

Thoughts and help please!

Drydock:
Leave heeled bullet unlubed.  Size, prime, powder, seat bullet, then crimp with OWBM crimp die.  Then dip the bullet into a pan of melted lube.  That's it.  I use straight paraffin wax for heeled bullets.

I think you are mixing up two different processes.  Hollowbase bullets are lubed and loaded conventionally.  Heeled bullets are loaded and lubed as above.

You cannot use a sizing die to "Crimp" the bullet.  It will swage down the bullet inside the case and leave it loose.

This video? 

Drydock:
I use Accurate for most of my molds, with this being my go to .38 Heeled bullet https://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=38-120C

But Accurate has a number of heeled designs.  A bit less pricy than OWBM, though you do need his crimp die! (I have 2 of  them, for 38s, and .44s) 

Advertising:

Snake Oil:
Drydock to the rescue!!  Thank you sir!!

I had not found anything on the lubing of bullets and was not looking forward to lead issues, so thank you!! 

I had perused accurate earlier today... I will look at that mold again!  Mr. Bellevue has put out several videos, that is the third one I found today on heeled bullets... I sure appreciate officianados putting their knowledge out there, including yours Drydock!

AntiqueSledMan:
Hello Snake Oil,

I've been loading all my Cartridge Conversions with Black MX and non-lubed bullets.
Of course Black MZ is no longer available, but it's basically the same as American Pioneer Powder.
Also Shooters World has a product called Multi Purpose Black which is the same stuff.

AntiqueSledMan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version