CAS TOPICS > Gun Reviews

Uberti 1873 El Patrons with black powder?

<< < (2/2)

Coffinmaker:

:)  Well Schucks  ;)

Gosh Abilene, for the most part, a 3rd Gen Colt, and Ruger, and "others" without a special shaped and removable cylinder bushing suffer from fouling.  The little nub doesn't direct gasses away from the gap.  Ruger will even respond to complaints with "our guns aren't designed for BP."

Those guns require a bundle of lube and attention to run consistently with BP and Subs.  Of course, there is no blanket "They Will" or "They Won't."  Always exceptions.

Play Safe Out There

Dave T:

--- Quote from: Coffinmaker on January 12, 2022, 09:34:40 AM ---The little nub doesn't direct gasses away from the gap.
--- End quote ---

The man who makes wood boxes shaped like people has hit the nail on the flat part!

I've wanted to try a Model #3 Schofield S&W for a number of years but had always heard the Italian import Schofields, chambered for the 45 Colt rather than the more correct 45 S&W, did not play well with black powder.  Believing S&W's propaganda about the 2000 Model Schofield being an "exact reproduction" I eventually bought one those more expensive recreations.

Just as Coffinmaker said, S&W's little nub which replaced the actual bushing the original's had, didn't play well with BP either.  My copy was so bad, even with Big Lube bullets it would not fire more than 4 rounds, and the cylinder had to be turned by hand to get the 4th chamber in alignment.  It wouldn't budge for the 5th round.

The solution (other than selling it) was to use my last can of Black MZ substitute which got me through 25 rounds without cleaning.  I'm told the Black MZ is nothing more than APP so if the Schofield is still around when this stuff runs out I will seek out a can of American Pioneer Powder.

Bottom line is a properly, traditionally designed cylinder bushing is almost a necessity for shooting black powder.

Dave

Roosterman:

--- Quote from: Dave T on April 13, 2022, 01:08:14 PM ---The man who makes wood boxes shaped like people has hit the nail on the flat part!

I've wanted to try a Model #3 Schofield S&W for a number of years but had always heard the Italian import Schofields, chambered for the 45 Colt rather than the more correct 45 S&W, did not play well with black powder.  Believing S&W's propaganda about the 2000 Model Schofield being an "exact reproduction" I eventually bought one those more expensive recreations.

Just as Coffinmaker said, S&W's little nub which replaced the actual bushing the original's had, didn't play well with BP either.  My copy was so bad, even with Big Lube bullets it would not fire more than 4 rounds, and the cylinder had to be turned by hand to get the 4th chamber in alignment.  It wouldn't budge for the 5th round.

The solution (other than selling it) was to use my last can of Black MZ substitute which got me through 25 rounds without cleaning.  I'm told the Black MZ is nothing more than APP so if the Schofield is still around when this stuff runs out I will seek out a can of American Pioneer Powder.

Bottom line is a properly, traditionally designed cylinder bushing is almost a necessity for shooting black powder.

Dave

--- End quote ---
I shoot Uberti S&W's with black powder with no problem. I just smear some crisco or wonder lube over the cylinder mouths just like a percussion revolver. Keeps everything sloppy and you can shoot all day.

Advertising:

2TM101:

--- Quote from: Coffinmaker on January 11, 2022, 08:38:40 AM --- :)  Oh for Pete's sake   :(

Not to be crass and judgmental Deacon (Oh ok, yes I am), but why do some folks keep calling it "The Holy Black??"  there is nothing "Holy" about the stuff.  Just Explosive.  Heck, it can even be made with pee.  It's just Gun Powder.
--- End quote ---

I make mine with gardening supplies And toilet paper.  Ans it works fine in my Uberti Cattleman 2 as long as I am using the .357 cylinder. even if I am putting short colt in it.  Mine is a conversion model and the 9mm cylinder does not seem to want to chamber reloads regardless of how I make them up, but the black powder is not an issue.

Oregon Bill:
"Gardening supplies and toilet paper."  :D
I've been hearing about the TP-based charcoal and it apparently works extremely well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version