Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Cas City Historical Society

Gemmer Modified Rifles

(1/5) > >>

Dave T:
Years ago (1980s) I had a "Gemmer Sharps" in 45-70 chambering.  I liked the gun but had endless problems with the springs in the action breaking.  This was back in the days when the Italian repro gun makers hadn't quite mastered spring tempering.  Gave it up when I got an original Rolling Block to restore.

Anyway, I've always like the "Gemmer" look to modified/customized BP cartridge guns.  I've seen actual photos of 1874 Sharps and No 1 Rolling Blocks so modified.  When I tried to find some more info on Gemmer and his guns I came up with this article:

https://www.gemmermuzzleloadingclub.com/john-phillip-gemmer/

Has anyone here ever seen a book on Gemmer and his taking over the Hawken Shop?  Also, anyone know of a custom gunsmith doing "Gemmer Style" modifications to rifles?

Dave

Coffinmaker:

:)  Hi Dave  :D

Actually . . . NO help.  Just carousing along being a nuisance.

Play Safe Out There

Reverend P. Babcock Chase:
Howdy Dave,

No Problem. Just take the forend and buttstock off a real St. Louis Hawken and stick them on your Sharps or RB. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the under barrel rib, Ramrod and ferrules. You're good to go, sort of.

Rev. Chase

Advertising:

Dave T:
Coffin,

Speakin' of playin' it safe,  rambling is generally safer than carousing.  Just sayin'!  (smile)

Reverend,

If I could do any of that stuff...I wouldn't be looking for a gunsmith!  LOL

Dave

Baltimore Ed:
I’ve always thought that the Gemmer breachloading rifles were beautiful too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version