Author Topic: Considering a Walker Revolver project  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Considering a Walker Revolver project
« on: March 04, 2021, 10:28:51 AM »
In "Firearms of the American West: 1803-1865" by Garavaglia & Worman, it talks about the Walker revolvers the Texas Rangers used during the Mexican-American War.  At the end of the conflict, many Walkers had damaged cylinders and barrels.  A number were seen with barrels shortened to half their original length.  I'm considering doing that to a Walker replica.  It fits our timeframe, and fits as I live in Texas!  I think it would make an interesting revolver to both own and shoot!
It would look something like this:

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Considering a Walker Revolver project
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2021, 01:22:31 PM »
If You are going for an authentic finish You should consider removing the blueing from the cylinder, as they were supplied "in the white". 
The old school charcoal blue typically applied to Uberti Walkers will usually come off with a good hot water boiling or a quick dip in a solution of water and citric acid...
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2021, 02:34:29 PM »
Already knew that, Captain!  In fact, I have done just that to two previous Walkers I have owned over the years.  Thanks for the input!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:30:50 PM »

Offline rayman1

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 07:00:09 PM »
I’d be very interested to see your Walker project completed. 

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2021, 06:04:58 AM »
I made this one many years ago from an old ASM Walker. It was great fun.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2021, 07:12:52 AM »
Interesting project .

Here is one that sold at the listed price of $75,000

Colt 1847 Walker .44 caliber revolver. Made in 1847 with a 6⅝” barrel that was shortened from the original 9”. Gun is nice and sharp with a smooth brown patina on metal. The barrel and cylinder are number B Company 103 and the frame, trigger guard, and back strap are numbered to D Company 96. These are sometimes referred to as “Campfire” Walkers since these guns were mostly likely mismatched while soldiers were cleaning their guns around a campfire. The latch was replaced probably at the time of the barrel being shortened. It is original to the period of use. Grips are all original. Gun works perfectly. A very neat piece and fresh to the market. We recently purchased this gun from a California family
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2021, 08:29:14 PM »
I have a Walker with the barrel cut to 5”.  It took off a “little” weight but not enough. I will post a photo after we move.

Kevin
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com