Author Topic: Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists  (Read 50691 times)

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:40:37 AM »
Approved List-   http://www.ncows.org/approved.html

Unapproved List-   http://www.ncows.org/unapproved.html

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
Re: Links to NCOWS Approved & Unapproved Lists
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:46:20 AM »
Thanks Will!  

Here is a handy set of links to the NCOWS Approved and Not-Approved lists.  These lists detail the firearms that have been reviewed and approved or not approved by the Congress.  When in doubt, check it out.

Bob Dorian
NCOWS Judge
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline Trap

• NCOWS
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • John Torrence
  • NCOWS #: 851
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »
  One change should be made to the unapproved list. Last year a change was made to approve already approved banana-grip Webley revolvers, that do not have banana-grips. (does that make sense?)    jt
Aggressive fighting for the Right is the noblest sport the world affords. T. Roosevelt
NRA Patron/Life Member
  NCOWS #851, Senator
Proud Member of the KVC
 Hiram's Rangers, founder
GAF # 328
  TAPS #26
NAOOTB #688

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:13:31 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:15:38 PM »
Okay, Here is another is-it-approved question.

I wrote in another thread that I am enamoured of the John Bodine .45-70 Pedersoli with its double triggers.

Since double triggers were only made ona a custom one-off basis on Remingtons, would a double trigger rifle be on the approved list by NCOWS/

I already have one rifle that is not approved by NCOWS .... Would I be better , as I said on the other thread, to buy a Pedersoli that has all the bells and whistles but no double trigger rig?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »
WWE,

The double set triggers are OK.  They were available in the NCOWS period.  Go for it!
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 11:07:16 PM »
And here I was thinkin' 'bout a single trigger so that I could compete with it ...

I just didn't want to have to beg/borrow/steal a Model 73 without a stroke kit 'cause I can't use the Codymatic I already bought with the stroke kit ... and then have to beg/borrow/or steal a Buffalo Rifle on top of the '73 ...

Two rifles to buy redundants for would be too many ... LOL
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Captain John Jarrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
Gents,

My apologies on this but I need to hijack your thread for a second, as it seems the site is not working for my computer the way it should, and I know Mr. Ellis will be keeping track of this post and will know to get in touch with me:

WaddWatsonEllis,

I have replied to your post in the classifieds, please get ahold of me at johnnyshoes@netzero.com Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards, John.
Captain John Jarrett

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 03:39:09 AM »
John,

I think we are on track now .... so send me a PM if anything new pops up....

I sympathize with your computer problems ... I have always felt that there was a very good reason not to store guns coumputers, and ammo in the same room ... *G*

NCOWS #3403

Offline Thunder Rhodes

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 03:23:18 PM »
For those NCOWS members who share details for the approved and unapproved listing...

I learned yesterday that my Uberti Hombre was not NCOWS legal, but I see nothing on the unapproved list. The addition of this firearm to that listing would be quite helpful for those of us who are new to NCOWS.

1961MJS

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 06:04:48 PM »
For those NCOWS members who share details for the approved and unapproved listing...

I learned yesterday that my Uberti Hombre was not NCOWS legal, but I see nothing on the unapproved list. The addition of this firearm to that listing would be quite helpful for those of us who are new to NCOWS.

Hi

Is there any reason given as to WHY it's illegal?  I looked it up, and it looks like a plain (very plain) SAA to me.  If it's the Matt finish, then is the Chisholm illegal too?

Later

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
The matte finish is the reason.... The Hombre & the Chisholm, Just as the USFA Rodeo Matte is not approved finish.

All of these can be aged finished and be made to pass muster for NCOWS.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »
In an effort to keep things simple, NCOWS tries not to over-legislate.  When looking at a revolver and it's "not on the list", ask yourself:  did this weapon in my hand exist 1865 to 1899?  If you don't know, hit the books or post a question here.  

Did a brushed or matte or satin metallic finish exist back then?  Not that I can locate.   Gold plate, silver plate, French grey, nickel, bluing (a variety, all shiny) and 'in the white' are all documented.

Our general firearm covenant states:

No modern (post 1899) firearms will be allowed unless they are authentic reproductions of traditional firearms or very markedly resemble traditional firearms. Traditional firearms are defined as those manufactured prior to or during the era 1865-1899 and in documented use on the North American Frontier within that time period. Center-fire calibers may substitute for original rim-fire calibers in reproduction firearms. Reproduction firearms chambered in calibers not utilized in original models shall be allowed as long as such calibers are original to the period or are otherwise approved by the National Congress of Old West Shootists.

One of the important facets of NCOWS is our "look".  One of our goals at every match is to look around and not see anything that looks like the 20th (or 21st) century.

Do we scrutinize each other:  yes. (in a friendly manner & mostly amongst the established or veteran members.). The scrutiny is held to a higher standard at "big matches".  

I for one enjoy the scrutiny.  It usually evolves into a lively discussion where we all learn something new. I like that.  

And, if you think your item (matte finish in this case) should be authorized, prepare some historic documentation of your claim and approach our Authenticity Committee.  
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Thunder Rhodes

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 07:54:33 PM »
It was not just the matte finish (which I can easily remove) but the brass backstrap. That one has me puzzled.

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 09:31:50 PM »
It was not just the matte finish (which I can easily remove) but the brass backstrap. That one has me puzzled.

Colt SAA's were never produced by Colt with brass grip frames.   You see them in movies a lot, but they did not exist.  See RL Wilson's big Colt book for reference.

Colt dropped the production of brass grip backstraps before the start of the Civil War.  By the time the SAA came to be, all factory frames were iron.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:25:01 AM »

Also easily replaced  ;)
when planets align...do the deal !

1961MJS

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 02:02:28 PM »
Hi

PERSONALLY, I'd like to be able to shoot a matt gun, but I understand NCOWS traditional approach, so I'd leave it alone.  What I don't understand is why a company would bother to try and sell a a non-authentic reproduction firearm.  I guess that they're making money on them or it wouldn't be there.

Later Y'all

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Irish Dave

• Retired Marshal
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »

MIke:

I think you pretty much answered your own question -- it's always about the $$$$.
Keep in mind that "cowboy shooters" are really a small part of the overall firearms market.

And NCOWS is only a small part of that small part. Manufacturers would probably go broke if they depended on NCOWS for their sales. SASS has no such restrictions and is many times larger that we are. They represent a much bigger share of the pie than we do.

Dave Scott aka Irish Dave
NCOWS Marshal Retired
NCOWS Senator and Member 132-L
Great Lakes Freight & Mining Co.
SASS 5857-L
NRA Life

irishdave5857@aol.com

Offline Thunder Rhodes

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 06:19:27 PM »
Thanks guys for the advice. Will gladly get mine up to NCOWS rules as it will make for a fun weekend project. But for the benefit of new members learning their way, it would be helpful to include hints about issues such as mine on the lists. It could be the difference in keeping a new shooter interested in NCOWS.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 05:38:18 PM »
I have always hated all these combinations of guns, the supposedly Confederate models that never existed, etc,etc.

In the short time I've shot NCOWS I've already seen several guys buy some of these "guns that never existed" when starting to shoot and find out they are not legal. Problem is so many "actually most" gun dealers don't know themselves nor do they know the rules of various shooting groups and they will mislead customers just to sell something. Gun dealers not aware of anything but SASS and hollywood will also talk them into other models with modification that are not legal.

Always do your homework and if your not sure ask someone that knows before buying.

Generally with handguns if it has a brass frame do some homework before buying it for NCOWS use.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
I have always hated all these combinations of guns, the supposedly Confederate models that never existed, etc,etc.

In the short time I've shot NCOWS I've already seen several guys buy some of these "guns that never existed" when starting to shoot and find out they are not legal. Problem is so many "actually most" gun dealers don't know themselves nor do they know the rules of various shooting groups and they will mislead customers just to sell something. Gun dealers not aware of anything but SASS and hollywood will also talk them into other models with modification that are not legal.

Always do your homework and if your not sure ask someone that knows before buying.

Generally with handguns if it has a brass frame do some homework before buying it for NCOWS use.

So I'm guessing my replica of an 1864 CH Rigdon revolver would be allowed?  

I notice that Lightning rifles are on the approved list; but the AWAs are not specifically mentioned - yea or nay?

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com