CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

NEED COWBOY RELOADING DATA

(1/1)

warbucks16:
I am tired of the cartridge shortage and outlandish prices that they are being sold for so I am getting into reloading and find that most manuals have the data for standard loads for the .45LC and .38LC which usually exceed the cowboy load limits.

Can some one recommend a manual or manuals that deals specifically with cowboy loads for Smokeless as well as Pyrodex and Black Powder.

Thanks for any help.

Warbucks16

Dirty Brass:
Hogden has an online load data site for their subs. Accurate Arms and many others have online data for smokeless cowboy loads - do a little searching while waiting for some info. Even some of the reloading manuals list these, if you have some available. Black powder is pretty basic - fill the case minus 1/8" for compression and seat the bullet. Of course if you use over-powder cards or fillers, you would decrease your charge accordingly. I'm sure you'll get lots of info soon from the members here - just hang tight for a spell :)

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
Hodgdon used to have a special section for cowboy loads.  Until you find loads, you could try starting loads from the regular manuals. Bullseye lead bullet target loads should be pretty reliable, for one. Ask around your club.

Advertising:

Driftwood Johnson:
Howdy

Here is the Alliant powder reloading guide. Click on the words Enter The Guide at the bottom of the page and you will get a page that includes cowboy loads.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Here is the Hodgdon site. Click the I Agree button on this site, then select Cartridge Loads on the next page. Then select pistol cartridges. The starting loads listed for many cartridges are fine for cowboy action. Remember, cowboy loads do not have to be mouse farts, barely exiting the barrel. Many starting loads are just fine. Take a look at the published velocities. Cowboy loads have to be under 1000 fps for pistols and 1400 fps for rifles.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

You are correct that most manuals are not devoted to cowboy loads. My 13th edition of the Speer manual lists a few cowboy loads. I dunno if the latest lists them, but I would be surprised if it didn't. Besides, the Speer manual is an excellent manual to use when learning to load cartridges.

Singing Bear:
Since I'd started CAS in 92, I've never did know that there was a difference with standard and Cowboy loads.  My manuals all have starting loads that are lower than most members use.  Most manuals also have a separate section for 45 Colt for loads specifically to be used only in original or replica SAA revolvers.  One even has a section for 45 Colt to be used only in Rugers. 

SASS rules has a max velocity for ammo and I know our club explains to new shooters that our steel targets can only handle commercial ammo specifically for Cowboy shooting or reloaded ammo of low to moderate velocities all with lead bullets only.

I've always loaded smokeless CAS loads to just over minimum specs and Pyro or BP.......well, ya'll know how we load those.   ;)

So my confusion, what's the hoopla about specifying "Cowboy" loads?

I must apologize as I'm in a real haze right now, being in a feverish delirium from either the Swine or that other new strain going'round.  I feel like crap and may be just talking out of my a...... bellybutton.  ;D
I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking anybody.  Just curious and feeling really confused.    :(

Oh yeah, I hates this flu.  Gotta be one of the worst I've had, ever.   :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version