Special Interests - Groups & Societies > BOLD Chambers

My final shift is tomorrow..........

(1/4) > >>

Capt. Jack McQuesten:
Well fellow troopers,

Tomorrow, after 30 years of fighting crime, I am turning in my badge, hanging up the spurs and riding off into the sunset. I can tell you that it has been quite a ride! Wow, it seems like just yesterday that I did my first solo shift on patrol. Man, that S&W .357 magnum, M-28 Highway Patrolman revolver hanging off a brand spanking new Sam Browne belt sure seemed to weigh a ton!

I actually started my career in 1974 as a Police Cadet for a local City PD. It was a small agency (18 sworn, including the Chief, Captain & Sgt's). I became a Reserve Officer there in 1977 and was promoted to a full-time Officer in 1978. After a few years there on patrol, I decided that I needed to "See the world", so I left the PD and joined the Sheriff's Office. This was an agency of 200 sworn and, of course, covered the entire county and had a lot more activity for a fire-breathing, chomping at the bit, righteous young trooper.

I stayed there for the next 16 years and then transferred to the D.A.'s office. This is a day-shift, weekends and holidays off gig, which worked out great for raising the kids (the bride is a police dispatcher, so both of us on shift work was really tough!). I have been with the D.A.'s office for 12 years. For the last 8 years, I have been assigned to a multi-agency, multi-county, computer crimes Task Force as a forensic computer examiner (Basically a computer CSI type of guy).

This last week has been bittersweet for me. While I do look forward to starting a new chapter in my life, I will truly miss the guys and gals that I have had the pleasure and honor to "Ride the river" with. So to those of you who have done your time and have hung up the badge, can I ask ya to please move over a bit and allow another retired brother to sit by the fire.....to those troopers that remain on the job, keep up the good work and stay safe out there......

Arabela Kid

Top Kick Ken:
Congratulations.  Be safe tomorrow and remember that you need to get home safe at the end of your shift!  The coffee pot is still on the fire; c'mon in and sit a spell.  I am sure we can rustle up some stronger libation if the coffeee isn't what you want. 

Thank you for your service.

Top Kick Ken

SFT:
Come, warm yourself by the fire, and tell us of your life, your family, and of all the people that have called you "help" over the years.

California Lawdawg:
Congratulations on your retirement and welcome aboard Pard. Lots and lots of fine cowboys here.

Lawdawg

Texas Lawdog:
My last day has been postponed for almost 10 days due my case of shingles that won't go away. I still have the chicken pox symptoms so I'm still contagious.

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version