Author Topic: Frontier Action Shooting in Alberta  (Read 82344 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Frontier Action Shooting in Alberta
« on: December 19, 2007, 05:12:40 PM »
A "stickied" thread for Alberta club contacts, upcoming events, and such .....
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Frontier Action Shooting in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 09:37:48 AM »
Just received the 2008 schedule for the Alberta Frontier Shootists, now located at Rocky mountain House.

MATCH DATES............Start Time 9:30 am

April 19               Spring Fracas

May 10               Saddle Up

June 21              Leather Slapper

July 19                Provincial Championship

August 1 - 4        Canadian Championship

September 13     Fall Roundup / Annual General Meeting

October 18         Last Chance

November 15      Winter Range

CLINICS

May 10              RO1

July 19              RO1

August (TBA)    RO11

Directions to the range - West through Rocky on Hwy 11 to the Crimson Lake turnoff.  Left for about 1 1/2 miles, range is on the right hand side.  Dry camping available on site.

I'll post Calgary's dates when they become available.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 10:27:18 AM »
Herre are the Calgary Cowboy Shoot Dates:

Sunday April 06 @ 10am

Sunday May 04  @ 10am

Sunday June 15 @ 10am

Sunday July 13   @ 10am

Sunday Aug 24   @ 10am

Sunday Sept 21  @ 10am

;)
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:57:37 PM »

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »
AFS and associated clubs (? other clubs were not named) in Western Canada are requiriing that all members taken a ROI course.  For those not aware in order shoot at RMH and associated clubs (?) you must take a Range Safety Operations Course (ROI). Not to be confused with the RO (Range Officers Course)  I'm not sure which other clubs are associated with AFS.  However, AFS has made it almost if not impossilbe for us in Manitoba to shoot at the Canadians this year with the new course that must be taken. The course is offered in May and in the middle of Jul. That would be a 2000 Km return trip at the least in order to qualify for the shoot. Then another 2000 at the begining of Aug to the shoot. As I was planning on making the trip to Medicine Hat in May (approx 1600 Km return trip) for the Shootout At Catus Flats, I am curious if the same rules apply in Medicine Hat.  :o

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:30:57 PM »
P.S to my previous posting I have no qualms about taking the course but for us in Flin Flon the course are few and a long ways away from home!

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 08:50:09 PM »
Further to my other two posts I have though it best that I post the article that I received my information from regarding the course that may or may not have to be taken to shoot at some clubs. I say may not have to be taken because on re-reading the article it does state "we could achieve this goal" (goal being a higher safey level)I may have miss interruped the article. However it does sound to me that the course is required.  Confused ???

The Article is as follows:

Over the years our shooting discipline has improved to the point, we appreciate the safety it offers us as members and competitors. This by no means has come about by accident.The dedication of numerous people in Canada and the United States has given us the safety guidelines we use in our competitions and in our range operations. With these guidelines at our disposal, we now need to take safety to a higher level in Cowboy Action Shooting. After a lengthy discussion with other associated clubs in Western Canada, we could achieve this goal by having all members of our clubs take the Range Safety Operations (ROI) course as a mandatory requirement for competing at our range. This course should not be mistaken for a Range Safety Officers Course. The basics of this course will cover the rules and regulations for competing in Cowboy Action Shooting. It also covers the guidelines for the safe and smooth operation of a posse. Information is provided on what each posse member is responsible for, whether you are looking after the loading table or you are scoring for your fellow competitor on the shooting line. This course will show you how a knowledgeable posse should operate and the importance of each function within the posse. Having to compete within a posse, where everyone knows what to do and how to do it properly, lends itself to a situation where shooting becomes a pleasure and not a chore.
New members are in need of guidance and assistance while they learn what is required of them as a posse member. 9 times out of 10, they will approach an existing member for information and 10 out of 10 times, we as members, will offer our knowledge on what they require. Using the same guidelines from the ROI course, this new member will receive the correct information no matter which member he/she talks to. If you look into our 2008 schedule, the AFS will be offering two ROI courses this year. I do know, we have many members who already have the ROI and the ROII courses but if it has been a very long time since you have taken it, might be an idea to use one of these two ROI courses as a refresher. Some of the rules have changed over the years, improvements have been made
in the guidelines, and in general things change. Keeping up to date, gives you the confidence needed to compete in complete SAFM.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 09:44:32 AM »
I'm an AFS member and I haven't heard anything regarding the RO course being mandatory for any of our shoots.

Just as an aside, I just came back from Rocky (hammering and sawing on the "new" cowboy town) and it looks good.  Those that will be coming out for the Canadians in August will be impressed.

Haven't figured out how to post photos yet but, if you send me your email addy I will forward a couple of photos of our new main street (still under construction of course).

Cheers!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 03:18:48 PM »
Bufflerdoggie;

I had the same problem.  Do sign up for "photobucket' and all will work fine.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 05:57:22 PM »

I first heard about the possible new rule from another member, who had heard it from someone else. When I first read the article I agreed that the shoot was out for me until such time that I could take the course.  When I re-read the article later I though maybe I had misinterpreted the article, but I am not sure that I did.

On page 4 of the last Telegraph, Winter 2008, in the article Range Safety Operations Course there is a sentence that reads and I quote  "After a lengthy discussion with other associated clubs in Western Canada, we could achieve this goal by having all members of our clubs take the Range Safety Operations (ROI) course as a mandatory requirement for competing at our range"  Unquote. 

If the course is a requirement to shoot at RMH it makes it very hard for those of us who are to far away to take the course.  I was hoping someone could clear this up for me and for other non AFS members who could possibly avoid a long unnecessary trip and expense. 

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 08:51:23 PM »
Roy, why not contact Bernie Engel through the AFS website for clarification.  I read it as just in the talking stage at this point.

If they make it mandatory there will have to be a long lead in time.  Assuming it comes about, I can see something like by March 01, 2013 everyone involved with CAS shall be qualified RO1 to compete in CAS matches.

Regardless, I will ask Bernie about this on Friday which is when we have our next work party.

As for photos of the new town, I`m still fiddling with photobucket. :D
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Whoop-up Roy

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 06:39:29 PM »
I did contact AFS and it is just that a rumor.  It is not true. YeH!  We will be going to RMH this summer.

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »
I think that if a club or organization were to bring in a rule like that, they should provide a generous advance notice.  They should advertise the standards, and provide a chance for visitors to qualify at the match.

For experienced shooters, I have not noticed any problems with the standard safety meeting before the match.  Beginners should always be closely supervised, with patience, during the match.  Again, the standard of care I have observed everywhere has been of a very high order.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2008, 10:16:25 AM »
The first AFS shoot of the year in Rocky was cancelled this past weekend.  Thursday was +15C (+60F) with no snow on the ground.

Then on Friday, blizzard conditions, snow, high winds and of course high wind chill.  Today, still the same.   sigh!
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 678, SAWWS, WARTHOG, GOFWG, GAF
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2008, 07:43:39 AM »
The first AFS shoot of the year in Rocky was cancelled this past weekend.  Thursday was +15C (+60F) with no snow on the ground.

Then on Friday, blizzard conditions, snow, high winds and of course high wind chill.  Today, still the same.   sigh!

Shucks, I thought you Albertans were tough??

NTJ

Old Age and Treachery Will Overcome Youth and Skill
WARTHOG, SASS 678, GOFWG, GAF, Quigley Shooter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »
We get spoiled out here with all the Chinooks.  Our normal max for this time of year is 13 and min 0. The last few weeks we were walking around in either a light jacket or shirt sleeves.

Today is Tuesday, schools closed, blowing snow, wind chill -17C. 

At least most of the spring yardwork was completed prior to this last blast of winter.

There will be lots of happy farmers  (there's an oxymoron) with the needed moisture. ;)
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
Shucks, I thought you Albertans were tough?

Well, Jim ..... to summarize what BCLD said ... We're tough, not crazy!   ;D

Medicine Hat's first monthly shoot was scheduled for this past Sunday also, but did not go ahead.  We're hoping for this coming Sunday (the 27th) .... though we have so much snow that it's a possibility that, even if it melts by then, the ground may still be so wet that we won't be able to get in to the Cowboy Range, anyway ......
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 04:14:04 PM »
Your right Rattlesnake. I remember a may shoot that only got through one day. Dang it was cold that weekend.

NTJ

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »
9 & Jack;  Do you remember fort Kusk in August about 5 years back?

Offline Nine Toe Jim

• Top Active Citizen
    • ninetoejim
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008, 10:01:34 PM »
You Betcha, We drove up from Calgary and it was snowing - August Long weekend. Caribou Lefty was in a tent LOL

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008, 10:51:31 PM »
OH , YES!    :'(

Shootout at No Way Corral ....  August Long Weekend, 2002 ..... not-so-affectionately re-named "Winter Range" ....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com