Author Topic: Anyone near Maryland?  (Read 11591 times)

Offline Memphis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone near Maryland?
« on: February 08, 2014, 02:31:48 AM »
Hello all,

I've been browsing around the forums the past few days and all of this looks like a ton of fun. I have a mind towards historical accuracy and military history so I am particularly interested in the GAF as well as NCOWS. According to NCOWS's website, there are no Posses near me.

That leads me to my question for you. Are any of y'all near Maryland? I'd love to check this out in person some day. I don't mind doing some driving, but anything close is always a plus. Thanks in advance!
Semper Fidelis

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Anyone near Maryland?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 03:01:27 AM »
" build one they will come "  :)

Maryland is a bastion of Reenactors , and with Virginia & Penn. full of both Rev. War & ACW types, I believe you'll find many like minded folks. You are also in the mitts of the North-South Skirmish Association http://www.n-ssa.org/index.php

Closest NCOWS , I think might be the Saluda Saddle Tramps in SC or the Johnson County Rangers in Ky.  :-\

I faced the same dilemma, either wish for or start an NCOWS Posse'  - I chose to start one... took a bit of time & and persistence
but it paid off....

Start by reaching out to NCOWS ... how may we help ?
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 08:43:20 AM »
Hi CB There are members On the East Coast in general and members in Maryland in particular, but as has been said if you want to do this with out driving a few hours you may have to start your own local club which can definitely be done. I'd suggest you contact US Scout, Bull Schmidt, or Charles Isaac. The last I knew Charles had set up a place where he went to shoot on his own but he's in the Carolinas (I don't remember which one). In the mean time consider coming to Nebraska next June for the Grand Muster. You may get some ideas  of how you want to set up your matches.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:18:17 AM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 474
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »
Welcome Crashing Bacon.

Major 2 has it right about NCOWS.

Our National Convention & Sale is being held down by Branson, MO come the 27-29th of March. Check out the website for info, www.ncows.org

New this year, and what is generating a lot of buzz, is the hosting Posse, The Double M Cowboys, is sponsoring a six-stage match on the 27th that quite a few members have signed on for. Great opportunity to meet and shoot, or just get a lot of helpful ideas, on NCOWS arms and clothing. There are always interesting seminars as well.

The GAF technically exists only on the internet as a "big tent" to harbor all those whose interest in military history carried over into determining the kind of shooting persona they've adopted.  Our big event is the Grand Muster, - this year June 27 - 29th in Nebraska. See the info at top of this forum.
Same sentiment as Major 2 expressed. GAF members are eager to help out those who are interested. We are unique in many ways, one of which is formal Postal Shoots that allow you to compete at any range in your local area using our standard targets downloaded at our website and under rules set forward.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Memphis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:44:00 PM »
I appreciate everyone's advice. I'm certainly not opposed to forming a Posse, although I would prefer to do so with some more experienced hands than myself. I haven't even been to a CAS match at this point, so I fear it would be the blind leading the blind! Hopefully some interested fellows will come out of the woodwork and we can get something going.
Semper Fidelis

Offline Charles Isaac

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »
I'm right across the Chesapeake Bay from Maryland and shoot Krags in the local high power matches and even in the Eastern CMP Games at Camp Butner.

I made the trip to Nebraska from North Eastern NC for the '09 Muster and it was the best recreational shooting experience of my life. I hope to go this year too-great bunch of people to shoot with!

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
I made the trip to Nebraska from North Eastern NC for the '09 Muster and it was the best recreational shooting experience of my life. I hope to go this year too-great bunch of people to shoot with!

Excellent!

And all the Krag shooter's are rethinking their Main Battle rifle choice . . .

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 10:00:06 AM »
Would love to see you again Charles, and I think Salt Crick Rick will make it this year again.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 10:29:19 AM »
Glad to see you're still kicking, Charles! Hope you can make it out this year. Wonder how the race for 2nd place mislpec repeater will play out.....

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 11:03:43 AM »
Wonder how the race for 2nd place mislpec repeater will play out.....
It sounded like Drydock and Ned Neiderlander are going to  shoot other classes this year so with Pony Express and Cpl. Chauffeur I was hoping for maybe a 3rd place. Now I'm hoping for an "also ran".  :-[

Glad to hear you're considering it. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »
Dangit, nothing like the chance to go up against the Best!  At the very least, I'll RO or pick brass, just to watch him shoot!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »
Dangit, nothing like the chance to go up against the Best!  At the very least, I'll RO or pick brass, just to watch him shoot!

I might even get set up so I can come up and watch, I should have one or two helpers who can cover for a bit.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:10:56 PM »
I should have one or two helpers who can cover for a bit.
Yeah I have a couple of local boys who are expressing a desire to help you for the experience.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 07:57:19 AM »
Oh Lord! Delmonico and his remuda of Little Marys.

It's not quite the same as having minions, but it's close . . .

:P ;D

RCJ
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 12:17:55 PM »
Hi CB There are members On the East Coast in general and members in Maryland in particular, but as has been said if you want to do this with out driving a few hours you may have to start your own local club which can definitely be done. I'd suggest you contact US Scout, Bull Schmidt, or Charles Isaac. The last I knew Charles had set up a place where he went to shoot on his own but he's in the Carolinas (I don't remember which one). In the mean time consider coming to Nebraska next June for the Grand Muster. You may get some ideas  of how you want to set up your matches.

Some of us non-posse associated NCOWS members living in the MD/VA have tried to set up a posse in the past (more than once), but without success.  First off, we are scattered far and wide across the region, making it difficult to get together.  Secondly, we weren't having any luck finding a range to hold a match.  Everything was booked solid by other shooting clubs.  We also tried to recurit some new members but almost all said they didn't want to join until they'd been to a few NCOWS matches, which of course we were unable to hold.  Consequently, the idea slowly died, much to the disappointment of those who tried to raise a posse.

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 01:04:18 PM »
"... Everything was booked solid by other shooting clubs.  We also tried to recruit some new members but almost all said they didn't want to join until they'd been to a few NCOWS matches, which of course we were unable to hold.  Consequently, the idea slowly died, much to the disappointment of those who tried to raise a posse."

Yep  :)  I heard those and more.... but tenacity...paid off  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Memphis

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »

Some of us non-posse associated NCOWS members living in the MD/VA have tried to set up a posse in the past (more than once), but without success.  First off, we are scattered far and wide across the region, making it difficult to get together.  Secondly, we weren't having any luck finding a range to hold a match.  Everything was booked solid by other shooting clubs.  We also tried to recurit some new members but almost all said they didn't want to join until they'd been to a few NCOWS matches, which of course we were unable to hold.  Consequently, the idea slowly died, much to the disappointment of those who tried to raise a posse.

US Scout
Brig Gen, GAF

Trying to find a place to shoot was the first problem that crossed my mind. In any case, I will be attending a clinic for new CAS shooters in March. Perhaps I'll be able to do some networking and find others that are interested in the possibility of NCOWS. FYI, I am in Frederick County.
Semper Fidelis

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 07:40:15 AM »
"... Everything was booked solid by other shooting clubs.  We also tried to recruit some new members but almost all said they didn't want to join until they'd been to a few NCOWS matches, which of course we were unable to hold.  Consequently, the idea slowly died, much to the disappointment of those who tried to raise a posse."

Yep  :)  I heard those and more.... but tenacity...paid off  :)

I agree about tenacity, but back east here, we are losing ranges faster than we find new ones, and there is a lot of competition for the weekends.  I know of one club that lost their range but one of it's members donated some farm land.  When he died a few years later, the family wanted the land back for farming, so it was back to square one again.  It's a far different shooting environment here than further west.  Don't know about you, but I already drive close to 2 hours to shoot a Saturday or Sunday match.  Driving another 2-3 hours more to attend an NCOWS match would not be a monthly option. 

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »
It's a far different shooting environment here than further west.....Driving another 2-3 hours more to attend an NCOWS match would not be a monthly option. 
Yeah but then again out here we have to drive almost that far for groceries sometimes.  ;) ;D Still, I wouldn't trade you locations

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
Yeah but then again out here we have to drive almost that far for groceries sometimes.  ;) ;D Still, I wouldn't trade you locations

Camp Pitspiter is about 75-100 miles from the nearest Wal-Mart and Starbucks. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com