Author Topic: April showers and fresh coffee  (Read 18466 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: April showers and fresh coffee
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2021, 10:18:20 PM »
Thanks Glen,
you are my go-to-guy for culinary research, translating archaic menu requirements into modern availability.

It's not making sense sometimes, chuck roast is often $6-7 dollars a pound, I buy strip loins for $3.99 a pound, bought 3 eye of rounds the other day for 2 cents a pound less than bottom round.  Bacon 3 times higher than hams, bottom sirloin is double the price if they call it tri tip.  Call a steak from the bottom of the chuck a Denver steak and it's worth twice as much.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2021, 06:33:04 AM »
Evening Y'all, This has been a week from hell as far as cars are concerned. I was replacing the rear brakes on my wifes 300 c and one of the caliper slider bolts was frozen, called a buddy up to see if I could use his torches and he was out of gas and O2 for them. I call the parts suppliers around and found the part I needed in a town about 18 miles from me. I drive there and get the part, bring it home only to find out it's for solid rotor cars, not vented performance rotors. I end up taking the bracket off my Magnum and order the correct part from Rock Auto, because she needs her car for work. I get the part in, it's correct and I'm replacing the front brakes on my car and what do I find> Yup, a frozen caliper slider. I call around and find the part, Giving them the number off the bracket so they can cross reference it and they say yup, we have it. I go to pick it up and some young female waits on me, I give her the part number and she says "My computer says this isn't the right part.after explaining to her that the part number was cross referenced to the one I gave her she insists it's wrong and besides they didn't have it in stock anyway. I have her order the part and it comes in the next day,I take the old part with me because there is a core charge on it and it doesn't match. The girl isn't there so I can't yell at her.Told the guy the story about her and he says "Yeah, she does that a lot"Anyway, He tells me he has a loaded caliper at his other store and he'll get that and give me the bracket from it and order the correct part to replace it when in comes in  later in the week.Get that part home and the mounting holes which are threaded are 1/2 inch instead of 7/16.I finally find th correct part, get my car finished and here comes my sons jeep on a flatbead, the clutch went out in it.OK, project for the weekend. A little while later, my Mom calls and says her car dies and it won't restart.I drive to where she is and try to start it after checking the belts to make sure they aren't broken and find out the battery is dead and she thinks she's out of gas. Go home, get gas and jumper cables, go back put gas in car, hook up jumpers and get nothing. Have her car towed how, charge battery and try to start it, but it doesn't sound right. Open the oil fill and look in at the valves while cranking it over, no movement.The timing belt broke, and since it's a zero clearance engine, it took out some of the valves.Now I either have to find an engine for a 16 year old car or rebuild the top end, neither prospect that I'm looking forward to.
OK, Rant over.
Horse and buggy?

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2021, 06:34:38 AM »
Happy Resurrection Day.
Coffee and tea are hot.

'Tis 25 and cloudy. High of 72.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 03:56:55 PM »

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2021, 09:15:32 AM »
Happy Resurrection Day.
Coffee and tea are hot.

'Tis 25 and cloudy. High of 72.

Slim

He has Risen
Mathew 5.9

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2021, 12:43:41 PM »
Went and visited the Granddaughter since us adults have pretty well got our shots.  She likes nature stuff so I took her 5 hummingbird feeders and we'll see what happens, about time for them here.   

Weird, Rita and I totally forgot pictures.   

Steak and shrimp for supper, got some other stuff I'm going to do and bag.   Was nice, the other two got fast food last night when we got back to town, tossed a bag of my leftovers in a pot of water and let it boil about 45 minutes, sausage and cheese hash as good as it was 2-3 months ago.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2021, 06:29:36 AM »
Good Morning!
Hot coffee and water for tea. Breakfast will be our household favorite, eggs over easy on toasted waffles and a side order of three crisp bacon strips.

Had a hot one yesterday, 88℉. Rains are coming so cooling down later this week.

Brunch yesterday was . . . satisfactory. I've noticed that foods don't quite taste the same as I remember them. Either dulling of tastebuds, or glossed-over memory of younger days at the table.

It's a Monday, so plan accordingly.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2021, 07:24:35 AM »
Morning y'all.
Thanks for the coffee and grub.

'Tis 38 and cloudy. "Sunshine and clouds mixed. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 77F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph."

Slim

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2021, 11:39:39 AM »
It's Monday, I don't care. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2021, 12:51:17 PM »
Bought some extra thick-cut bacon at the store yesterday and Man!, they weren't kidding! 3/16" thick, easily. Took a bit longer to crisp and I had to make sure I didn't drop it on the plate else I may have cracked or shattered the plate.

By the time it was cooked it was a plank. It was almost like chewing jerky.

But tasty.

The menfolk approved, the womenfolk felt they were invited to a Lumberjack breakfast.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2021, 02:07:40 PM »
I get in trouble all the time for pointing out people want their steaks under cooked and their bacon over cooked.  A good way to stir up trouble in a cooking group.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2021, 03:34:38 PM »
My bacon has to be crisp enough that when you hold it by the tail it stands at attention.

None of that rubbery, undercooked stuff that you can't bite apart.
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2021, 05:40:19 PM »
In between is the best, if you can't bend it with out breaking it's over done, and it has to curl, hate it when I go out to eat and the bacon is flat, no idea why they make it flat unless they have a hospital cook.  ::)  Flat bacon is like jello, you feed it to people as punishment for being sick. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2021, 08:09:20 PM »
Ever had a BLT that you've craved for ever so long, and the first scrumptious bite all the innards pull out when you move it away from your mouth because the bacon wasn't crisp but pliable?
 >:( :(
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2021, 08:47:54 PM »
Ever had a BLT that you've craved for ever so long, and the first scrumptious bite all the innards pull out when you move it away from your mouth because the bacon wasn't crisp but pliable?
That's awful!  >:(

Slim

Offline The Trinity Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gathering of Freedom-Seed Spreaders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2021, 08:58:36 PM »
Evening all.

Weather bounced around between 30/freezing rain and 45/overcast. Made pumping tanks fun.

I take my steak medium, and my bacon chewy. Eggs over medium, in case anyone was wondering.  ::)

—TK
"Nobody who has not been up in the sky on a glorious morning can possibly imagine the way a pilot feels in free heaven." William T. Piper

I was told recently that I'm "livelier than a one-legged man at a butt-kicking contest."    Is that an insult or a compliment?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2021, 09:53:12 PM »

There is a half way in between that is right. ;)  Just a slight pressure with your incisors and you are through it.  right between 3 and 4 on this chart.  ::) 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2021, 10:05:36 PM »
Evening all.

Weather bounced around between 30/freezing rain and 45/overcast. Made pumping tanks fun.

I take my steak medium, and my bacon chewy. Eggs over medium, in case anyone was wondering.  ::)

—TK

Mine over hard, unbroken yolks, about as hard to get out eating as a steak done medium that is not tough and dry, better off most times doing it yourself. 

"Oh if you actually cook it you'll ruin it."  No you will ruin it, let me do it. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2021, 05:53:53 AM »
# 4 looks about right for me, though I would not turn down # 3 with eggs or in a BLT
..,the last one #6  is ruint, still its bacon and can be saved if you crumble it up in grits.

Steak ? , I prefer Medium to Med well... still I'm carnivore !   however  if a Veterinarian can still save it , I'll toss back on the fire.

Eggs ? over easy or  just about any prepared fashion , short of raw in glass .

mmmmmmmmmmm steak and eggs  :)

that said ...corn flakes are on tap this morning  ::)

enjoy your coffee  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2021, 07:13:38 AM »
Morning y'all.
Coffee and tea are hot.

#4.

'Tis 52, overcast and thunder to the west. Should get wet in about 15 minutes. "Thunderstorms during the morning will give way to mostly cloudy skies this afternoon. High 78F. Winds SSW at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 100%."

Slim

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2021, 08:49:37 AM »
Thanks for coffee, Slim.
Looks like rain today and probably over the next three days.

#4 or #5. When wife cooks it we often eat #6.

Steaks medium well (just a hint of blush in the center). Eggs over easy.

As long as we're listing:
Oatmeal thick enough a spoon stays upright when inserted (I've been served what I can only describe as "gruel" in restaurants - No, No, and Nope!).
if I have to fork through the gravy just to find bits of sausage, it ain't Sausage Gravy.
And freshly baked powder biscuits, please, not those store bought hockey pucks.
Also, if you serve me freshly baked bread you're my new best friend.
Real butter.
Fully steamed fresh veggies with still a little bit of tooth. None of that stuff that has been drowned in a tin can.

There, I feel better.

RCJ

NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com