Armi San Maco IAB Sharps 45-70 Carbine

Started by PJ Hardtack, January 24, 2018, 06:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJ Hardtack

There is a 45-70 Sharps carbine posted on the 'for sale' page at $650.

It would make a good entry level Sharps for a Cowboy budget.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Drydock

The IAB Sharps had a decent reputation.  Though some were known to have poorly reamed chambers. 
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

greyhawk

Quote from: Drydock on January 24, 2018, 08:25:46 PM
The IAB Sharps had a decent reputation.

I have an IAB Marcheno sharps --came to me cheap  - got the purtiest case colours I have seen on a sharps (any brand) been worked over by a very cluey gunsmith - good shooter - no problems since I had it .

major

The problem with IAB is that they went out of business many years ago and if you need a part for one you can't get it.  Sometimes you can  modify a part from another manufacturer but it winds costing 2 to 3 times the worth.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

PJ Hardtack

Sounds like what you'd have to go through to get an original shooting.

VTI might be a source for parts.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

major

I have several Civil War reenactor friends that have IAB Sharps and even VTI can't get parts for them.  Sometimes with a little modification we can get Armi-sport parts to work.
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

greyhawk

Quote from: major on January 25, 2018, 11:37:05 AM
I have several Civil War reenactor friends that have IAB Sharps and even VTI can't get parts for them.  Sometimes with a little modification we can get Armi-sport parts to work.

What parts do ya need?  mine never broke .......

major

Quote from: greyhawk on January 25, 2018, 04:31:05 PM
What parts do ya need?  mine never broke .......
It seams that main/sear spring have a tendency to break and sometime when cleaning parts get lost.  Otherwise they make a good gun.
Terry
Free Mason
Alabama Gun Slingers
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
© 1995 - 2024 CAScity.com