Author Topic: Help on cartidge strips  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help on cartidge strips
« on: October 10, 2005, 04:33:55 PM »
I am planing on making my own cartidge strips. and maybe gunbelts. What i would like to know is what do you use to cut the slots and what would a standard size be for the leather strips. and what tool do you use? I have made one and cut the slots by hand and that takes to long

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Help on cartidge strips
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 09:26:47 PM »
If I understand your question you want to do woven bullet loops on a loading strip.  Just a comment, these tend to be a bit fat on double sided models but will work.  I use woven loops on belts frequently and the good news is that my favorite punch for this is a cheep one.  I use the Rampart 3/4" punches from Hidecrafters or EBAY (Tandy sells a cheeper look alike but avoid it).  These actually take a pretty good edge and for the moderate price I can sharpen them a few times and chunk em.  The edge polishes fairly easy.  For 32/20 and larger case sizes I use 3/4" leather strips made from 4/5oz leather.  Hope this is what you were asking.  Oh, the main reason I like Rampart for this is the narrow slot it punches.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 09:55:08 PM »
If I understand your question you want to do woven bullet loops on a loading strip.  Just a comment, these tend to be a bit fat on double sided models but will work.  I use woven loops on belts frequently and the good news is that my favorite punch for this is a cheep one.  I use the Rampart 3/4" punches from Hidecrafters or EBAY (Tandy sells a cheeper look alike but avoid it).  These actually take a pretty good edge and for the moderate price I can sharpen them a few times and chunk em.  The edge polishes fairly easy.  For 32/20 and larger case sizes I use 3/4" leather strips made from 4/5oz leather.  Hope this is what you were asking.  Oh, the main reason I like Rampart for this is the narrow slot it punches.

I agree with Slowhand on this.  Tandy makes some good tools, but others aren't worth the money.  As for cutting your bullet loop strips....get yourself a metal yardstick.  Measure out your width and cut slowly and carefully with a very sharp Exacto Knife.  Don't try to do it in one cut.  Make several and take it slow and easy.

Edge finishing:  After you have your rig all together...you'll want to finish the raw edges of the leather.  This is a simple task.  Wet a sponge and get the leater edges wet.  Now use something smooth and made of either metal, or plastic.  The side of a cheap ball point pen works.  Rub the edges of the raw leather until they appear smooth.  Set it aside for a while, then check it.  If there are still some rough edges...repeat the task.  The other way to finish up raw leather edges is to lace them using the Mexican Basket Weave style of lacing.  This can be found in any lacing instruction book.

Good luck on this.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:48:06 AM »

Offline Bitterwheat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 09:43:33 AM »
Thanks Pards, you answered my questions

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk