Author Topic: Where to buy the Import version of the Malcom Scopes  (Read 8053 times)

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Just taking one day at a time!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Where to buy the Import version of the Malcom Scopes
« on: November 02, 2008, 06:46:37 AM »
Howdy Pards,
one day i saw someplace that sold the reproduction imported version of the malcom scopes! i would love to have a Malcom, but cannot afford one>
I would be great for any help!
thanks
ace
member of the Cas City Leather family!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Where to buy the Import version of the Malcom Scopes
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 09:18:36 PM »
Someone, was importing Hanok 32" scopes, and also Tasco several years ago imported a long scope! Just thought someone might know, some place that might have one, or had used one, and could telling the good and the bad!

I would br great full if ayone can advise,
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 05:18:52 PM »
A. L., please accept the following in the good faith it is posited...
Here are some comments gleaned from a forum search of folks who have purchased and 'tried' to mount an inexpensive Chinese Leatherwood Malcolm-style scope. The comments can be seen on the Shiloh website forum and the BPCR forum.
http://shilohrifle.com/forums/search.php?mode=results
http://www.bpcr.net/index-a.htm
Buffaloarms.com carries the Leatherwood and other high end scopes such as MVA, the gold standard for BPCR. There is a feller named Romano who makes a handmade Malcolm-style scope for reenactors, it runs around $900 and he hand-makes the tube, mounts, etc., to your specs. He can be found at www.romanorifle.com
I'm sure you'll find the comments interesting as to use, mounting and durability. The brass Tasco scopes Dixie Arms sells, or has sold, are OK but the same applies to the mounts, they may not fit and may be subject to problems when using heavy bullets some have commented on in various forums. Perhaps it is true when they say "Less is really more..." in the long run if you can hit the target consistently with or without a scope that meets your own personal specifications and range. For example, the Leatherwood may cost around $600 plus extra for better heavy duty mounts and a lot of retrofitting as compared to $900 or so for an MVA and it fits right the first time and never stops performing to your expectations.
Ace, kind soul, this is not my forum, I'm just a humble old fart like many others trying to help and encourage those with problems to keep them afloat long enough to get to the range without going bananas like I did the first 5 years in this wild and crazy hobby. I apologize if in my zeal to make your problems go away fast I have given you the feeling that I'm an expert as I'm not. I also suffer from many of the same physical vagaries you do, we could probably both match meds and health issues and come out at taw, so please don't think you are out there alone, you are blessed and all of us hope and pray you can come up with a positive workable solution to get you where you want to be on the range or in the field during hunting season.
Best regards, good shooting and I hope you can get to the Spring Shoot listed at the top of this forum!
'Ol Gabe

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:42:03 PM »

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »
Thanks Gabe for the info, I wood love to have a Malcom and maybe I will someday! I will aslo agree that cheap is most of the time cheap! I have owned several Tasco scopes, I have owned Leoupold, and Redfield, and back when I was young , around here if you had a Redfield, you were top dog! I had no idea about the real High quiality Glass, other than I had Carl Ziess lens on my Med. format and large format camera's. I only had 1 Tasco go bad, and back then the service was excellent!
 I was trying to keep from spending $250.00 on a good rear site if I was going to scope it.
 I think or I hope I think that I have my bullet problems fixed, all my fault ::) ::) Never poured for b.P. bullets, never loaded for b.p. whole new word!
thanks for the links,

ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 07:11:54 PM »
 Howdy Ol Gabe & Ace  :D ;D

I'm glad you both came to an understanding, I was feeling bad for both of you.. :'( ;D

tEN wOLVES  ;) :D ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
 :)Gabe,
 Thanks for the links, they have turn into a gold mine of info! I have the plans to build a 32" scope for my rolling block! also have found a place to buy the mounts! If the scope turns out to be strong enough for the big 45-70 B.P., I found a dealer to sell me the Malcom style mounts. the nice thing about this project, it won't cost a lot to build the scope, if it doesn't work out, it won't be that big of loss!

Gabe, I am sorry that we got off on the wrong foot! And hope that all that is behinds us!
Thanks again for the advice!
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 08:15:54 AM »
Howdy Ace,

I just picked up a free copy of "Black Powder Guns & Hunting" form my local Sportsmen's Warehouse. There was an add from Powder Inc. mentioning Malcolm Scopes. Here is the link to their website www.powderinc.com
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
Thanks Johnny!!
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Sgt. Jake

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »
         Ace    I didnt know you were looking for a malcom scope. When we talked this aftrernoon ,one of the noticable differences in the MVA and the Leatherwood,to me is the eye relief. The Leather wood has genrous eye relief,whereas the MVA s of three four years ago dont,like I explained I was abe to work around that,wasnt cheap or quick. I am very pleased with MVA,maybe they have changed the relief,I know they offer more models qnd lengths ,now than then. Where there is a big difference is in the mounts,night and day,the MVA is rock solid repeatable.not plumbing fixtures,JMO.     Good Luck  Sgt. Jake

Offline Ace Lungger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 03:58:32 PM »
 :)howdy SGT.
 I have shifted gears, going with the Long Range Creedmore site and the Lyman 17 serious front on the Rolling Block! i was looking for a Hi Wall or Ballard Kit when I found the Rolling Block Barrel action.The rolling block is a Black Powder only SWede H, Who every started this project, started it before or during 1995 and stopped, the barrel is a 45-70 - 34" long made buy and installed by Les Bashau from Mt. and the resaon I know this is it is dated 1995, The action is in the white and looks nice, I made a extractor and installed it, and I redone the breech block from Rim to Center fire!
 I found a super nice guy that just as same as gave me a D.P. Creedmore, and Ihad bought the Lyman 17 front sight  from another nice gentleman who sold it to me, for almost nothing. I got the butt stock inletted and put on today, so I am not to far away on having it done!
 Here a months ago, a guy gave me a lead on a place to buy a super high quaility Hi Wall kit, I called and ask if they still sold kits and the lady said yes, but they were out of the casting, and that they were going to be making a casting run soon, so I figured it would be 6 month or longer, so I put in my order for a Hi Wall DST kit! While out see my son i got a call saying my kit was ready to ship, so when I got home, I sent a money order and it should be in this week sometime. I won't have the money to start buying anything for it untill next spring, if then. I have the wood, a beatifull set of Claro Walnut, but it cost more to have my wood inletted than it does to buy a stock set, but since this will be the last B.P. rifle i am going to build, I want to do it up right, either a Green Mountain Barrel Or a Badger barrel, I belive I will put on a MVA Scope, I went to Hi Lux and looked at the Leatherwood, they don't show to make a Hi Wall scope in the 30 " . I  also will study the mounts, before buying, I like the looks of the Hi Lux rear scope mount for the shorter scope??
 I am hopeing that if I am lucky and can still walk next spring, I would like to see if I can find a shoot that is within 200 miles and go visit with the shooters, and look and see what anyone is using. This will be my main play toy, 38-55, shooting a 250-300 grain bullet.
 I hope that I havn't bored you to death, i just wanted you to know what I was doing, now if you find a bargin on a used scope, that you don't want, give me a shout, i still got a lot of stuff I am selling!
Keep in touch
ACE
Member of Storms
Member of Brown
SASS # 80961

Offline Sgt. Jake

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 07:51:49 AM »
   Ace    Great news,not one but two rifles to work on. Sounds like you are close on the Roller. If you are refering to BPCR,Quaility iron is still the leader when it comes to sights. IIRC K. Wasserberger won a long range title this early spring with a MVA. Speaking of scopes,when you mentioned a scope length,let me tell you of my woes. The only person I could find who knew what I was talking about,was a bench rest comp.& gunsmith. He said to me when it came to what scope length to order,even with the Pope sliding rib,you dont want your objective too close to the muzzle. I hadnt thought about that,he proceded to pull out some of his classic comp. rifles with Lyman Target Spots & A-5 s,to see the way he had set them up. The light bulb came on,if the sope is close or slightly beyond the muzzle the scope or objective lense takes a lot of abuse,aka muzzel blast. On a 30" rarrel I went with a 28"  scope length,when the scope is slid back in to battery the objective is aprox 4 1/2 " behind the muzzel,and no clouding of the lenese,Just some food for thought.              Adios  Sgt.Jake

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com